Brandon Manning suspended (AHL) over racial slur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
I'm not sure how to feel about this.

I know that hurling a racial slur is obviously something that's never okay. Not even close to being okay.

But on the other hand, I want to be more forgiving when I see things like this. I hope it's a way for those people to gain some self-awareness about their behaviour, and actually change for the better, rather than let their anger/embarrassment for being caught build resentment even further.

I'm someone who believes that the things people say might not always reflect how they feel. Sometimes your brain kind of just picks out those words in the heat of the moment, even if you haven't used them in a long time. That's not me trying to excuse what he did, but rather try to analyze why these things happen and how to overcome/move past them.

Of course he's wrong for saying it. But it doesn't mean he can't change moving forward. I'm not going to just start hurling insults at him now just because he acted that way. It's unprofessional, doesn't belong in the league, and will be taken care of. My outrage isn't going to change that.

To be honest, the term racism itself has sort of evolved in its definition over the past few decades. It's messy because, yes, in that instance he was acting in a racist manner. But was he being a racist? I'm not sure.
Brandon Manning has admitted that he was trying to severely injure NHL players on purpose. That doesn't bode well for him.

As far as his racial slur goes, it's his only reported incident.

He's probably a really good guy tho. He's a keeper.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Brandon Manning has admitted that he was trying to severely injure NHL players on purpose. That doesn't bode well for him.

As far as his racial slur goes, it's his only reported incident.

He's probably a really good guy tho. He's a keeper.
I don't like Manning. I don't think I'm in any position to call him a good or a bad guy though.

PuckNut

Oct 31, 2005
Edmonton
I'm not sure how to feel about this.

I know that hurling a racial slur is obviously something that's never okay. Not even close to being okay.

But on the other hand, I want to be more forgiving when I see things like this. I hope it's a way for those people to gain some self-awareness about their behaviour, and actually change for the better, rather than let their anger/embarrassment for being caught build resentment even further.

I'm someone who believes that the things people say might not always reflect how they feel. Sometimes your brain kind of just picks out those words in the heat of the moment, even if you haven't used them in a long time. That's not me trying to excuse what he did, but rather try to analyze why these things happen and how to overcome/move past them.

Of course he's wrong for saying it. But it doesn't mean he can't change moving forward. I'm not going to just start hurling insults at him now just because he acted that way. It's unprofessional, doesn't belong in the league, and will be taken care of. My outrage isn't going to change that.

To be honest, the term racism itself has sort of evolved in its definition over the past few decades. It's messy because, yes, in that instance he was acting in a racist manner. But was he being a racist? I'm not sure.

That’s not how the brain works. If it picks out words in the heat of the moment, that’s a reflex response. It wouldn’t pick words you don’t use comfortably or regularly. This would imply that he has a certain level of comfortability with the use of a racial slur.

Reactions: Rufus Aslegard

snag

Feb 22, 2014
I remember once a co-worker (a visible minority) came up to me looking for another co-worker (neither of us a visible minority) asking where "slacker the cracker" was.

I paused and started laughing and said, "what?"

He repeated himself.

I continued laughing and asked him why he said that?

He said, "cause it rhymed and sounded funny."

I explained it...and he was mortified....scared even. As I continued laughing (I am not easily offended) I re-assured him it ended with us (though I told my co-worker and he laughed his ass off too).

My point: people say stupid shit that isn't in their heart for the dumbest of reasons and like my co-worker this isn't the cross I am gonna nail Manning to. If it were to happen again, then there's a problem. To compare this to Bill Peter's I think is a little unfair at this point.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
That’s not how the brain works. If it picks out words in the heat of the moment, that’s a reflex response. It wouldn’t pick words you don’t use comfortably or regularly. This would imply that he has a certain level of comfortability with the use of a racial slur.

Camping once toodling around our site barefoot I stubbed and broke my pinky toe (I never even heard that snap when I broke my wrist!) when I went to give my wife a kiss...so instead of getting a kiss she got me jumping around like a buffoon yelling looooooong string of very bad words....including the c word!

Words I don't use regularly....and certainly don't use comfortably in the presence of my wife. And certainly not in a campground. Fortunately, my wife (at least) was amused by my reflex response and choice of words I don't use comfortably or regularly.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I remember once a co-worker (a visible minority) came up to me looking for another co-worker (neither of us a visible minority) asking where "slacker the cracker" was.

He repeated himself.

I explained it...and he was mortified....scared even. As I continued laughing (I am not easily offended) I re-assured him it ended with us (though I told my co-worker and he laughed his ass off too).

My point: people say stupid **** that isn't in their heart for the dumbest of reasons and like my co-worker this isn't the cross I am gonna nail Manning to. If it were to happen again, then there's a problem. To compare this to Bill Peter's I think is a little unfair at this point.

there's a huge difference in literally not knowing that a word is considered racist and using it, and using it out of anger towards, or to get a reaction from a visible minority.

If this was some old guy who grew up in a time when this was the norm, you might be able to rationalize it a bit at least to the point of not seeing him as a bad person, just a product of his upbringing or something (Which still would call for consequences, but at least there's a rationale behind his defaulting to those phrases) but there is no excuse for a guy like manning to ever default to a derogatory term no matter what the situation. He is the same age as I am, and I can tell you that there hasn't been a single period of time during my life that using a term like that was okay. If you can't stop yourself from using a racist term regardless of the situation in this day and age, then you're not the kind of person who should be in any sort of professional role, and that includes professional hockey player. I don't care if it's Manning, or Mcdavid. I don't know how contracts work in the NHL to this extent, but this is absolutely not someone I'd want representing my organization at any level.

At the very least, no matter who the player is involved, I'd hope there will be at least some form of sensitivity training or education to allow them to grow past whatever caused this to occur, as well as punishment more extreme than a 5 game suspension. Players who use racist and derogatory terms should be made an example of by the organization, and even the league. Is it unforgivable or impossible to recover from? No, but that doesn't mean it's "okay" to slip up once and let your racist side show.

Reactions: Rodd from Leduc

PuckNut

Oct 31, 2005
Edmonton

He repeated himself.

My point: people say stupid **** that isn't in their heart for the dumbest of reasons and like my co-worker this isn't the cross I am gonna nail Manning to. If it were to happen again, then there's a problem. To compare this to Bill Peter's I think is a little unfair at this point.
Are you trying to tell everyone that maybe Manning didn’t understand the context of the word he used? Really?

Reactions: Balakay14 and 3IR

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Here is the problem. I'm white. My wife is white. My two children came out black.

It was a miracle and I will protect them. We live in a day in age where you don't know what color your baby gonna come out as. So just be nice to everybody.

Actually?

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
It's amazing the lengths some people go to in order to trivialize and marginalize racist ****.

Says a lot about them.

It's amazing the lengths some people go to in order to embellish the harmful effects of name-calling and taking the opportunity to then virtue signal to the lynch mob.

Says a lot about them.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Camping once toodling around our site barefoot I stubbed and broke my pinky toe (I never even heard that snap when I broke my wrist!) when I went to give my wife a kiss...so instead of getting a kiss she got me jumping around like a buffoon yelling looooooong string of very bad words....including the c word!

Words I don't use regularly....and certainly don't use comfortably in the presence of my wife. And certainly not in a campground. Fortunately, my wife (at least) was amused by my reflex response and choice of words I don't use comfortably or regularly.
The difference being the C word is a word regularly used by many people in all sorts of social circles, and even in television and movies, especially when they're portraying an Aussie. The C word, like the F word or whatever "bad word" you can think of, is a general "bad word". It's not a term meant to be hurtful to a specific group of people. Just because you called someone a c*** out of anger in a line brawl, doesn't mean every c*** in the audience who hears you or hears about it is going to be offended, because a c**** is not a derogatory term for a group of people to show they have less value than you.

The exposure that people get to racist terms that would allow them to default to using it in a heated moment is far beyond that of just knowing it exists.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
It's amazing the lengths some people go to in order to embellish the harmful effects of name-calling and taking the opportunity to then virtue signal to the lynch mob.

Says a lot about them.

Yeah, it says they have compassion and are at least attempting to feel empathy for something that a lot of us thankfully never had to actually experience. Meanwhile the people justifying the racism and trying to reduce using racist terms to "name-calling" sure say a lot about themselves in doing so.

You have to be a troll, because there's no way anybody with half a braincell would compare using racist terms towards another person, to "name-calling". That may be the dumbest thing I've ever read on these boards.

Last edited:

snag

Feb 22, 2014
The difference being the C word is a word regularly used by many people in all sorts of social circles, and even in television and movies, especially when they're portraying an Aussie. The C word, like the F word or whatever "bad word" you can think of, is a general "bad word". It's not a term meant to be hurtful to a specific group of people. Just because you called someone a c*** out of anger in a line brawl, doesn't mean every c*** in the audience who hears you or hears about it is going to be offended, because a c**** is not a derogatory term for a group of people to show they have less value than you.

The exposure that people get to racist terms that would allow them to default to using it in a heated moment is far beyond that of just knowing it exists.

I was addressing a point.....an you have said nothing to counter it with that.

Amazing, we got the worlds best internet surgeons in the McDavid thread and Sigmund f***ing Freud in this one.

Was Manning wrong? Yes. Am I defending it? No. Am I gonna crucify him for it? No.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I was addressing a point.

Amazing, we got the worlds best internet surgeons in the McDavid thread and Sigmund ****ing Freud in this one.

and I was addressing the point you made about using terms you wouldn't usually in a heated moment.
It doesn't take Sigmund Freud to understand that someone defaulting to racist terms in a heated moment is obviously not the same as someone defaulting to the C word.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
and I was addressing the point you made about using terms you wouldn't usually in a heated moment.
It doesn't take Sigmund Freud to understand that someone defaulting to racist terms in a heated moment is obviously not the same as someone defaulting to the C word.

The point was about using words you normally wouldn't use or wouldn't be comfortable using. But thank you for explaining to me my venacular.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I also think there's an interesting discussion around what we would think if this was someone like McDavid or Draisaitl.

Would we be reacting with the same vehemence?

I don’t think it’s even plausible though. It’s just not in their character.

Reactions: oobga

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
I believe that the CBA doesn't give teams any option in cases like this....apart from a suspension or fine, it presumes business as usual. (These so-called behavioral matters are addressed by the league, club and player.) Only in cases where legal charges / convictions enter the picture, does a team have a contract termination option (true?).
Thankfully, the contract ends July 1. In the meantime, good riddance.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
The point was about using words you normally would use or wouldn't be comfortable using. But thank you for explaining to me my venacular.

Yes I know that was your point, and it isn't a valid point when it comes to defending what he did. If your brain decides at any point that the thing it should say is something racist, then you need to seek help, because that's never okay.

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
Yeah, it says they have compassion and are at least attempting to feel empathy for something that a lot of us thankfully never had to actually experience. Meanwhile the people justifying the racism and trying to reduce using racist terms to "name-calling" sure say a lot about themselves in doing so.

You have to be a troll, because there's no way anybody with half a braincell would compare using racist terms towards another person, to "name-calling". That may be the dumbest thing I've ever read on these boards.

Brandon Manning said a bad word in the heat of the moment during a sports competition. When things cooled down, he immediately apologized to the person he directed this word to. The other player accepted the apology, case closed. Or at least, should be closed.

Reactions: Drivesaitl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->