Waived: Brandon Gormley (Clears Waivers)

Nov 20, 2013
Sweden
Maybe now is a good time for waiving if you want to increase the odds of keeping the guy. Waive later and a bunch of TDL sellers need restocking after trading roster players for prospects and draft picks.

If my theory is correct it was just about timing and not about a future trade.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
As I see it, some of the October stink evens out by the December shine. The goaltending was unusually bad in October and unusually good in December.

Overall, Avs are on a 86 point pace and that's more or less what I think their play has warranted over the course of the season. I don't think it's enough, unless Varlamov turns into a ninja. Getting outshot on a nightly basis doesn't work in the NHL.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
To me, the biggest question is why we claimed Bodnwhatever?

Even if he is better than Gormey or Guenin, the difference is not that big that would justify getting to the 50 contract limit.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
To me, the biggest question is why we claimed Bodnwhatever?

Even if he is better than Gormey or Guenin, the difference is not that big that would justify getting to the 50 contract limit.

I think they were simply just trying to "trade" him for Gormley. Probably lost confidence in him.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Why do you keep referring to Duchene an All star he was great player before Roy arrived he didn't make him any better.:laugh:

He put him on a line with Iggy the second he separated them Duchene got hot... a blind mouse could've saw why Duchene struggled but it took him a year to figure it out. Not hard to understand.

You know I'm referring to All Star this year. Duchene sturggled with more than one set of lines before he ended up on MacKinnon's wing.

You really think the only reason for Duchene's struggles and his subsequent red hot play was Iginla and being separated from him? Had nothing to do with Duchene? Iggy might have to add kryptonite to his list of six middle names.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
As I see it, some of the October stink evens out by the December shine. The goaltending was unusually bad in October and unusually good in December.

Overall, Avs are on a 86 point pace and that's more or less what I think their play has warranted over the course of the season. I don't think it's enough, unless Varlamov turns into a ninja. Getting outshot on a nightly basis doesn't work in the NHL.

This is pretty much spot on. I know some people still look at two seasons ago and think it's a model that can be reproduced, but until a team can consistently win, or win a championship overcoming that kind of play, I'll tend to land on the side of solid analysis and a good dose of common sense that says it's not gonna happen.

Not that they aren't improving in that regards, but they still need really good goaltending to pull out a lot of their wins and this is a league where you need to be able to a) win games getting average goaltending every now and then and b) not make every game a game that your goalie needs to make 30+ saves so he can stay somewhat fresh.

The play isn't there yet and a big part of that comes from a dearth of talent on the backend, but I'm encouraged that it's something the organization is becoming more cognizant of and should improve if our pipeline backend talent pans out how we hope.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's never one thing. It was getting away from Iggy, playing on the right side, getting some confidence and bounces, playing with MacKinnon, etc.

It's always between Dutchy's ears. That's always the source of his slumps. He's struggled with a plethora of different players, sometimes even the ones he's had success with in the past. The one constant is him.

He shouldn't have to play RW or with MacKinnon to have success. He's too good.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
You know I'm referring to All Star this year. Duchene sturggled with more than one set of lines before he ended up on MacKinnon's wing.

You really think the only reason for Duchene's struggles and his subsequent red hot play was Iginla and being separated from him? Had nothing to do with Duchene? Iggy might have to add kryptonite to his list of six middle names.

Who did he have on his wing before moving to Mack's? It was clearly Iggy if you can't see it even now there's no point of continuing this discussion,

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Can't the position change be equally attributable as the Iggy change then?

It could be but it's just my opinion. Plus, Duchene is better at C again JMO.

Mack hasn't been good with Dutchy but he hasn't been good for awhile now. So, that's not it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Who did he have on his wing before moving to Mack's? It was clearly Iggy if you can't see it even now there's no point of continuing this discussion,

You're really going to greath lengths to pin all the negatives on Roy. He only played Duchene with Iggy for eight games this year, and they finished last year red hot playing together. You can go back and look at the GDT's to see the lines.

Game 9-11 he played Duchene with Landy and Skille

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1974489
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1975127
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1976051

Game 12-14 he played Soda with Dutchy and Landy.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1977143
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1978229
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1978901

Game 15 against the Flyers is when he finally put Duchene on RW with Nate and Landy.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1980819

Not only that, but Duchene for all his world class ability has gone into similar funks every year at different times. He's lacked chemistry with a lot of players that have come and gone throughout the organization over the years. He's both played well and struggled with ROR. He's played well and struggled with Mueller.

Iginla has only been here for a year and a half. Roy for two and half years. Duchene's struggles have very little if any to do with either of them.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
There is correlation

http://hockeyviz.com/img/player/historyStrips/1516/COL/history-1516-COL-duchema91.png

But it's either removing Iggy, moving to RW, playing with Mack or likely a combo of all three.

These situations can't explain the funk that Duchene has been in every other year of his career though. That's the thing. It's not his linemates, or his position, it's him. He lets his head get in the way, instead of just going out and playing. He finally started to break out of his funk on his own. He just played through it.

There were things that helped though. Playing RW with MacKinnon kept him from overhandling the puck, because Nate did most of the transition skating with the puck. This is the biggest beneficiary he's had. It forced him to play another way, and helped him snap out of his bad habits.

The other IMO is the external pressure the trade rumors put on him. He moved his focus from internal which was making him over think plays, to external and what everyone from management to fans were thinking about him, and he just went out and played his butt off.

He deserves the credit for playing his way out of the funk, and contributing to the teams success. Not Roy, the same way Roy or Iginla don't deserve the blame for his struggles.

He hasn't gotten content either. He was announced an All Star prior to last game, and went out and played great. Same tonight in the biggest game of the year. He was arguably their best player, though he didn't have the production to show for it.

P.S. My apologies for letting this issue take the thread too OT. Gormley rules!

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
im gonna hope for him what i hoped for Elliot is that we get a similar type of youngish fwd prospect in exchange but obviously at this point a pick would be better in the long run.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
im gonna hope for him what i hoped for Elliot is that we get a similar type of youngish fwd prospect in exchange but obviously at this point a pick would be better in the long run.

I wonder if Montreal would give us Bournival back for Gormley. Both were on waivers at one point this season.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I wonder if Montreal would give us Bournival back for Gormley. Both were on waivers at one point this season.

Where would he play? I like Bournival and wouldn't mind having him, but Wagner is already sitting. I really wish Wagner could get some games in. Fast and physical, I think he is a perfect 4th line center. I don't see Bournival as being a better option than anything we have, unless he was added to the minors. Love to have some depth like that, but he would be subject to waivers again, correct?

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Bournival wouldn't bring anything we don't have. We've got Wagner sitting and guys like Everberg and Rendulic in the AHL.

Think they're just hoping they can dump a defenseman for a pick. I think some team that's into stats would want Redmond.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Bournival wouldn't bring anything we don't have. We've got Wagner sitting and guys like Everberg and Rendulic in the AHL.

Think they're just hoping they can dump a defenseman for a pick. I think some team that's into stats would want Redmond.

God I hope some team bites on him this tdl. His advanced numbers are much better than his actual play, so if we could get a third out of him that would be wonderful.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I really think that Redmond moving on is the plan. He has played way too poorly to warrant ice time. So they must be showcasing him a bit.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Bournival would just add more depth to the system. I think he can make a good bottom 6 player in the future. The idea would be just to keep him in the minors this season. The Avs haven't produced a bottom 6 player since McLeod so more competition couldn't hurt.

If no one took Gormley for free I can't see anyone paying with a pick for Redmond, Guenin, or Stuart.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Can't the position change be equally attributable as the Iggy change then?

No! Iggy is the reason for Duchene playing bad. He is the reason for our bad start. He is why players he doesn't even play with change their game. He is the sole root of everything that is evil in Avs land. :sarcasm:

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
If no one took Gormley for free I can't see anyone paying with a pick for Redmond, Guenin, or Stuart.

The only way any of the bottom scrubs are traded is by taking another warm body back and a pick. Something like Redmond for scrub+6th rounder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad