Waived: Brandon Gormley (Clears Waivers)

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Coming into the season it looked like three of Guenin, Redmond, Holden and Stuart would be bench warmers. Instead three are playing and one is only being held back by a bad back. I'd imagine Bod would be sat for Stuart, if it were feasible.

But in the end, Roy looks like a genius right now since the Avs have been the best team in the league over the past few weeks. The scrubs are mostly playing well - they bring physicality that Gormley would not, and they seem to be settling in. The only issue at the moment is that they produce nothing on offense. They make mistakes, but clearly aren't so bad since the team is playing very well. The team would not have been 9-2-2 with 4 incompetent d-men.

Since Gormley wasn't claimed, the move looks good in hindsight. He will develop in the AHL, maybe turn into something.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't think we've seen the end result of this whole D shuffle. None of this makes sense especially with EJ returning soon. Let's let it play out before trying to come to any conclusions.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I'm a fan of the black background and the "Mackinnon is the chosen one" look.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Well, imitation is a form of flattery...but mine kinda sucks. Oh well

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
You're really going to greath lengths to pin all the negatives on Roy. He only played Duchene with Iggy for eight games this year, and they finished last year red hot playing together. You can go back and look at the GDT's to see the lines.

Game 9-11 he played Duchene with Landy and Skille

Game 12-14 he played Soda with Dutchy and Landy.

Game 15 against the Flyers is when he finally put Duchene on RW with Nate and Landy.

Not only that, but Duchene for all his world class ability has gone into similar funks every year at different times. He's lacked chemistry with a lot of players that have come and gone throughout the organization over the years. He's both played well and struggled with ROR. He's played well and struggled with Mueller.

Iginla has only been here for a year and a half. Roy for two and half years. Duchene's struggles have very little if any to do with either of them.

So, he played 2 games with a 4th liner and a guy with a bum shoulder then 2 games with Soda? How did he not produce.:laugh:

If you're going to refer to that every time we have a debate what's the point? I've said numerous times why I think he's a bad coach and others have provided evidence as well, yet the defenders are just trying to mask the odor, without stating why they believe he's a actually a good coach.

Duchene's struggles in the past, where due to different reasons but since Iggy's been on the team it's sole his and Roy's faults.

He never struggled with Mueller, they were on fire for those 10 games. He didn't struggle with ROR either he was basically at a PPG with ROR. HE also made TC based on his defence that year. BTW

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
So, he played 2 games with a 4th liner and a guy with a bum shoulder then 2 games with Soda? How did he not produce.:laugh:

If you're going to refer to that every time we have a debate what's the point? I've said numerous times why I think he's a bad coach and others have provided evidence as well, yet the defenders are just trying to mask the odor, without stating why they believe he's a actually a good coach.

Duchene's struggles in the past, where due to different reasons but since Iggy's been on the team it's sole his and Roy's faults.

He never struggled with Mueller, they were on fire for those 10 games. He didn't struggle with ROR either he was basically at a PPG with ROR. HE also made TC based on his defence that year. BTW

Would you mind explaining why this is the case? I don't see any evidence to suggest that the obvious reason (the same guy going in a slump every year) wasn't the reason this time.

And yes he 100% lost chemistry and struggled with both Mueller and ROR, after he showed great chemistry and success with them. It was pretty obvious, because in both cases they couldn't read off each other and were turning pucks over.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Would you mind explaining why this is the case? I don't see any evidence to suggest that the obvious reason (the same guy going in a slump every year) wasn't the reason this time.

And yes he 100% lost chemistry and struggled with both Mueller and ROR, after he showed great chemistry and success with them. It was pretty obvious, because in both cases they couldn't read off each other and were turning pucks over.

Baseless accusation.

He had 70 points in 71 games, while playing above average defence, if you think he struggled at any point in time during the season maybe, you should adjust your expectations for him?

During Mueller's 15 games played in Colorado, Duchene had 12 points, what are you smoking?

Roy's mistakes are never his own and the success of the team is all his... like Stastny, oh wait.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Baseless accusation.

He had 70 points in 71 games, while playing above average defence, if you think he struggled at any point in time during the season maybe, you should adjust your expectations for him?

During Mueller's 15 games played in Colorado, Duchene had 12 points, what are you smoking?

Roy's mistakes are never his own and the success of the team is all his... like Stastny, oh wait.

Alright this clearly isn't going anywhere. You're end of year productions prove absolutely nothing in this discussion. He makes up for his slumps and poor chemistry with stretches of red hot play.

He was clearly in a slump to start last season with ROR, and they were not working at all. Then he got hot and made up for the pointless streaks. Including down the stretch where he and Iggy were putting up points nearly every night playing together, and showing solid chemistry.

The same way he's on pace for 37 goals and 66 points this year with his hot stretch of play. Do you want to suggest he wasn't in a slump earlier this year.

As for Mueller, when he was tried with Duchene after coming back, they were not reading off each other at all. Lots of forced passes from Duchene, and just generally no chemistry. THey were broken up after a few games because it was so bad. THis was obvious for those that watched the games. You siting their total production in his first 15 games only where they were red hot together, and not the 32 games following that, does not disprove this.

He goes into a slump pretty much every year. Everyone who follows the Avalanche knows this. You trying to say this is a "baseless accusation" is just a sign that you have no argument to prove this is Roy's fault for keeping him with Iginla.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Duchene was pointless for one 3 game stretch and one 4 game stretch, other than he was held pointless for longer than 2 games in a row. Combine that with above average defence and it's as consistent as you can get.

Mueller's body came back but not his brain... it use that as an excuse is laughable, you're just grasping as straws.

As soon as Iggy came to town they separated ROR/Duchene, there's no way for me to check. Don't have the fancy website some use just going based on memory. Could be wrong but I doubt it.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Duchene was pointless for one 3 game stretch and one 4 game stretch, other than he was held pointless for longer than 2 games in a row. Combine that with above average defence and it's as consistent as you can get.

Mueller's body came back but not his brain... it use that as an excuse is laughable, you're just grasping as straws.

As soon as Iggy came to town they separated ROR/Duchene, there's no way for me to check. Don't have the fancy website some use just going based on memory. Could be wrong but I doubt it.

ROR and Dutch started last season together. It wasn't pretty.

It has been a trend that Dutch has lost chemistry with guys. You can blame the other players, injuries, or whatever, but the fact remains that it happens.

ROR, Iggy, Mueller, PAP all come quickly to mind

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
ROR and Dutch started last season together. It wasn't pretty.

Any evidence of this?

It has been a trend that Dutch has lost chemistry with guys. You can blame the other players, injuries, or whatever, but the fact remains that it happens.

ROR, Iggy, Mueller, PAP all come quickly to mind

Iggy never had it, Mueller was broken by Blake, no loss in chemistry loss in ability to play, PAP is the only one you could say is true but PAP was the one that had his game turn to crap. Just look at what happened once he got traded.

As for ROR even if they started out together (along with Iggy I'm sure) it couldn't have been more than a few games.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
As for ROR even if they started out together (along with Iggy I'm sure) it couldn't have been more than a few games.

Just to further derail the thread about Gormley

You are correct about the start and may be right overall. I just remember not at all liking what I saw with Dutch and ROR last season. I'm sure your memory is better than mine.

http://hockeyviz.com/img/player/historyStrips/1415/COL/history-1415-COL-duchema91.png
Make of it what you will.

Game with ROR
#1 (Iggy+Tangs/ROR) then #10-28 with ROR (only game #10 with Iginla the rest with Landy/McGinn/Tangs). Dutch had 11 points in the 20 games with ROR. 11 of those games he was scoreless.

Games with Iggy
#1-10 (3G 4A) 5 scoreless
29-31 (1G 1A) 2 scoreless
44-82 (10G 19A) 16 scoreless

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Just to further derail the thread about Gormley

You are correct about the start and may be right overall. I just remember not at all liking what I saw with Dutch and ROR last season. I'm sure your memory is better than mine.

http://hockeyviz.com/img/player/historyStrips/1415/COL/history-1415-COL-duchema91.png
Make of it what you will.

Game with ROR
#1 (Iggy+Tangs/ROR) then #10-28 with ROR (only game #10 with Iginla the rest with Landy/McGinn/Tangs). Dutch had 11 points in the 20 games with ROR. 11 of those games he was scoreless.

Games with Iggy
#1-10 (3G 4A) 5 scoreless
29-31 (1G 1A) 2 scoreless
44-82 (10G 19A) 16 scoreless

Who?:laugh:

I'm not so good with graphs but I see a lot of pink there.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Can't help you then. I'm sure the "proof" you want is above my level of statdom.

All I know: 14-15
with Iggy: 51 games, 38 pts (.745 pts/gm)
with ROR: 20 games, 11 pts (.550 pts/gm)

THat's for breaking it down for me...who's the 3rd guy on that line(ROR/Duchene)? What was the production of all 3 players during that time. Also 20 games is a small sample, they obviously would've picked it up, and Duchene wouldn't have ended up nearing his rookie production of 55pts.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
THat's for breaking it down for me...who's the 3rd guy on that line(ROR/Duchene)? What was the production of all 3 players during that time. Also 20 games is a small sample, they obviously would've picked it up, and Duchene wouldn't have ended up nearing his rookie production of 55pts.

Between the top graph I linked and the player's game log of 14-15 I'm sure you can work those numbers out. hint: each bar is a game and the key to the colors is to the right.

I'm out of stat nerd energy today

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Between the top graph I linked and the player's game log of 14-15 I'm sure you can work those numbers out. hint: each bar is a game and the key to the colors is to the right.

I don't know I can't even spell thanks apparently.:laugh:

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011

Very interesting graph. Thanks for the info.

With ROR it's mostly Landeskog, McGinn, briere or Tanguay in that order.

With Iginla it's Tanguay, Mitchell, talbot.

If I'm understanding correctly.

Also appears that Landeskog and not O'Reilly made Duchene a better defensive player as Duchene's shots per 60 come to even with Landeskog and O'reilly but get ruined when Landeakog is taken off that wing. There is a nice evening again with Landeskog that appears to dip when rendulic is added to the line.

I'm on my phone and can't get to any other part of the site from the link. Why is that? Would love to see some other players numbers. Thanks again for the website. Really cool.

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Can he play right now and still be sent down any time within the next 30 days or will he have to be put on waivers again if he plays a game?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad