Confirmed with Link: Brandon Hagel signs extension (3 yrs 1.5M AAV)

Grouch

Apr 22, 2021
Great Deal......kinda disappointed as they could have had Vinnie H on the same deal and not signed Khaira and Gaudette and they would have kept chemistry and been a better team IMO.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Great Deal......kinda disappointed as they could have had Vinnie H on the same deal and not signed Khaira and Gaudette and they would have kept chemistry and been a better team IMO.

Yeah its strange to me that we didnt bring him back after the fit he showed for that low of an amount.

Only explanation is he lost out on the numbers game as they wanted to give the young guys the opportunity instead.

But id prefer a Hino (ideally another Hagel) type guy on the roster now instead of Strome.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
Waiting for KBS and Blackhawks to find something wrong with this signing.

Could be the first time in HF Hawks history we all agree on something. Bust out the champagne boys.

Reactions: Styles

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
3 years seems like a lot for a bottom 6 guy, but if it kept the cap down, then whatever.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
What are you talking about? 3 years is nothing.

I've become pretty hard line on bottom six players that don't demonstrate significant on-ice impact either offensively or (more likely, given deployment) defensively.

They're not guys you have to limit your flexibility with by giving them term.

Hagel is just a guy. Everybody appreciates the hustle and work ethic, but he's entirely replaceable.

It's a low enough cap number to bury if need be, so I'm fine with it in this case.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I've become pretty hard line on bottom six players that don't demonstrate significant on-ice impact either offensively or (more likely, given deployment) defensively.

Hagel is just a guy. Everybody appreciates the hustle and work ethic, but he's entirely replaceable.

It's a low enough cap number to bury if need be, so I'm fine with it in this case.

Hagel has a real skill set and he is not replaceable like you think.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO

I beg to differ with the characterization that Hagel is "just a guy". In his first full year in the NHL...

His 24 points tied him at #160 amongst scoring for forwards. I'm guessing some people are not impressed, but divide that by the number of teams and it's 5.16. Clearly not bottom six point production.

Only one forward ahead of him in scoring had less than Hagel's TOI/game. He had .34 PP TOI which amounts to #10 for Hawks regulars. So he was not padding his points on the PP.

Towards the end of the season, he had more looks on the PK and seemed good at it. He busts his ass.

No, he's not just a guy.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Trajectory.....Hagel showed 3D improvement with more minutes and confidence....every line could use a guy like that----someone to go into the corners, can skate, has some scoring prowess----this is the kind of guy that would compliment Toews & Kubalik and have a really good 2nd line.

Reactions: Krivo25

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Listen, if Hagel turns into peak Zach Hyman as some of you seem to be suggesting, then obviously I'll be thrilled with the contract.

I think he projects as more of Ben Smith.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Great signing. And I think he’s already better than Ben Smith.

The team first attitude also goes beyond his reasonably good stats. He’s a win-first guy whose combination of energy and skill is applicable up and down the lineup, with either skill players or grinders. He’s plug and play. These types aren’t easy to find (regardless of the beliefs of the metrics watchdogs).

Reactions: BuddyTheGoon

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Listen, if Hagel turns into peak Zach Hyman as some of you seem to be suggesting, then obviously I'll be thrilled with the contract.

I think he projects as more of Ben Smith.
What? So he has to be a 40-50pt winger for this contract to be good? If he gets 20pts it's a good contract, because he does other things well too.

That makes no sense. It's a good contract, and he is way better than Ben Smith.

Reactions: Callidusblackhawk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad