Player Discussion Brandon Manning

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006
Three days ago everyone was sure that the team was going to blow up with Manning on it because Connor is like a 14 year old girl who is still obsessing over something Manning said to him on the ice years ago. After two games of solid relatively mistake free play and ample evidence of a healthy mean streak from Manning there are people still clinging to this narrative? Wow, usually you have to visit a political message board to see this level of delusion. I welcome Manning to the team and can't wait for him to introduce himself to little Johnny Hockey the next time we play the Flames.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
His mobility is limited but he competes hard, takes no **** from anyone and has shown the ability to get pucks up to the forwards on lengthy passes. As a 3rd pairing defenseman he looks serviceable out there and after 2 games, better than what Chicago fans described to us.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Jones deserves to stay right now, he has looked very good.
I agree. But eventually the fact that Jones is waiver exempt will likely see him going down. They can waive Gravel but would they waive one of Manning, Benning or Petrovic? Maybe Benning since he is not a guy they just gave up assets for. BUt I doubt they would do this in season if they could send Jones back.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I agree. But eventually the fact that Jones is waiver exempt will likely see him going down. They can waive Gravel but would they waive one of Manning, Benning or Petrovic? Maybe Benning since he is not a guy they just gave up assets for. BUt I doubt they would do this in season if they could send Jones back.

Do we get a vote? My vote is waive Benning!

Reactions: North

North

Jun 25, 2009
Which is pathetic in and of itself.

This is what happens when you have injuries to defenseman like Klefbom, Russell, and Sekera. If we had all three of those guys like they were when they were injury free our d would be leaps and bounds better but we haven’t had a fully healthy d corps since Sekera got injured in the playoffs.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He makes less mistakes than Benning so I guess I'm fine with him on the bottom pairing with how he's played so far.

When Klef and Russell return I'd prefer to see:

Klef-Lars
Nurse-Russell
Jones-Petrovic
Manning

If Sekera can make it back and look half decent then I think Petrovic drops to the 7th D. Jones has looked good enough to keep his spot over those two, and really he brings a nice dimension we lack on the back end.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
Both Manning and Petrovic have been serviceable as bottom pairing Dmen so far. Petrovic is a better skater than I remembered and his first pass hasn't been a complete disaster; he very well could be a better option than Benning if he keeps his level of play up. They're obviously not long-term solutions for anything, but they're an improvement on what we had and serviceable stop-gaps until we get healthy. Why it took this long to make any improvements to the defensive depth in the organization is anyone's guess.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
His mobility is limited but he competes hard, takes no **** from anyone and has shown the ability to get pucks up to the forwards on lengthy passes. As a 3rd pairing defenseman he looks serviceable out there and after 2 games, better than what Chicago fans described to us.

That's why I think for whatever reason he just didn't "click" in Chicago. Let him get accustomed to the coaching, the system and his teammates before slapping the "trash" label on him. This road trip is important to him and Petrovic to bond with his new teammates.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Wow the clear hate you have for Manning isn't obvious at least. I'm now wondering if you have actually watched his few games as an Oiler.
He's an expensive and bad hockey player who doesn't make the team better. There are already enough of those players here, adding another one while pretending he's something that he's not, doesn't help.

Brandon Manning is terrible.

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
I have, he's been just awful

Edit: He's not better then Jones or Gravel, and there are other guys who still play infront of those 2. He's awful

200w.gif

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

It’s difficult (and often inaccurate) to evaluate a player in a vacuum, while Stan Bowman has made some odd decisions, he’s not terrible IMO (though he’s hit his expiration date with the Hawks). They liked what they saw of him in Philly obviously (and must have had some competition as we know Chia was interested last year and also given what Manning signed for there must have been other suitors). A lot of people were determined that he is garbage but Chicago has been a tire fire this year. As we know all too well, it’s usually not just the player to blame for lacklustre performance. Happens to every team where a player regains form on another team after a short stint with them. Fingers crossed that we are the beneficiaries in this case.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
It’s difficult (and often inaccurate) to evaluate a player in a vacuum, while Stan Bowman has made some odd decisions, he’s not terrible IMO (though he’s hit his expiration date with the Hawks). They liked what they saw of him in Philly obviously (and must have had some competition as we know Chia was interested last year and also given what Manning signed for there must have been other suitors). A lot of people were determined that he is garbage but Chicago has been a tire fire this year. As we know all too well, it’s usually not just the player to blame for lacklustre performance. Happens to every team where a player regains form on another team after a short stint with them. Fingers crossed that we are the beneficiaries in this case.

Problem with Manning, given our cap situation, is just the extra year IMO and the cap hit.

But if you just look at it from a "where he plays" perspective, as a bottom pairing D
he' fine. Better than Benning for sure

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad