Player Discussion Brandon Manning

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I’m so close to just boycotting this team as much as it would pain me, I’ve been so loyal like many of you to this team through everything.

McDavid deserves so much better than this. It’s utterly sickening.

Reactions: TB12

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I honestly don't blame the kid for chirping McDavid. Trying to throw McDavid off his game and get the win (Philly did end up winning that game).

That's gamesmanship. Rats usually find a way to win teammates over. Matt Cooke always seemed to be comfy with his teammates.

I will have a much bigger issue if this guy continues to play for us like he did for Chicago. Absolute garbage.

My thoughts exactly. The McDavid incident is irrelevant IMO....NHL players will do anything to get a player like McDavid off of his game. Who can blame them. This isnt close to being at Matt Cooke level though.
Ultimately its how he plays that really matters.
Thats why i have posted previously (amidst all the noise) that I would like to know what happened in Chicago because for the most part he was a decent player in Philly.

Reactions: fuswald

talitintti

Oct 13, 2018
Thats why i have posted previously (amidst all the noise) that I would like to know what happened in Chicago because for the most part he was a decent player in Philly.
Yet on the Philly board they are legitimately calling him the worst defenceman in the world. Exactly the same as the Chicago board.

A player whose advanced stats suck and sucks by the eye-test probably sucks for real.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Decent ahl d. At least plays a little physical but very very vulnerable when playing against mediocre to decent nhl talent.

This reminds me straight up of the Cam Barker era.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yet on the Philly board they are legitimately calling him the worst defenceman in the world. Exactly the same as the Chicago board.

A player whose advanced stats suck and sucks by the eye-test probably sucks for real.

Yeah...I have learned over the years that the general credibility of a board is very thin. There is some thoughtful objectiveness but fot the most part its just fans being fans (hive mind stuff) and that doesnt exactly produce an abundance of intelligent thoughtful conversation.

I have 2 friends (who are Philly fans) which I have talked hockey with for many years and they tell me that there is a player there. It might be too late for Manning...thats possible (he is 28) but I am willing to wait and see how this plays out. He moves the puck well...is an okay skater (much better than Garrison) and is mean as hell. Inconsistency and injuries have been an issue for him.
Deployment matters a lot and sometimes a new start works to a players advantage.
I want to see what Hitch and Manny can impart on Manning.

It makes perfect sense to me that these deals were a collaborative effort between Hitch and Chia. Its not a surprise that 2 of the players who just got traded were 2 of the worst defensive players on the team. Caggiula was an incredibly frustrating player to watch....his defensive indifference wont be missed by me at all. You dont win with players like that.

Last edited:

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
As a Hawks fan I can tell you that you will be extremely disappointed in him pinching thinking he is some O juggernaut leaving an odd man rush the other way. At least once or twice a game. And he will ofte look lost in front of the net as he misses his assignment on a regular basis. He was the worst we had and that is quite an accomplishment when you have Seabrook on his deal crapping the bed. Hawks fans are joyous.

Just hope he has a fit for you. Probably not a bad person but he has no business on an NHL Roster in my opinion.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah...I have learned over the years that the general credibility of a board is very thin. There is some thoughtful objectiveness but fot the most part its just fans being fans (hive mind stuff) and that doesnt exactly produce an abundance of intelligent thoughtful conversation.

I have 2 friends (who are Philly fans) which I have talked hockey with for many years and they tell me that there is a player there. It might be too late for Manning...thats possible (he is 28) but I am willing to wait and see how this plays out. He moves the puck well...is an okay skater (much better than Garrison) and is mean as hell. Inconsistency and injuries have been an issue for him.
Deployment matters a lot and sometimes a new start works to a players advantage.

It makes perfect sense to me that these deals were a collaborative effort between Hitch and Chia. Its not a surprise that 2 of the players who just got traded were 2 of the worst defensive players on the team. Caggiula was an incredibly frustrating player to watch....his defensive indifference wont be missed by me at all. You dont win with players like that.
How about the fact that Chicago was sweating trying to find someone to take him and no one wanted him without being paid to do so....except us.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
How about the fact that Chicago was sweating trying to find someone to take him and no one wanted him without being paid to do so....except us.

I never said he was doing well in Chicago. Never mentioned it at all. Not playing well on a new team for less than half a season isnt exactly ground breaking stuff though so I dont give it that much weight.
Like I said...i want to see for myself before I judge this.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
In that video he shows more skill than most of our defensemen. I'm willing to give him a chance if our captain is.
To be fair... that was like...half his NHL goals and he is 28 years old. He has 12 career goals in 234 games. Thats less offense than Kris Russell

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I never said he was doing well in Chicago. Never mentioned it at all. Not playing well on a new team for less than half a season isnt exactly ground breaking stuff though so I dont give it that much weight.
Like I said...i want to see for myself before I judge this.
Fair but he was bad in Philly, bad in Chicago, bad stats wise, bad advanced stat wise and is a dirty player.

Him all of a sudden being good here is just not going to happen.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Fair but he was bad in Philly, bad in Chicago, bad stats wise, bad advanced stat wise and is a dirty player.

Him all of a sudden being good here is just not going to happen.

As I mentioned I have heard reports from people I trust that he was actually pretty good in Philly. I mean if he was garbage in Philly why did Chicago sign him to a 2 year deal (+$2M AAV) last summer?
Doesnt make a lot of sense.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
As I mentioned I have heard reports from people I trust that he was actually pretty good in Philly. I mean if he was garbage in Philly why did Chicago sign him to a 2 year deal (+$2M AAV) last summer?
Doesnt make a lot of sense.
Do you not remember that we sign Nikita Nikitin to a large deal when he was shit before we got him?

GMs make dumb mistakes all the time.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Do you not remember that we sign Nikita Nikitin to a large deal when he was **** before we got him?

GMs make dumb mistakes all the time.

Of course but I have to stretch my imagination a little too much to believe that Manning has always been garbage. Besides....the opinions I have gotten on him are from intelligent hockey fans and not an HF board consensus which is inherently unreliable.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Simple story. I'm also a Flyer fan. He was brutal 90% of the time. It was joyous day once we rid ourselves of him

What was even more joyous is when Phi played Chi after. While he wasn't the worst dman for them that night, he played his usual crap self. But the kicker was many of us predicted/prayed for an own goal as icing on the cake

You can probably guess how he earned his -1 on the night lol

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Yeah, lets discard the opinions of hundreds of fans from two separate fan bases who have watched this guy play every night as well as all tangible evidence that supports those opinions and go with the opinion of your two random buds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad