Player Discussion Brandon Manning

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
Explain how Manning has been awful so far? Or is he awful in your mind because he hurt Mcdavid?
No kidding. He hasn't been awful whatsoever. In fact, I've thought he's looked pretty good. Certainly not the train wreck most everyone on these boards made him out to be.

Reactions: MikeFLB

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Explain how Manning has been awful so far? Or is he awful in your mind because he hurt Mcdavid?
Have you not actually watched him? He made to hits in his first game, yay, then completely failed on the GWG, then got walked in the 1st period last night by Richard Panik and that resulted in him eventually playing only 13:43 for the game.

Brandon Manning, is a more Grittier, less talented Matt Benning who is more expensive. He's awful

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I always felt like Petrovic had been passed by as the game seemingly gets faster every year. At least you guys didn't give up much for these two...as odd as the trades seemed.
The trades were not great, I mean Petrovic is an upgrade on Wideman (not worth the cost), but the Manning trade is completely idiotic.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
The trades were not great, I mean Petrovic is an upgrade on Wideman (not worth the cost), but the Manning trade is completely idiotic.

Both trades were garbage but IMO, Manning has been the lesser of the 2 evils if you want to be objective about it.

He's playing his bottom pairing role 'ok'...better and safer than Benning IMO.

Petrovic has been a disaster both top and middle pairing.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Have you not actually watched him? He made to hits in his first game, yay, then completely failed on the GWG, then got walked in the 1st period last night by Richard Panik and that resulted in him eventually playing only 13:43 for the game.

Brandon Manning, is a more Grittier, less talented Matt Benning who is more expensive. He's awful

I've watched every minute and I think he's been alright so far and far from awful. Last night he looked good and you want to judge a guy in his first game on a new team vs the Jets go ahead. Other than a few mistakes in that game he didn't look too bad either.

You think he's there to play big minutes? 13 mins sounds good for a 5/6 d man.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Both trades were garbage but IMO, Manning has been the lesser of the 2 evils if you want to be objective about it.

He's playing his bottom pairing role 'ok'...better and safer than Benning IMO.

Petrovic has been a disaster both top and middle pairing.
Petrovic has been a disaster, yet is earning more icetime. Manning is just awful, like REALLY awful. I get he had to big hit against the Jets, that doesn't make up for him just being bad.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I've watched every minute and I think he's been alright so far and far from awful. Last night he looked good and you want to judge a guy in his first game on a new team vs the Jets go ahead. Other than a few mistakes in that game he didn't look too bad either.

You think he's there to play big minutes? 13 mins sounds good for a 5/6 d man.
You don't understand this at all. Petrvoic played 22 mins, not sure why you're so attached to Manning, but he's garbage.

North

Jun 25, 2009
You don't understand this at all. Petrvoic played 22 mins, not sure why you're so attached to Manning, but he's garbage.

You're on an island. Manning has been fine. He gets pucks out of the zone consistently which his partner doesn’t do.

Reactions: frag2

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Haven't minded either of them. A few dumb plays, but those are occuring at a lower place vs. what the guys they replaced did.

Plus I've seen the odd good player out of both of them that has surprised me (though that's due to super low expectations).

Neither should ever play more than ~15 min, but they're enough to stem the bleeding.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Not sure where to post this. How have Manning and/or Petrovic looked in their first action?
Manning has been fairly uneventful in a good way and Petrovic varies from looking smooth to occasionally lost/bumbling the puck. Both are an upgrade on Wideman and Garrison which needed to happen with 3 regulars out.

I understand some are upset about the cap space, but IMO the assets given were peanuts concidering standing pat was basically flushing the season halfway through it. Could still be a case of Chai moving the right assets for the correct needs while targeting the wrong players, but might as well let time tell.

Reactions: Oilhawks

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013

I'm not attached to Manning I'm saying he's not garbage as you say he is. Maybe you don't understand the difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad