Waived: Brandon Gormley (Clears Waivers)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
As for ROR even if they started out together (along with Iggy I'm sure) it couldn't have been more than a few games.

And why do you think they got broken up? You're conveniently not remembering that they didn't look good together last year. They were re-united to help spark the team, and looked like they had never played together.

Going off TV's graph, he played about 20 games with ROR early on in the year, starting with game 10. Duchene actually was playing decent hockey at the beginning of the year, and was their best forward IIRC, he was just a bit snakebitten. Even so he put up 7 points in that 9 games. Same with Iggy, 7 points in 9 games.

He also finished the year playing with the guy you accuse of bringing him down, with both players putting up 13 points in their final 15 games.

http://hockeyviz.com/img/player/historyStrips/1415/COL/history-1415-COL-duchema91.png

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Very interesting graph. Thanks for the info.

With ROR it's mostly Landeskog, McGinn, briere or Tanguay in that order.

With Iginla it's Tanguay, Mitchell, talbot.

If I'm understanding correctly.

Also appears that Landeskog and not O'Reilly made Duchene a better defensive player as Duchene's shots per 60 come to even with Landeskog and O'reilly but get ruined when Landeakog is taken off that wing. There is a nice evening again with Landeskog that appears to dip when rendulic is added to the line.

I'm on my phone and can't get to any other part of the site from the link. Why is that? Would love to see some other players numbers. Thanks again for the website. Really cool.

http://hockeyviz.com/teamHtml/teamDash-1516-COL.html

There's a crap ton of stuff there. Those graphs are the player overview. Link at the top goes to previous years. I'm sure he'll get hired and shut the site down like everyone else does so enjoy while you can.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
And why do you think they got broken up? You're conveniently not remembering that they didn't look good together last year. They were re-united to help spark the team, and looked like they had never played together.

Going off TV's graph, he played about 20 games with ROR early on in the year, starting with game 10. Duchene actually was playing decent hockey at the beginning of the year, and was their best forward IIRC, he was just a bit snakebitten. Even so he put up 7 points in that 9 games. Same with Iggy, 7 points in 9 games.

He also finished the year playing with the guy you accuse of bringing him down, with both players putting up 13 points in their final 15 games.

http://hockeyviz.com/img/player/historyStrips/1415/COL/history-1415-COL-duchema91.png

SO, after the most consistent season of his star player he takes away the player most responsible for it (along with Matt). Brilliant. He then figured out his mistake but didn't give them enough time, to work it out. THere's plenty of ways to look at things. All I know is Duchene and Iggy played the majority of the season together and Duchene had one of his worst season, the second the blackhole was taken off he lights the NHL on fire. Doesn't take genius to figure what the problem was.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I don't get the Gormley love...the guy never really impressed and honestly never really showed he could be even a consistent 6-7 guy.

Not that Guenin or Redmond are any better....but from an asset management point of view, maybe it is best Gormley gets sent down and given some time in the AHL to work on his game.....which is what the Avs seem to be doing with all their youngish D men.

He probably gets one more legit shot with the Avs, might as well get some actual ice time in the minors and see if something does not click before his last shot.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Can't tell me Gormley shouldn't be playing above Guenin and Redmond, and Bodnarchuk was pretty bad tonight too.
Do you want Gormley on the PK? Because as long as EJ is out every dman has to be able to kill penalties. I haven't watched the game against the Hawks but I was pleased with Bodnarchuk's defensive performance in his first two games. (I don't say he was good. I just say I was pleased.) Guenin and Redmond both are pretty bad but I rather see them on the PK than Gormley. Gormley does have potential (he had a few games which made me very happy) but right now he is so effing bad in the d-zone.
It's not always about who's the better overall player (I'd take Gormley over Guenin and Redmond easily), sometimes it's just about who is better at this or that thing. And when we're talking about defense and defense only (this even excludes clearing the zone because Guenin can't do that at all) Gormley is the worst dman on the roster right now.
Change the system the Avs play on the PK and Gormley might be the better choice again. Put EJ back into the lineup and Gormley will be the better choice again (imo). Keep the things the way they are right now and Gormley is the guy the Avs need the least.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
SO, after the most consistent season of his star player he takes away the player most responsible for it (along with Matt). Brilliant. He then figured out his mistake but didn't give them enough time, to work it out. THere's plenty of ways to look at things. All I know is Duchene and Iggy played the majority of the season together and Duchene had one of his worst season, the second the blackhole was taken off he lights the NHL on fire. Doesn't take genius to figure what the problem was.

Iggy and Duchene were two of the most productive players 5on5. It was the PP that Duchene really struggled at.

But yeah, still not Duchene's fault. Nothing ever is.:sarcasm:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Do you want Gormley on the PK? Because as long as EJ is out every dman has to be able to kill penalties. I haven't watched the game against the Hawks but I was pleased with Bodnarchuk's defensive performance in his first two games. (I don't say he was good. I just say I was pleased.) Guenin and Redmond both are pretty bad but I rather see them on the PK than Gormley. Gormley does have potential (he had a few games which made me very happy) but right now he is so effing bad in the d-zone.
It's not always about who's the better overall player (I'd take Gormley over Guenin and Redmond easily), sometimes it's just about who is better at this or that thing. And when we're talking about defense and defense only (this even excludes clearing the zone because Guenin can't do that at all) Gormley is the worst dman on the roster right now.
Change the system the Avs play on the PK and Gormley might be the better choice again. Put EJ back into the lineup and Gormley will be the better choice again (imo). Keep the things the way they are right now and Gormley is the guy the Avs need the least.

What is there to defensive zone play? Because board battles, sure, I'll give you that. Gormley is the worst on the team. But defensive positioning? He's better in that regard than Redmond and Guenin. Effective stick-work? Better than Guenin and Redmond. Gap control? Better than Guenin and Redmond. Decision making? Better than Redmond and Guenin. You make it seem like Redmond and Guenin can actually kill penalties adequately. They definitely can't.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
What is there to defensive zone play? Because board battles, sure, I'll give you that. Gormley is the worst on the team. But defensive positioning? He's better in that regard than Redmond and Guenin. Effective stick-work? Better than Guenin and Redmond. Gap control? Better than Guenin and Redmond. Decision making? Better than Redmond and Guenin. You make it seem like Redmond and Guenin can actually kill penalties adequately. They definitely can't.

Guenin can. I'm a bit sick of all the Guenin hatred. He's not a good dman but he's not nearly as bad as some people here seem to think. It seems to be an Avs fan thing to do, though, hating players without trying to understand why and how they are valuable. I mean this is the fan base who wanted to trade Duchene and who sported Cliche pics as avatars although he was solid defensively.
(I hope I don't sound too bitter. I'm very sad right now because it wasn't an hour ago I learned about Bowie's death.)

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Guenin can. I'm a bit sick of all the Guenin hatred. He's not a good dman but he's not nearly as bad as some people here seem to think.
No, he might be worse.

He's the worst defenseman on the team, and it's not close. There's a very easy argument to be made that he's the worst in the NHL.

Screen-Shot-2016-01-08-at-12.56.40-PM.png

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Guenin is a defensive defenseman who has average to below average defensive ability. If you're going to be completely awful offensively, you better be top tier defensively if you want to play in the NHL but Guenin has a poor defensive game to go along with his 0 points in 28 games this year. At this point I think he would be an average stay at home defender in the AHL.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Guenin can. I'm a bit sick of all the Guenin hatred. He's not a good dman but he's not nearly as bad as some people here seem to think. It seems to be an Avs fan thing to do, though, hating players without trying to understand why and how they are valuable. I mean this is the fan base who wanted to trade Duchene and who sported Cliche pics as avatars although he was solid defensively.
(I hope I don't sound too bitter. I'm very sad right now because it wasn't an hour ago I learned about Bowie's death.)

:handclap:

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Yes, and Gormley is usually paired with either Redmond or Guenin. It's not like these guys are getting different minutes.

Perhaps I am not understanding the stats but how is it possible for Redmond to have such a drastic difference from Guenin. Isn't it based on shot attempts for vs shot attempts against. Wouldn't they be the same if they are always on the ice together.

Guenin, whether on purpose or because he sucks, allows the opposition to take more shots and attempts to block it more. Redmond and Gormley are more likely to try steal the puck and clear it from the zone. I assume that this would have an effect on Guenin's numbers, as it does on Beauchemin (most blocked shots in the league or close to).

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Nate Guenin is right up there with Greg Zanon for being potentially the worst defensemen I've ever seen play in the NHL. He has no business playing in this league. The Guenin hate is warranted. Does he cost us every game? No. But he sure as hell does not help this team nor make it better. He is truly horrible.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Nate is obviously terrible. But there are things he does in his own end, in front of Varly, that the Gormley-Redmond pairing can't. And those things are why Roy trusts the General + one of the others more than he does the two of them together. It shouldn't be that shocking that our star goalie; who struggles when he can't see the puck; is shockingly always better when our third pairing gives him some chance of tracking it than he is when teams can just push that pairing around at will and block his sight lines completely? Guenin's so unbelievably bad, but he helps Varly in our zone play a lot better than do either Redmond or Gormley...even if he's also responsible for Varly facing a lot more of those shots that he can now see.

I think Gormley's the best player of the three, but Redmond seems to be getting showcased.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
U dont need fancy stats to know that guenin is a garbage player. He is easily the worse dman in the NHL. Hes supposed to be a stay at home hard nosed dman but hes soft as hell and loses 99% of the board battles hes in. Teams shoot it into his corner always because they know how easy it will be to get that puck back. Guenin adds NOTHING to this team and the sooner hes off the better we will be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad