Player Discussion Brandon Manning

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Problem with Manning, given our cap situation, is just the extra year IMO and the cap hit.

But if you just look at it from a "where he plays" perspective, as a bottom pairing D
he' fine. Better than Benning for sure

I agree, I’m thinking they might look at offloading Benning and going with Jones or someone else on the right for next year. Manning would likely sign for less or the cap inflation would make a similar amount more palatable for a solid third pair D.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
trades for Manning and Petrovic. hmmmm. is Nurse on the block?
Not yet, Oilers need who they have right now lol. That being said, Chiarelli has positioned the Oilers to be able to make a move for an impact forward if Hitchcock and the team can get themselves in a position to be buyers at the deadline. We have 10(!) Defencemen once everyone is back from injury. Jones could be sent down, but they might rather keep him in the lineup. As long as we don't have more injury problems on defence, I think we're going to see at least one defenceman moved out by the deadline, either for a forward on expiring contract for a playoff push, or for a pick/prospect if we're out of the race.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not yet, Oilers need who they have right now lol. That being said, Chiarelli has positioned the Oilers to be able to make a move for an impact forward if Hitchcock and the team can get themselves in a position to be buyers at the deadline. We have 10(!) Defencemen once everyone is back from injury. Jones could be sent down, but they might rather keep him in the lineup. As long as we don't have more injury problems on defence, I think we're going to see at least one defenceman moved out by the deadline, either for a forward on expiring contract for a playoff push, or for a pick/prospect if we're out of the race.

How do you think he'll do that? Firstly, anyone of note will come in with a larger cap hit, and we are already against the cap. Secondly, what do we have to trade? Unless you're dipping into Klef, Nurse, Ruyssell, Jones, Nuge, McD, or Drai, or even Chiasson, who is left other than a bunch of scrubs? Do you think someone is going to take three Brandon Mannings for a good player?
Face it, Chia has backed us into a such a corner this year and it's going to be awfully hard to get anything back in a trade other than some maybes.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Yeah this is pretty much correct IMO. Petrovic hasn't been AWFUL, but he hasn't been great. Manning is downright terrible for the most part. Simply terrible.

Petrovic is getting far more difficult minutes though and coming right onto a new team and playing top4 minutes. Manning is just cleaning up against bottomsix. I think when people are making the comments they are not even factoring in the relative usage.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
How do you think he'll do that? Firstly, anyone of note will come in with a larger cap hit, and we are already against the cap. Secondly, what do we have to trade? Unless you're dipping into Klef, Nurse, Ruyssell, Jones, Nuge, McD, or Drai, or even Chiasson, who is left other than a bunch of scrubs? Do you think someone is going to take three Brandon Mannings for a good player?
Face it, Chia has backed us into a such a corner this year and it's going to be awfully hard to get anything back in a trade other than some maybes.
Well we are going to have some extra defenceman. Those will be a priority to move rather than lose on waivers. Any of the following are probably most likely: Nurse, Benning, Petrovic, Manning, gravel. The point is it will be a defenceman (at least 1). Between the cap hit saved on any of those guys, and our remaining LTIR pool, we'd have the cap space to bring in a mid-range forward on an expiring contract. Need to clear a bit of cap space going into next season most likely, since the LTIR space will be gone, which is why it would make sense to move out salary for an expiring contract. If we're not in the playoffs picture, at least one defenceman still needs to be moved as long as we don't have injury problems, in which case you go for a pick/prospect.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Given the makeup of our team and the fact that we added 2 physical D, I think that Nurse gets moved for a legit top 6 forward. Pure speculation on.my part.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
ha, if Brandon Manning/Petrovic result in the trading of Nurse we should dislike this additions even more. Get rid of Sekera if anybody will take him. He's hardly ever even in the lineup. Nurse contract isn't hurting the team, has the most offensive upside of any of our D thus far, and is always willing to do whatever is asked. People forget Nurse is still young as a D and has been thrown into the deep end for two seasons now handling more than he should be. On most teams Nurse would be getting a lot more help than he does here. All he does is show up every night, play big minutes here and people rag on him not being better.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Manning and Petrovic adds were just desperation moves to make up for the loss of Klefbom and Russell. I don't think there's really any long term impact or intention with those trades.

Reactions: fuswald

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I see Nurse as not expendable because of the addition of Petro and Manning, but essentially the centerpiece to return as a good forward that will break the Oilers free of this bubble they're in.

Nurse+Pulju+Lucic(if he waives)

for a signed Stone

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I see Nurse as not expendable because of the addition of Petro and Manning, but essentially the centerpiece to return as a good forward that will break the Oilers free of this bubble they're in.

for a signed Stone
Lol every Oiler fan wishes Ottawa would go for this. Not a chance.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

for a signed Stone

I just don't understand the merry-go-round. Didn't we just trade a good forward 3 years ago to get a dman?

Reactions: TB12 and Consultant

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
ha, if Brandon Manning/Petrovic result in the trading of Nurse we should dislike this additions even more. Get rid of Sekera if anybody will take him. He's hardly ever even in the lineup. Nurse contract isn't hurting the team, has the most offensive upside of any of our D thus far, and is always willing to do whatever is asked. People forget Nurse is still young as a D and has been thrown into the deep end for two seasons now handling more than he should be. On most teams Nurse would be getting a lot more help than he does here. All he does is show up every night, play big minutes here and people rag on him not being better.

I hear you and TBH they don't make him expendable, the emergence of Jones may on the flip side. No one wants Sekera at his cap and he is a buyout candidate if he doesn't return to form. Russell is a guy that we could trade to free some cap but is probably a guy that we'd like to keep and could re-sign fairly easily. Klefbom and Larsson are our defacto top pairing when everyone is healthy and are signed for multiple years at a reasonable cap. That leaves us with a bunch of depth guys and Nurse. Jones has 1 more cheap ELC season and Bouchard still has 3. Nurse has made it known that he wants to be paid and will likely be pushing hard for that after next season. Now I am not advocating trading Nurse, but if he brings us a better defenseman or a high end forward I'd at least have to listen to the offer. We shouldn't be looking at dealing him but Connor, Drai and Nuge are on an island up front with little to no help and we are stuck with massive contracts that aren't doing jack **** for us right now in Lucic and Sekera. .

Manning and Petrovic adds were just desperation moves to make up for the loss of Klefbom and Russell. I don't think there's really any long term impact or intention with those trades.

Petrovic I could see, Manning has another season remaining and we kicked tires on him last season as well.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I just don't understand the merry-go-round. Didn't we just trade a good forward 3 years ago to get a dman?

Since that time we haven't added anyone of significance up front or on the blueline. Puljujarvi and Yamamoto are trying to find their way, Lucic or Lurch as you call him has 2 goals in spite of being the biggest and strongest player on the ice in most of the games that he plays and still not able to find rebound, deflections or even be a royal PITA to goalies. Lastly Sekera went from a damn solid veteran tow way defenseman to what sounds like all but a lost cause.

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011

That is the problem with most trades....you're robbing Peter to pay Paul. Taking players from a position of strength and adding to the weakness. Few years ago we were overflowing with forwards and needed D man. Fast forward a few years and guess what...we have a sh!t load of D but no winger depth.

What hurts is the gambles that don't pay off (Lucic) or our prospects that don't pan out (Jesse)

Can you imagine how much better off we would be if Lucic was the perennial 50 pt player, 20+ goal scorer he was when we signed him and Jesse was the legitimate 4th overall pick he was supposed to be, evolving into a star. We'd be in pretty decent shape, two legitimate lines. Then we make a few tweaks and go from being a good team to a great team.

I believe he main reason people don't like the Manning trade is not necessarily what Manning brings on the ice, or losing Caggiula......It was the tension with him and Connor. If nothing happened between Manning and McDavid, I don't think fans would be so negative.

I'm not praising Chia by any means but I do like the fact that he trys. For years we've had GMs that sit of their hands waiting for the perfect deal. Peter is a gambler, sometimes you win, sometimes you get your a$$ handed to you.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
That is the problem with most trades....you're robbing Peter to pay Paul. Taking players from a position of strength and adding to the weakness. Few years ago we were overflowing with forwards and needed D man. Fast forward a few years and guess what...we have a sh!t load of D but no winger depth.

What hurts is the gambles that don't pay off (Lucic) or our prospects that don't pan out (Jesse)

Can you imagine how much better off we would be if Lucic was the perennial 50 pt player, 20+ goal scorer he was when we signed him and Jesse was the legitimate 4th overall pick he was supposed to be, evolving into a star. We'd be in pretty decent shape, two legitimate lines. Then we make a few tweaks and go from being a good team to a great team.

I believe he main reason people don't like the Manning trade is not necessarily what Manning brings on the ice, or losing Caggiula......It was the tension with him and Connor. If nothing happened between Manning and McDavid, I don't think fans would be so negative.

I'm not praising Chia by any means but I do like the fact that he trys. For years we've had GMs that sit of their hands waiting for the perfect deal. Peter is a gambler, sometimes you win, sometimes you get your a$$ handed to you.

Nope, I'm not upset about getting Manning because of past history with McD. Matter of fact, I never really thought of it as an issue. I didn't like it because I think Manning is a shitty hockey player.

As for Chiarelli and his gambles, it would be nice after 4 long years if he started winning more than he loses. That is the sign of a competent GM. No one expect a guy to win every deal/signing, but when you have a long history of bad ones, that should be more than enough evidence to come to a conclusion and move on. It's arguable that even if he had done nothing but draft and develop like the guys before him , that we would be in a better spot.

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
We've seen more than our share of that and not enough of the flip side of it. We simply cannot afford to get our ass handed to us in trades any more.

I agree a 100% but what happens now is that looking for the perfect trade (which more than likely doesn't exist) results in being too "tight", too scared.....it may hurt us in the quest to better the team.

Tough to compare UFAs in the summer to acquisitions mid year but can you imagine where this team would be without taking the HUGE gamble on Koskinen. Peter won't take that gamble now....is that good or bad?

I'm torn between Chia screwing up again and Chia too scared not to screw up again....does that make sense?

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
Nope, I'm not upset about getting Manning because of past history with McD. Matter of fact, I never really thought of it as an issue. I didn't like it because I think Manning is a ****ty hockey player.

As for Chiarelli and his gambles, it would be nice after 4 long years if he started winning more than he loses. That is the sign of a competent GM. No one expect a guy to win every deal/signing, but when you have a long history of bad ones, that should be more than enough evidence to come to a conclusion and move on. It's arguable that even if he had done nothing but draft and develop like the guys before him , that we would be in a better spot.

I don't disagree with regards to Chia gambling record, although I actually believe that the number of moves Chia has made has been more positive than negative but his screw ups have been major. Like playing 20 hands of black jack and winning 12 but when you win you're only betting $5 per hand, the 8 you lost you had $25 on the table each time.

When Peter gambles big...he loses big. When he gambles small....he wins small. There is a massive difference.

FWIW, I don't mind Manning so far. It has only been two games though, we will see lol

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I don't disagree with regards to Chia gambling record, although I actually believe that the number of moves Chia has made has been more positive than negative but his screw ups have been major. Like playing 20 hands of black jack and winning 12 but when you win you're only betting $5 per hand, the 8 you lost you had $25 on the table each time.

When Peter gambles big...he loses big. When he gambles small....he wins small. There is a massive difference.

FWIW, I don't mind Manning so far. It has only been two games though, we will see lol

I was going to relate Chia's record to winning big at the penny slots and crashing on the 5 dollar ones. But we come to the same conclusion on that. I think he might be starting to lose more penny bets though than winning at this point.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
His mobility is limited but he competes hard, takes no **** from anyone and has shown the ability to get pucks up to the forwards on lengthy passes. As a 3rd pairing defenseman he looks serviceable out there and after 2 games, better than what Chicago fans described to us.

For us he was the worst player on the ice every night. I hope he turns it around for you guys, but I’ll be surprised.

Reactions: Aerrol

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
After watching Hakstol play Manning for years over sanheim, ghost, provorov and others, I can assure you he will not turn it around. No matter how many times boxcar tells you it will happen

Reactions: Aerrol and boxcar65

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->