Confirmed with Link: Brandon Davidson going on waivers (Claimed by EDM)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Maybe no takers in the trade front?

I also take it Weber is ready to be activated so they need to clear a roster spot for him.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I could see a team taking a chance on him for sure, big guy with some tools (on paper at least) will always find work somewhere. That said, he's got no place in Montreal at this point and I'm not sad to see him go.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
He's not that good, but he's decent enough to be a #6 man in the nhl. He's better than morrow IMO, but not enough to warrant worrying about this.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He'll get picked up by someone I imagine. He's a decent 6/7, but right now we are healthier and deeper on D than we have been for a while.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Hoping we could get a low draft pick for him, I guess not.

Don't need him. Too many 6/7 d men as it is. We'll see if he gets picked up.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He's not that good, but he's decent enough to be a #6 man in the nhl. He's better than morrow IMO, but not enough to warrant worrying about this.

The difference is Morrow has put up points. But I do like Davidson. But with Schlemko back, Jerabek doing well, Mete still around now, and Morrow able to put points on the scoresheet, there was no more room for Davdson.

Either someone claims him and his 1.425M is off the books, giving Habs even more cap space. Or he clears, is sent to Laval, and a chunk of his cap hit comes off the book. I think it's 925K-950K but I'm not sure of that 100%.

Giacomo

Sep 26, 2017
Maybe no takers in the trade front?

I also take it Weber is ready to be activated so they need to clear a roster spot for him.
all teams know this. they will wait it out and take him off waivers. maybe buffalo, florida or edmontom

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

It's debatable whether he's better than Morrow now. I think Morrow is better.

But imo Davidson has reached his ceiling. Morrow still has a high ceiling, imo. But how likely he is to reach it is anyone's guess. He needs to iron out some major wrinkles in his game, such as poise with the puck and being tougher on opponents in the crease. But he can skate the puck up ice better than Weber, Alzner, and Benn, and maybe even Jerabek. He also has a great shot from the point.

Davidson on the other hand can't stick handle. This play at 4:30 of the video nearly cost us the game. He hasn't played since, but he was constantly doing this before.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
all teams know this. they will wait it out and take him off waivers. maybe buffalo, florida or edmontom

That's fine. It sucks that Habs can lose him without getting anything in return. However, it's fine with me if he does get claimed. That would give Habs an extra 1.425M in cap space. And even if he does clear and head to Laval (which would be the best scenario now), then only part of his cap hit counts, still making a lot of room on Habs' cap space.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Morrow definitely has a higher ceiling than Davidson. He's also younger so he could still reach that ceiling 2 years from now. Davidson is 26 he could still figure it out but at that age it's pretty much what you see is what you get 99% of the time.

This said neither of them will probably stick around for long. Both Mete and Juulsen have higher ceiling imo and will be ready soon. Moving forward there's more than likely no place for them.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Morrow definitely has a higher ceiling than Davidson. He's also younger so he could still reach that ceiling 2 years from now. Davidson is 26 he could still figure it out but at that age it's pretty much what you see is what you get 99% of the time.

This said neither of them will probably stick around for long. Both Mete and Juulsen have higher ceiling imo and will be ready soon. Moving forward there's more than likely no place for them.

Pretty much this.

Morrow and Davidson are both RFA's with arbitration rights. Morrow is at 650K and Davidson at 1.425M. Morrow in 16 games played has 3 goals and 2 assists for 5 points. Davidson in 13 games played has 1 assist. So it makes more sense for Davidson to be the odd man out before Morrow.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
That's fine. It sucks that Habs can lose him without getting anything in return. However, it's fine with me if he does get claimed. That would give Habs an extra 1.425M in cap space. And even if he does clear and head to Laval (which would be the best scenario now), then only part of his cap hit counts, still making a lot of room on Habs' cap space.

the ever growing cap space. important player on this team.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Well, few days before we put Streit on waivers, there were rumors of being shoped around. I guess nobody want to pay for Davidson. I think he clears.

Morrow will stay the 7th d for now.

Schlemko-Weber
Alzner-Petry
Mete/Jerabek-Benn
Morrow

LookAtThosePepperoni

I am he who loves all, when I'm in the mood.
Jan 28, 2016
The difference is Morrow has put up points. But I do like Davidson. But with Schlemko back, Jerabek doing well, Mete still around now, and Morrow able to put points on the scoresheet, there was no more room for Davdson.

Either someone claims him and his 1.425M is off the books, giving Habs even more cap space. Or he clears, is sent to Laval, and a chunk of his cap hit comes off the book. I think it's 925K-950K but I'm not sure of that 100%.
It's 1,025M$, 950K was for the last 2 years.

If he isn't claimed, will we have to many veterans again?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
the ever growing cap space. important player on this team.

:laugh:

The team continues trending upwards and it can be a very valuable asset come TDL or before. The team starts falling back down, I say sell off pieces to have the space grow for the off-season while stocking up on picks and prospects.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I really think Davidson is an NHL'er , kids got all the tools. Another Bergy trade gone south, no shocker here.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Mete is probably staying for a while. If he get sent down and one of the top6 gets injured I dont see us calling up Taormina or Gelinas..

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It's 1,025M$, 950K was for the last 2 years.

If he isn't claimed, will we have to many veterans again?

Thanks for the info. I looked online to see if I can find how much cap space is removed from a player sent to the minors, but failed.

So, if Davidson clears, he will only count for 400K on the cap hit. Either way, Habs get a good amount of his hit off the books.

The veteran rule will still apply but if I'm Habs and Davidson clears, I look to unload Gelinas. I don't know how AHL contracts work and if there is a process to end a contract. In the NHL, it's unconditional waivers. But I don't know how it works in the minors. Because even if a player is under an AHL contract, he can still sign an NHL contract with someone. So surely, the rules differ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->