Confirmed with Link: Brandon Davidson going on waivers (Claimed by EDM)

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I really think Davidson is an NHL'er , kids got all the tools. Another Bergy trade gone south, no shocker here.

He was handling the puck like a grenade a bit like Tinordi and it’s not like Tinordi became anything once we let him walk

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I looked online to see if I can find how much cap space is removed from a player sent to the minors, but failed.

So, if Davidson clears, he will only count for 400K on the cap hit. Either way, Habs get a good amount of his hit off the books.

The veteran rule will still apply but if I'm Habs and Davidson clears, I look to unload Gelinas. I don't know how AHL contracts work and if there is a process to end a contract. In the NHL, it's unconditional waivers. But I don't know how it works in the minors. Because even if a player is under an AHL contract, he can still sign an NHL contract with someone. So surely, the rules differ.

There's no problem with veteran rule now. 2 spots are open actually (with froese, deslauriers and jerabek up)

Reactions: Adam Michaels

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
I really think Davidson is an NHL'er , kids got all the tools. Another Bergy trade gone south, no shocker here.

I agree he's an amazing 3rd pairing defenceman, the best we had in the last 20 years, Bergy screw up!!!!!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't mind Davidson as a 7th D but I'd rather have Morrow since he brings more offense and we need that badly. If he clears he would be a welcome addition in Laval.

No, a lot are in Montreal. No problem for veteran rule. (only 4 out of 5, Terry, Taormina, Cracknell and Gelinas)

They need to release Gelinas, he's been that bad.

Reactions: Nedved

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
There's no problem with veteran rule now. 2 spots are open actually (with froese, deslauriers and jerabek up)

Perfect then. Thanks for the info.

So even if Davidson heads to Laval, Habs can send another one of those three back down without any veteran rule issues. Unless, while Froese or Deslauriers head to Laval, Cracknell gets the call, then there would still be one veteran slot left.

Reactions: Agalloch

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I don't mind Davidson as a 7th D but I'd rather have Morrow since he brings more offense and we need that badly. If he clears he would be a welcome addition in Laval.

They need to release Gelinas, he's been that bad.

I agree with all of this. Morrow before Davidson on Habs. Davidson over Gelinas in Laval. Gelinas out no matter what.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He makes almost 1.5 mil. That is high for a 7-8 Dman. He is simply not a good nhl player. Not everybody can play in this league.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Keeping Davidson in Laval would be really good for our depth. There's no d-man ready to play with the Habs right now. Lernout is not as good as expected. Juulsen was injured until recently too. The rest are not NHL material.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I wouldn't be surprised if Edmonton reclaims him. From what I recall, the reason they had traded him last year was they were afraid they'd lose him for nothing in the Expansion Draft. So it's possible they would be open to bringhing him back.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He makes almost 1.5 mil. That is high for a 7-8 Dman. He is simply not a good nhl player. Not everybody can play in this league.

Shouldn't that have been obvious to Habs's pro scouting?

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
It's debatable whether he's better than Morrow now. I think Morrow is better.

But imo Davidson has reached his ceiling. Morrow still has a high ceiling, imo. But how likely he is to reach it is anyone's guess. He needs to iron out some major wrinkles in his game, such as poise with the puck and being tougher on opponents in the crease. But he can skate the puck up ice better than Weber, Alzner, and Benn, and maybe even Jerabek. He also has a great shot from the point.

Davidson on the other hand can't stick handle. This play at 4:30 of the video nearly cost us the game. He hasn't played since, but he was constantly doing this before.

Actually, they both suck. Davidson handles the puck like a grenade, as another poster pointed out and Morrow is a turnover machine when under pressure. Half decent past mid-ice and God-awful in his own zone... :(

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Schlemko, Jerabek and Morrow passed him on the depth chart.

It's a numbers game and honestly he's not that great.

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
Don't laugh.

DD is still in the NHL and doing quite a good job on a bottom line for the Rangers.

He would have done a decent job on a bottom with us too, that’s not what the joke is about. We lost a decent amount of time playing a better option at 1c in Galchenyuk for Desharnais. So sure he’ll do fine on a bottom line but he’s worthless anywhere else.

With respect to Davidson, dime a dozen, good luck to him, no loss here, next up Morrow please.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
add it to the ever growing list of assets MB manages to downgrade to zero...

and yes, the move, today, is not a "bad" one. The issue continues to be a complete lack of planning and strategy, which keeps putting us in a situation where assets give us zero ROI.

Every team loses some assets for nothing, we just do it at a much larger pace under this management group, and that is not a positive organizational direction or standard.

Reactions: Big Lurk

Jul 6, 2016
He would have done a decent job on a bottom with us too, that’s not what the joke is about. We lost a decent amount of time playing a better option at 1c in Galchenyuk for Desharnais. So sure he’ll do fine on a bottom line but he’s worthless anywhere else.

With respect to Davidson, dime a dozen, good luck to him, no loss here, next up Morrow please.

DD was playing as a 1st center, but not for the last year and a half he was with the Habs. He was mainly there to make Patches produce. That's all.

Patches doesn't want - or is unable - to play with a real #1 centerman.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
He's really bad but I rather have him on the bench than Mete.

Jul 6, 2016
add it to the ever growing list of assets MB manages to downgrade to zero...

and yes, the move, today, is not a "bad" one. The issue continues to be a complete lack of planning and strategy, which keeps putting us in a situation where assets give us zero ROI.

Every team loses some assets for nothing, we just do it at a much larger pace under this management group, and that is not a positive organizational direction or standard.

it's like Niemi that nobody wanted anymore. He seems that he can do allright as Price's backup for a while. Stephane Waite knows him very well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad