Confirmed with Link: Brandon Hagel signs extension (3 yrs 1.5M AAV)

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I've become pretty hard line on bottom six players that don't demonstrate significant on-ice impact either offensively or (more likely, given deployment) defensively.

They're not guys you have to limit your flexibility with by giving them term.

Hagel is just a guy. Everybody appreciates the hustle and work ethic, but he's entirely replaceable.

It's a low enough cap number to bury if need be, so I'm fine with it in this case.
I would have handed him the Sissons contract. Hagel isn't just a guy.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Listen, if Hagel turns into peak Zach Hyman as some of you seem to be suggesting, then obviously I'll be thrilled with the contract.

I think he projects as more of Ben Smith.

he barely makes more than minimum to bury him..in a scenario that is extremely unlikely where hes not an nhl player then he will be waived and sent to rockford and cost 400k a year to do it...thats the absolute worst case downside...the upside is he's a .5ppg winger that can play special teams and at that point he's worth double his AAV, thats more like the base case scenario imo

Reactions: AmericanDream

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
You can have talent and still be Grindy McGrinderson.
I'll take the L on the other two.
Hagel is a grinder.

Shaw was Grindy McGrinderson as well but it didn't stop him from scoring 40+pts.

Except you didn't say that then (said his only tool was being Grindy McGrinderson) and even said he's no Shaw cause he's an AHLer at best. But I digress.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
he barely makes more than minimum to bury him..in a scenario that is extremely unlikely where hes not an nhl player then he will be waived and sent to rockford and cost 400k a year to do it...thats the absolute worst case downside...the upside is he's a .5ppg winger that can play special teams and at that point he's worth double his AAV, thats more like the base case scenario imo
I regret even bring up Hyman's name if this is what Jaegar thinks now.

Agree 100% - Hagel makes a little over 500k more than league minim for f***s sake...3 years to hand out means nothing at that cost. He can be easily buried or moved. Zero downside here. f***ing zero!

Hyman is a guy that can play on any type of line. He can play with talent and be the net crasher/puck getter- he can be dropped to 3rd/4th line and feast on matchups and grind it out. Hagel has more speed than Hyman does and has shown far more offensive skill than Hyman did at that same age, but he is looking like that type of player.

Through Hyman's first 100 games, he had 34 points....Hagel through 52 games has 24 points...I mean....not too shabby.

Hyman is the bigger body but the point is if Hagel can have any type of impact/career like Hyman (and that isn't too far off as is), this is pure Gold...hell even if he is half of Hyman's production next 3 years it is still Gold.

This is a wonderful contract for a player that can be used many different ways for us.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Hagel plays with so much heart and energy that worst case scenario he’s an overpaid 4th liner. Best case scenario to me is he’s an elite 3rd liner who can occasionally be plugged into the top 6 in a pinch.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
Hagel plays with so much heart and energy that worst case scenario he’s an overpaid 4th liner. Best case scenario to me is he’s an elite 3rd liner who can occasionally be plugged into the top 6 in a pinch.
I like this take.

I think his scoring touch will come around at the NHL level. He seems to have that knack at giving himself the opportunity to be in great scoring situations, just had trouble finishing.

I can see him taking a bigger step forward this year and be a top 5 goal scorer for the Hawks. I don't see why 15-20 goals isn't achievable.

Plus, the guy handed out free f***ing bagels. What's not to like. Could be a solid co-core piece moving forward.

SuterHaglshev

Mar 21, 2021
Great Deal......kinda disappointed as they could have had Vinnie H on the same deal and not signed Khaira and Gaudette and they would have kept chemistry and been a better team IMO.

We will catch Vincent on waivers in 2022

Geoist

May 1, 2015
I've become pretty hard line on bottom six players that don't demonstrate significant on-ice impact either offensively or (more likely, given deployment) defensively.

Hagel is just a guy. Everybody appreciates the hustle and work ethic, but he's entirely replaceable.

It's a low enough cap number to bury if need be, so I'm fine with it in this case.

:skeptic:

Sometimes I think some of you just enjoy being contrarians.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I like this take.

I think his scoring touch will come around at the NHL level. He seems to have that knack at giving himself the opportunity to be in great scoring situations, just had trouble finishing.

I can see him taking a bigger step forward this year and be a top 5 goal scorer for the Hawks. I don't see why 15-20 goals isn't achievable.

Plus, the guy handed out free f***ing bagels. What's not to like. Could be a solid co-core piece moving forward.
ya there is a lot to like about his game for sure, he reminds me of a Zach Hyman type; a perfect "glue" guy for a line, you just have to find which line, no reason he cant be a 20-20 or even 2?-2? = 5? something guy. At this point in time I figure Kubalik-Toews-Hagel...if When Reichel is with the hawks it may be Reichel-Dach-Hagel

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois

You have no idea what's going on if you think Hagel doesn't make an impact. What a f***ing joke man.

Reactions: Geoist and Pez68

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Love love this deal. Closest comp for me is a Blake Coleman type player. Stud third liner on a Cup winner who does a bit of everything, at a breakneck pace. Might even have more offensive upside, we’ll see what he can do in a full season

Reactions: Muffinalt

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019

True but we don't have anyone NHL ready to do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad