Brandon Manning suspended (AHL) over racial slur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Brandon Manning said a bad word in the heat of the moment during a sports competition. When things cooled down, he immediately apologized to the person he directed this word to. The other player accepted the apology, case closed. Or at least, should be closed.

This is not a legal or even civil matter in a court of law, where on ice behaviour is sometimes excused or deemed to be a special case. It’s the court of public opinion, where Manning is being rightly criticized.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Yes I know that was your point, and it isn't a valid point when it comes to defending what he did. If your brain decides at any point that the thing it should say is something racist, then you need to seek help, because that's never okay.

Did I defend it? No. It is called understanding it. In order for you to foster change in something....you have to understand it. How it happened. Why it happened. I wasn't there. Neither were you. You don't know what as said....on either side. It was dealt with by those who do. The two parties spoke. The key is, was a lesson learned? Not any of our jobs to cast stones.

But holy hell....amazing how you get piled on when you don't join the lynch mob.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I don’t think it’s even plausible though. It’s just not in their character.

What would you do if we found out Mother Teresa was running around saying the N-word to every black person she came across? HUH?!?! WOULD YOU STILL LIKE HER THEN?!??!

Manning not only shoved McDavid into the boards in that vulnerable position, but he taunted him about it the next time they met after McDavid got back from injury. Dude sucks, and this further proved it.

And screw Chia again for putting McDavid in the awkward situation of having to welcome this turd to our team. I'm sure everyone got along, because some people are just nice, and some were struggling to find a way to stay relevant in the NHL. But...well, here we are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mc5RingsAndABeer

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
It's amazing the lengths some people go to in order to embellish the harmful effects of name-calling and taking the opportunity to then virtue signal to the lynch mob.

Says a lot about them.
Oh, it's you.

Who exactly, as a black dude, am I virtue signalling to? All I see is you trying to marginalize racial slurs to name-calling and downplaying it as per usual. Says everything about you.

Yeah, it says they have compassion and are at least attempting to feel empathy for something that a lot of us thankfully never had to actually experience. Meanwhile the people justifying the racism and trying to reduce using racist terms to "name-calling" sure say a lot about themselves in doing so.

You have to be a troll, because there's no way anybody with half a braincell would compare using racist terms towards another person, to "name-calling". That may be the dumbest thing I've ever read on these boards.
This is the same poster who was losing their shit in the main board thread talking about the NHL's black history initiatives a couple days ago. It's not entirely surprising.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Brandon Manning said a bad word in the heat of the moment during a sports competition. When things cooled down, he immediately apologized to the person he directed this word to. The other player accepted the apology, case closed. Or at least, should be closed.
lol it's not just a "bad word". If you can't differentiate between a bad word, name calling, and using a derogatory term meant to dehumanize another person due to their skin color, then you're not worth another word.

Case closed lol tell that to the coach who recently got fired for racist remarks made 10 years ago. An apology doesn't make your regrettable actions disappear. The player he spoke to may have forgiven him, but when you use words that target groups of people, and not just one person, then you alienate and potentially harm everyone belonging to that group. Imagine trying to raise your kid to know that they're equal to everyone else and that nobody thinks less of them due to their skin color, gender, etc, only to have to explain stories like this to them. It's never okay, and is not just an issue of manning and the player he spoke to.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Oh, it's you.

Who exactly, as a black dude, am I virtue signalling to here again? All I see is you trying to marginalize racial slurs to name-calling and downplaying it as per usual. Says everything about you.

This is the same poster who was losing their **** in the main board thread talking about the NHL's black history initiatives a couple days ago. It's not entirely surprising.
ah, yeah I figured based on his posts here that he was either a troll, a legit racist, or both. I'll be putting him on ignore now, thanks!

snag

Feb 22, 2014
What would you do if we found out Mother Teresa was running around saying the N-word to every black person she came across? HUH?!?! WOULD YOU STILL LIKE HER THEN?!??!

II would be more creeped out that a nun whose has been dead for nearly a quarter century was walking and talking.

Reactions: CookiesAndMilk

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
II would be more creeped out that a nun whose has been dead for nearly a quarter century was walking and talking.

This would be a case of past stories coming to light, like with Peters :)

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Did I defend it? No. It is called understanding it. In order for you to foster change in something....you have to understand it. How it happened. Why it happened. I wasn't there. Neither were you. You don't know what as said....on either side. It was dealt with by those who do. The two parties spoke. The key is, was a lesson learned? Not any of our jobs to cast stones.

But holy hell....amazing how you get piled on when you don't join the lynch mob.

As someone reading your posts, it really appears you're trying to downplay it as just something he said in the heat of the moment, and comparing it to you defaulting to a non derogatory term, and your coworker who legit didn't know what he said had any negative meaning. I don't need to be there to know that its inexcusable and no amount of rationalizing is going to make it any less severe of a situation. As I said to the other poster, when you call someone a derogatory term meant to dehumanize their race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. it's no longer between you and that person, it's between you and everyone against that way of thinking.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I know as fans we want the contract off the books due to it being a waste of cap. Also I as a fan feel it more just in the sense that the disrespect for another player is huge. I don't want a player on the team, even if he has apologized and such, to have such a braindead thinking towards another player. We talked a lot about the code and such with the kassian thing and I think this is part. It is racist and should be treated as such.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
As someone reading your posts, it really appears you're trying to downplay it as just something he said in the heat of the moment, and comparing it to you defaulting to a non derogatory term, and your coworker who legit didn't know what he said had any negative meaning. I don't need to be there to know that its inexcusable and no amount of rationalizing is going to make it any less severe of a situation. As I said to the other poster, when you call someone a derogatory term meant to dehumanize their race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. it's no longer between you and that person, it's between you and everyone against that way of thinking.

I am not downplaying it. I have been in the heat of the moment. Never said anything racial but certainly said shit I didn't mean and couldn't take back...and still thinking about it, though we are okay now, still wrenches my heart!! When you are in the heat of the moment it is about you and that person. And maybe you do want to hurt THAT person. Or demoralize THAT person. But it is not about everyone else.....you aren't thinking about everyone else. It's just you and that person in that moment.

I won't defend what he said, but I won't crucify him for it either. I can't see inside his heart so I refuse to be in a lynch mob.

That said, let's get him off the books (I am sure we can all agree on that). ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
There were hundreds of AHL defenseman that were far better than this goof, but never got that chance. This clown lucked out and undeservedly made several millions over the course of his questionable NHL career. And now he's going around using racial insults, embarrassing the organization even further. He's trash and I cannot believe we gave up a young Drake Caggiula for this carpet stain.

Reactions: Aerrol

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
Oh, it's you.

Who exactly, as a black dude, am I virtue signalling to? All I see is you trying to marginalize racial slurs to name-calling and downplaying it as per usual. Says everything about you.

This is the same poster who was losing their **** in the main board thread talking about the NHL's black history initiatives a couple days ago. It's not entirely surprising.

I don't believe you are virtue signaling. You being Black, you are genuinely angry and offended based on your experience. Some people may suggest that you are overreacting, but that's irrelevant since you feel the way you do, and that's that.

However, there are many people in this thread who are virtue signaling. It's like they can't resist the temptation to jump on the latest PC bandwagon.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Wow, shut the f**k up guys. This isn't a MLK life changing situation.

This is Brandon Manning being his usual disaster self.

No need for huge debates about racism. This is about a dummy that works for the Oilers. Fire him, do whatever it takes. Life goes on.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's amazing the lengths some people go to in order to embellish the harmful effects of name-calling and taking the opportunity to then virtue signal to the lynch mob.

Says a lot about them.
Bang.

Well worded.

Look, I know in present society we've said goodbye to such things as religion, I get that, and I get why. But have we forgotten as well basic concepts like forgiveness that establish whether or not you have civil rational society? Have we forgotten that forgiveness, well wishes to others, turning a cheek, having patience with others to learn, to consider apologies, that those are also possible virtues?

Its not necessary to react so vehemently, as seen in this thread, in regards to something that was just read. Manning didn't say that to any of you. This is all vicarious reaction and its somewhat strange.

Dr Blacks post btw also describes one of the foremost bases of bullying, ironically, that people will rally around in packs to shout down selected others and form a mob and that one of the chief reinforcing characteristics that drives such behavior is past exposure to being bullied and wanting to be part of the hammer instead of the nail. Bullying begats bullying. Mob speak is not virtuous either. The amount of "you are" accusation and attacks in this thread is beyond the pale.

So maybe we could all take a breath.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
lol it's not just a "bad word". If you can't differentiate between a bad word, name calling, and using a derogatory term meant to dehumanize another person due to their skin color, then you're not worth another word.

Case closed lol tell that to the coach who recently got fired for racist remarks made 10 years ago. An apology doesn't make your regrettable actions disappear. The player he spoke to may have forgiven him, but when you use words that target groups of people, and not just one person, then you alienate and potentially harm everyone belonging to that group. Imagine trying to raise your kid to know that they're equal to everyone else and that nobody thinks less of them due to their skin color, gender, etc, only to have to explain stories like this to them. It's never okay, and is not just an issue of manning and the player he spoke to.

ah, yeah I figured based on his posts here that he was either a troll, a legit racist, or both. I'll be putting him on ignore now, thanks!

The new tolerance bespoke.

This is not a path to understanding.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I am not downplaying it. I have been in the heat of the moment. Never said anything racial but certainly said **** I didn't mean and couldn't take back...and still thinking about it, though we are okay now, still wrenches my heart!! When you are in the heat of the moment it is about you and that person. And maybe you do want to hurt THAT person. Or demoralize THAT person. But it is not about everyone else.....you aren't thinking about everyone else. It's just you and that person in that moment.

I won't defend what he said, but I won't crucify him for it either. I can't see inside his heart so I refuse to be in a lynch mob.

That said, let's get him off the books (I am sure we can all agree on that). ;)

Beautifully put, and I hope the bolded point is at least considered.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
LMAO!!!!!
We knew he was a useless bum (admit it, you were hoping we could trade him at the TDL for a 7th) but now we know he's a waste of skin as well. Holy cow.
All trade forum proposals that include him as a cap dump need to modified.Certainly nobody is taking his contract on this season

PuckNut

Oct 31, 2005
Edmonton
Oh yeah....that's exactly what I am saying. Get off your high horse.
If that’s not what your saying, your anecdote missed the mark. Because the “stupid reason” your coworker used that term was because it sounded funny and he didn’t understand the context.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Wow, shut the f**k up guys. This isn't a MLK life changing situation.

This is Brandon Manning being his usual disaster self.

No need for huge debates about racism. This is about a dummy that works for the Oilers. Fire him, do whatever it takes. Life goes on.

Free tip here. If you're going to evoke MLK, you really shouldn't sandwich it between overtly racist "jokes." It doesn't make you edgy. It just blows your cover.

Reactions: Rodd from Leduc

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
I'm proud of Oiler fans in this thread. So much racist vitriol on Twitter that I'm glad there isn't much apologizing or defending going on in this thread. Unequivocal dismissal of his comments!

As a POC from Edmonton, I rarely experienced racism... Not that it didn't happen, but it gives me optimism and reminds me that Edmonton is not the States when it comes to things like this :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad