Brandon Manning suspended (AHL) over racial slur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Welcome to the pc capital of Canada. Being a person of color I grew up where we teased each other all the time and nothing came of it. It's just sickening how many snowflakes are out there. The bottom line is too many people use this as a get out of jail card. I don't know how many times I've been called racist names and called my friend racist names and it never broke me or them but the snowflakes are going to cry regardless because they lack the attention that their mommy and daddy never gave them so they want everyone to feel sorry for them

giphy.gif

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Agreed, but I'm sure we would be finding ways of rationalizing it and trying to keep McDavid from getting his contract terminated if the same situation occurred with him, no?

As for that xbox kid...
The same discussion was made for Coach Peters. Would he be fired still if the Flames were playing dominate hockey? It was about 50/50 according to fans but that is not the world we live in.

There is zero tolerance for that crap now. He would have been forced out regardless of his position in the standings.

As for the Xbox kid, I probably have a better chance of banging his Mom than he does mine.

Reactions: PuckNut

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I never said he was a full on racist. There are different levels of racism, it's not just full on or not at all.
My point is if you're calling somebody a racial slur and it's not in a friendly manner like between friends, you have racist tendencies. You don't say words like that in a hurtful way by "mistake", those words are born from something inside of you that came up to the surface in that moment.
You're claiming some sort of epigenetic trait leads to this.

It's far more likely that it is just a cultural issue that extends into real life from platforms like early 2000's xbox voice chat and shock culture online.

Manning is in the age bracket for that to be a thing, not to mention parents and grandparents who were conditioned as tradition to maybe view people through a certain lens.

Would you agree with me when I say that the reason we are seeing less outward racism through words and actions is due to some genetic factor 'within' like you say being 'bred out' through generations of ostracizing racists? Or is it a much simpler explanation in a cultural shift which is for the most part separate from inherent good and evil? The environment you are raised in accounts for essentially all of your moralistic perspectives and general world views. So when we blame society for failing certain people in terms of lacking education or opportunity in a work place etc, why do we not then blame society also for inserting these terms into one's head? It is a response to stimuli that had been normalized for millions of people Brandon Mannings age in the country he grew up with via the internet and potential peers.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Digusting behavior and **** his "apology".

A 5 game suspension is a joke too. He should be banned for the year at minimum. If a bad hit warrants a 5 game suspension, using a racial slur should result in a much harsher punishment. There should be zero tolerance for this type of behavior(...…)

People who call others racial slurs in a hurtful way in the heat of the moment or not aren't making a mistake, they're racist.

I never said he was a full on racist. There are different levels of racism, it's not just full on or not at all.
My point is if you're calling somebody a racial slur and it's not in a friendly manner like between friends, you have racist tendencies. You don't say words like that in a hurtful way by "mistake", those words are born from something inside of you that came up to the surface in that moment.

Wow.

Reactions: duul

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You're claiming some sort of epigenetic trait leads to this.

It's far more likely that it is just a cultural issue that extends into real life from platforms like early 2000's xbox voice chat and shock culture online.

Manning is in the age bracket for that to be a thing, not to mention parents and grandparents who were conditioned as tradition to maybe view people through a certain lens.

Would you agree with me when I say that the reason we are seeing less outward racism through words and actions is due to some genetic factor 'within' like you say being 'bred out' through generations of ostracizing racists? Or is it a much simpler explanation in a cultural shift which is for the most part separate from inherent good and evil? The environment you are raised in accounts for essentially all of your moralistic perspectives and general world views. So when we blame society for failing certain people in terms of lacking education or opportunity in a work place etc, why do we not then blame society also for inserting these terms into one's head? It is a response to stimuli that had been normalized for millions of people Brandon Mannings age in the country he grew up with via the internet and potential peers.

I could quote all your posts in the thread but just wanted to commend somebody taking a more detailed view and obviously with some knowledge. These are excellent, well thought out posts!

PuckNut

Oct 31, 2005
Edmonton
Not necessarily. Is every Xbox kid who calls someone a racial slur a racist? Or are they performing an action with a high yield for negative response feedback loops?

There is a significant difference between what is considered a performative act , and 'being'. I would be hesitant to label anyone anything after a hastily yelled comment in a heated exchange. This word being part of a man's lexicon and him performing the action of speaking it does not mean he despises, dislikes, or feels above a person of colour.

It's a lot easier to label someone as a racist instead of thinking about it rationally though.

And let me be clear, I cannot stand Brandon Manning the hockey player. Hell, I don't even think I like Brandon Manning the person either. It just seems illogical to make a claim that he HATES or feels above black people because he used a catch-all negative phrase about black people to a black guy in a hockey game.

Unnecessary? Yes. Worthy of some sort of punishment in a sports league where equality and acceptance is being rightfully pushed? Absolutely. Claiming this guy is a full on racist for saying that? Ehhh...don't think I agree with that and there has been tons of studies on the exact subject proving my correctness.
There is also a difference in the impulse control of a child, teenager, and adult. And we could also bring in the anonymity factor of online actions as compared to in person. You can also continue to bring the argument of the double standard, which I understand. This fan base has a great deal of hostility against Manning for being a sub par hockey player and hurting McDavid. The problem is that argument is that there have been no actions to date that have brought McDavids character into question. A better comparable would be if Kassian or Neal, who have been borderline with on ice actions.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Wow indeed. Where did I say he was a full on racist?

You stated, quite clearly, that on the basis of one (even unknown) slur that you categorize an individual with "they're racist".

In true Monty Python "look its made of wood, its a witch" illogic fashion.

The responses by Duul, which I'm not convinced you fully comprehend, are attempting to inform you of the fault in such blatant, presumptive categorization.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You stated, quite clearly, that on the basis of one (even unknown) slur that you categorize an individual with "they're racist".

In true Monty Python "look its made of wood, its a witch" illogic fashion.

The responses by Duul, which I'm not convinced you fully comprehend, are attempting to inform you of the fault in such blatant, presumptive categorization.

Yeah ok. I'm not interested in engaging in this psychobabble that you tend to drag people into. You, like Duul, are trying to be contrarians for the sake of being contrarians and are trying to act like you're the smartest guys in the room.

Not interested in pursuing this any further.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Don't talk about the thing that happened in a sport on a sports forum?

The natives (this is not meant as perjorative, please don't shoot) get mighty restless when topics veer to religion, philosophy, politics, or pretty much anything topical. This started out as a report on Manning and his suspension. it jumped into something else once people started feeling Manning should be boiled alive or something after he's tarred and feathered and nothing is too good for this kind of pond scum. Tongue in cheek with the latter. But starting the first page the comments are really over the top.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah ok. I'm not interested in engaging in this psychobabble that you tend to drag people into. You, like Duul, are trying to be contrarians for the sake of being contrarians and are trying to act like you're the smartest guys in the room.

Not interested in pursuing this any further.

We weren't the ones tar and feathering presumptive "racist" tags, merely responding to the over the top reactivity.

Its your choice whether you garner anything from it.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Such a touchy subject and too many hot heads don't make good reading
Good point. I'll bow out of this one.

Now if you don't mind me, I'm heading over to offer my less-than-surface-level expertise on medicine in that Connor McDavid injury thread that's garnered so much attention today...

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
I keep waiting for a thread to be started on the mains. Glad it’s not getting the attention.

Pulju Propagandist

Jesse’s Bison
Jul 7, 2016
Threads like this, and overall incidents like this, show the unfortunate undertones of racism, stereotypes, and down right sheer ignorance that lay underneath the surface of our perfect little hockey world.
It’s unfortunate that a professional athlete that has made millions of dollars from this sport would still resort to racial slurs on the ice, while playing the game.
It’s even WORSE certain ‘fans’ and ‘media members’ try to downplay the incident and potential consequences.
Yes, the players contract should be up for termination and the most severe punishment is COMPLETELY warranted.
To downplay it with “pc lib yard snowflake” meme terms and talk, shows further ignorance.
It’s sad. And really hits home when it’s your home and your team and your fellow fans.
I hope for better, and hope incidents like these don’t scare away potential players/kids from taking up hockey.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I'm not sure how to feel about this.

I know that hurling a racial slur is obviously something that's never okay. Not even close to being okay.

But on the other hand, I want to be more forgiving when I see things like this. I hope it's a way for those people to gain some self-awareness about their behaviour, and actually change for the better, rather than let their anger/embarrassment for being caught build resentment even further.

I'm someone who believes that the things people say might not always reflect how they feel. Sometimes your brain kind of just picks out those words in the heat of the moment, even if you haven't used them in a long time. That's not me trying to excuse what he did, but rather try to analyze why these things happen and how to overcome/move past them.

Of course he's wrong for saying it. But it doesn't mean he can't change moving forward. I'm not going to just start hurling insults at him now just because he acted that way. It's unprofessional, doesn't belong in the league, and will be taken care of. My outrage isn't going to change that.

To be honest, the term racism itself has sort of evolved in its definition over the past few decades. It's messy because, yes, in that instance he was acting in a racist manner. But was he being a racist? I'm not sure.

Reactions: LAMF and Drivesaitl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad