Player Discussion Brandon Manning

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Simple story. I'm also a Flyer fan. He was brutal 90% of the time. It was joyous day once we rid ourselves of him

What was even more joyous is when Phi played Chi after. While he wasn't the worst dman for them that night, he played his usual crap self. But the kicker was many of us predicted/prayed for an own goal as icing on the cake

You can probably guess how he earned his -1 on the night lol

I appreciate your take but I have talked to people who disagree with you. There were many segments where he was a good player...injuries hurt his play in 2017 (the hand injury was particularly problematic).

Ultimately I would like to see for myself...I hope thats okay.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yeah, lets discard the opinions of hundreds of fans from two separate fan bases who have watched this guy play every night as well as all tangible evidence that supports those opinions and go with the opinion of your two random buds.

Exactly. If the hive mind supports your narrative than by all means run with it.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Exactly. If the hive mind supports your narrative than by all means run with it.

Yep, Manning and Petrovic are only healthy scratches on bad teams because of the "hive mind"

Narrow minded and offensive to discount the opinions of countless people just because you've got a couple drinking buds who say there might be something there with Manning.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yep, Manning and Petrovic are only healthy scratches on bad teams because of the "hive mind"

Narrow minded and offensive to discount the opinions of countless people as some sort of hive mind group think.

Very selective of you.
Tells me that you havent read a damn thing I have posted or you are just trying to be confrontational.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Hope Gaudreau has a stiff collarbone.

tenor.gif

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I have hated this weasel of an AHLer since he hurt McDavid, and I doubt he shows well enough to change my opinion in the slightest. I still dislike having Kassian on the team, and he at least brings an element the team can use.

Hopefully Manning manages to avoid hurting someone actually capable of playing NHL hockey on our team during practice.

Last edited:
Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I could have stomached this trade if he were on a 1 year deal, but I have a feeling next off season he will be another Chia buyout special adding to our cap for 2 more seasons.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
He seems expensive and not good, like a grittier Benning with less offense in his game, but for more money. Also did the site break?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I honestly don't blame the kid for chirping McDavid. Trying to throw McDavid off his game and get the win (Philly did end up winning that game).

That's gamesmanship. Rats usually find a way to win teammates over. Matt Cooke always seemed to be comfy with his teammates.

I will have a much bigger issue if this guy continues to play for us like he did for Chicago. Absolute garbage.

Yeah, Manning is an antagonizer. Being willing to do and say shit like that is just his calling card for a cup of coffee pro career. He's a dying breed due to JUST bringing the circus and not being an actual NHL calibre player. Decades ago you could be Bryan Marchment, not really be good at hockey, but just bring the rodeo and it was enough.

In todays capped NHL an enforcer/antagonizer has to be able to be filling multiple roles to be effective or of worth. you can't antagonize very well from the bench, you have to be on ice, and this guy hurts any team he's playing for on the ice.

Matt Cooke could actually play hockey.

The really awful thing for Oilers fans is Tkachuk, down south, can really play hockey and its just the guy we should have.

alas we get some idiot antagonist instead.

Reactions: Aerrol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
My thoughts exactly. The McDavid incident is irrelevant IMO....NHL players will do anything to get a player like McDavid off of his game. Who can blame them. This isnt close to being at Matt Cooke level though.
Ultimately its how he plays that really matters.
Thats why i have posted previously (amidst all the noise) that I would like to know what happened in Chicago because for the most part he was a decent player in Philly.

From any report and stat I've seen Manning can't play NHL hockey.

I haven't seen one thing suggesting Manning was decent in Philly. Anybody see that out there? Any indication or signs of a player here?

Reactions: CycloneSweep

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
Now for an opinion from the other side of the coin:

Manning is not as bad as everyone makes him out to be. He usually has one highlight reel bad play per game(falling down, bad pinch leading to an odd man rush, etc), but overall he is a decent 5/6 D-man. He plays fairly physical, can make a good first pass, and generally gets his shot on net. He was simply not a good fit for the style of play in Chicago. His corsi in the 17-18 season was actually in the top 50% of all D-men who played at least 1000 minutes. He was in the top 30 for shots for vs shots against.

Mandog will be fine used in a bottom pairing role playing 15-17 minutes/night. He is not bad on the PK, so I would slot him in on the second unit there as well. Yes I like him, but objectively the hate was way over the top. Give him a chance in a Hitch style system, and I think he will be fine.

Reactions: guymez

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Looks like a terrible player, with a terrible contract, and he's classless as well. f*** this guy, I hope he fails as it will continue to show the full incompetence of Chia.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I want him to succeed for sure but do have doubts

I want Chia, and the OBC gone, at all costs. We will never have a winning team as long as the OBC is still in charge. Whatever it takes to rid the team of the cancer that is Lowe, Gretzky, MacT, Bobby-burgers, etc is a price I'm willing to pay.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The only thing I don't like about this deal is that Manning is signed for another year. Maybe Chia found another Maroon and we'll be glad we have that year by the time the season is up, but that's a bit of a stretch. It would be irritating if we had to buy out Manning this summer. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping on this one, but in the mean time I'm happy to have another option for the back end. This was probably a direct request from Hitch to Chia, and if so then that is encouraging. If we're going to see if Hitch is for real, we should support him with players that fit his style.

As for losing Caggiula, I've just about had it with him. I always doubted him but always supported him on the basis that sometimes players need time to put it together, and once he started clicking I would understand his identity better. It's clear that if he does have potential, he'll have to discover it elsewhere.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I know we want him to succeed, but he should be booed mercilessly in Edmonton for the foreseeable future. Partly because of who he is and partly because of the continued "success" he represents

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Now for an opinion from the other side of the coin:

Manning is not as bad as everyone makes him out to be. He usually has one highlight reel bad play per game(falling down, bad pinch leading to an odd man rush, etc), but overall he is a decent 5/6 D-man. He plays fairly physical, can make a good first pass, and generally gets his shot on net. He was simply not a good fit for the style of play in Chicago. His corsi in the 17-18 season was actually in the top 50% of all D-men who played at least 1000 minutes. He was in the top 30 for shots for vs shots against.

Mandog will be fine used in a bottom pairing role playing 15-17 minutes/night. He is not bad on the PK, so I would slot him in on the second unit there as well. Yes I like him, but objectively the hate was way over the top. Give him a chance in a Hitch style system, and I think he will be fine.
Manning is worse than all of Klefbom, Nurse, Gravel, Jones so if he is in the lineup it's do to injuries or Chia forcing his way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad