Waived: Brandon Manning: Clears :’(

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If Vancouver is that desperate for a defenseman, I'd probably be ringing their phone off the hook about Petrovic.

Probably makes more sense as an expiring deal.
I was thinking that Manning just leaving he teams' Cap, they can more effectively get value in trades, because its even easier for the Oilers to do max retention in deals.

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
Don't recall hearing this but this wouldn't be surprising because MacT was into analytics and all of the analytics indicated it was a stupid as **** trade.

However, don't care. MacT needs to be let go at the end of the season.
Agreed as should every exec

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
If Vancouver is that desperate for a defenseman, I'd probably be ringing their phone off the hook about Petrovic.

Rick had a second tweet in which he said the Canucks have been in interested in Manning previously too.

Considering Schenn is a UFA, it might make sense for them to want Manning locked-in for next season two instead of giving up an asset for a pending UFA.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Rick had a second tweet in which he said the Canucks have been in interested in Manning previously too.

Considering Schenn is a UFA, it might make sense for them to want Manning locked-in for next season two instead of giving up an asset for a pending UFA.
Well technically none of that makes sense because Manning is just awful, but good for them I guess.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
Last season, I mostly defended Chia, mainly because people seemed to be forgetting what a complete shit show the Oilers were before he arrived. But this season has been comical, Garth Snow-esque nonsense. Honestly, the only rationale I can come up with is that someone in the upper management pissed Chia off and he made it his secret mission to sodomize the team before leaving. But then again, if the upper management were so active in these trades, as they say they were, I hope everyone remembers that that's much, much worse.

Reactions: The Nuge

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

I wonder if Manning is one of those guys that has more value once he clears waivers? Then he can be an AHL insurance policy for a team.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

I’d rather ditch Manning to them for nothing and have to take like a 7th for Petrovic than be stuck with Manning and even get a 3rd back for Petrovic.

If Vancouver is interested in Manning, and don’t want to claim him, but would trade for him, I’d take back literally any player they want who’s contract is up this year or whose contract can be fully buried next year.

I wonder if Manning is one of those guys that has more value once he clears waivers? Then he can be an AHL insurance policy for a team.

Probably not. The extra year is the killer

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I’d rather ditch Manning to them for nothing and have to take like a 7th for Petrovic than be stuck with Manning and even get a 3rd back for Petrovic.

If Vancouver is interested in Manning, and don’t want to claim him, but would trade for him, I’d take back literally any player they want who’s contract is up this year or whose contract can be fully buried next year.

I'm more thinking Petrovic because I have no idea why any team would want Manning.

Petro at least makes some sense as a terrible stopgap since he's on an expiring deal.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
They never had a plan. Day by day with this org. For Chiarelli being an Ivy League lawyer, he was pretty damn stupid.
He finished his Law degree in Ottawa. "Ivy League Lawyer" is like an engineer going to MIT for a 3 week certificate and calling themselves an Engineer from MIT.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I'm more thinking Petrovic because I have no idea why any team would want Manning.

Petro at least makes some sense as a terrible stopgap since he's on an expiring deal.

No idea why they’d want him either, but if Dhaliwal thinks it’s a possibility, there’s got to be some truth to it. Chia being interested in him in the past is how we got stuck with him. Hopefully Benning takes a turn and does the same thing

Crude

Rafters 94
Jul 15, 2007
Edmonton
He finished his Law degree in Ottawa. "Ivy League Lawyer" is like an engineer going to MIT for a 3 week certificate and calling themselves an Engineer from MIT.

Not that any of this really matters, but Chiarelli got his undergrad at Harvard (where he played hockey with Mark Carney), but got his law degree at the University of Ottawa. He never went, nor claimed, to have gone to Harvard law.

Its funny, because I remember this kind of stuff getting thrown around by the media when he was hired, and during his first moves. I think it says more about that fact that a lot of the Oilers beat writers, as well as basically everyone in the front office for the past 15 years, have little to no education, or appreciation for it.

Reactions: TB12

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
"Finished" and your comment about an MIT certificate implies that you think Chiarelli started at Harvard law.
He got his degree from University of Ottawa, that's where he finished law school. The MIT portion is just as accurate... If I study my engineering degree in Waterloo, and get a certificate at MIT, I'm not an MIT Engineer. If you go to Harvard for your undergrad, and get your law degree from Grant MacEwan Community College, you're not a Harvard Lawyer.

Reactions: Crude

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016

This link should have some sort of warning for Oilers fans. I could see a few phones and computer screens being broken because of it.
downloadfile.gif

Reactions: Aerrol

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
My guy Hardeep who works at Superstore would have been a better GM than Chiarelli and he moved to Canada 2 years ago

Tell Hardeep he should leave his resume with Bob Nicholson.

It sounds like Hardeep knows how to handles things that should be shipped out the door before their expiry date while they still have some value so he can do a makeover on Oiler senior management with his new found skills.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad