Value of: Brandon Carlo

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I think the Bruins are desperate for some secondary scoring, especially at right wing. There was a lot of talk about Palmieri as an option at last years deadline.

Can something like Palmieri with 50% retention and the 18th overall pick for Brandon Carlo and Ondřej Kase be of interest? I know Palmieri is a pending UFA and I can definitely see him resigning with Bruins since they’re a legit cup contender for possibly the remainder of his new deal.

The B’s get their RW sniper for Krejci and recoup the 1st round pick they gave to Anaheim in order to eat David Backes contract. The Devils get a bruising dman to add to their already soft blueline and a right winger to fill an organizational need in Kase.

It would also free up around 3M$ in cap space and give some ammo (1st round pick) to go after OEL, who’s been rumoured to be of interest by Sweeney.

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think the Bruins are desperate for some secondary scoring, especially at right wing. There was a lot of talk about Palmieri as an option at last years deadline.

Can something like Palmieri with 50% retention and the 18th overall pick for Brandon Carlo and Ondřej Kase be of interest? I know Palmieri is a pending UFA and I can definitely see him resigning with Bruins since they’re a legit cup contender for possibly the remainder of his new deal.

The B’s get their RW sniper for Krejci and recoup the 1st round pick they gave to Anaheim in order to eat David Backes contract. The Devils get a bruising dman to add to their already soft blueline and a right winger to fill an organizational need in Kase.

It would also free up around 3M$ in cap space and give some ammo (1st round pick) to go after OEL, who’s been rumoured to be of interest by Sweeney.

I like Palmieri. But a 2nd line pending UFA is not the headliner for a 23 year old shutdown right D. Fireable offense if Sweeney takes an offer similar to this.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013

I don't like the Bruins and I would not wish this trade on them.

Just looking at capfriendly sorted by RW (might be capturing guys that are mostly only RW on paper), he either doesn't quite come close to the guys at the top (Kucherov, Stone, Marner, etc.) or they're probably too old to give Carlo up for (Wheeler). There are other RWs I think I'd be interested in talking about depending on who is adding and what exactly (e.g. Wilson, Lindholm, Yamamoto).

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
If Pietrangelo leaves, Carlo would be a perfect fit for the Blues. As others have said, however, I doubt very much he is moved.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Boeser

Nylander

Newhook+

I would be tempted Newhook+. He should be ready in a year, and would be on a ELC for 3 years after that, giving the B's all sorts of cap flexibility.

Leafs are crazy if they don't jump on that deal, both form a hockey fit standpoint, and economically.

Van, too, but a little less so.

Boston can't make the deal, though. Chara, and possibly Krug gone if Nylander and Boeser come back with their inflated salaries? Who will play defense for them, where will they get the money?

No. I like Carlo too, but no.

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
Carlo is the beast that's all I know. You gotta pay a pretty penny for him.
Carlo is not close to be a beast...LOL, Thats funny. He is a over rated wet napkin defensemen. Hits nobody, not very good offensively, Passive. The Bruins need to listen. They could get a haul for this guy....

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I don't like the Bruins and I would not wish this trade on them.

Just looking at capfriendly sorted by RW (might be capturing guys that are mostly only RW on paper), he either doesn't quite come close to the guys at the top (Kucherov, Stone, Marner, etc.) or they're probably too old to give Carlo up for (Wheeler). There are other RWs I think I'd be interested in talking about depending on who is adding and what exactly (e.g. Wilson, Lindholm, Yamamoto).

Yeah I can’t think of anything 1 for 1 except for Boeser or Nylander and they obviously are not going to help Toronto fix their longstanding hole with the perfect fix for it.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I like Palmieri. But a 2nd line pending UFA is not the headliner for a 23 year old shutdown right D. Fireable offense if Sweeney takes an offer similar to this.

He can sign an extension with Boston at any time when it’ll be permitted this offseason, you’d be getting a full season of a 25-30 goal scorer at less then 3M$ as well as the 18th overall pick in a draft that is loaded with talented RW’ers or flip that pick for a dman you actually need like OEL for the left side of your defence.

You can’t view this as UFA Palmieri for Carlo because, I would agree with you that it wouldn’t make any sense at all.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
He can sign an extension with Boston at any time when it’ll be permitted this offseason, you’d be getting a full season of a 25-30 goal scorer at less then 3M$ as well as the 18th overall pick in a draft that is loaded with talented RW’ers.

You can’t view this as UFA Palmieri for Carlo because, I would agree with you that it wouldn’t make any sense at all.

The trade doesn’t make the team better in 20-21. And unless they get real lucky on the pick, it doesn’t make them better in 2025. But thankfully, they get the chance to sign a 30 year old 2nd line winger to a long term deal! How can they say no!

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
The trade doesn’t make the team better in 20-21. And unless they get real lucky on the pick, it doesn’t make them better in 2025. But thankfully, they get the chance to sign a 30 year old 2nd line winger to a long term deal! How can they say no!

One would think that adding Palmieri and having a great shot at OEL would make Boston better but what do I know.

You can keep Kase as your 2nd line RW’er and Carlo, I’m not here to convince you of anything.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
OEL+Hjalmarsson(50%) For Carlo+DeBrusk+?

I am not sure why Boston would be moving on from Carlo unless there is something we don't know. He is their second pair RD at an affordable price. Their prospects on the back end are all LD, so its not like there is anyone ready to step in.

I would think the counter would be Debrusk, Zboril/Vaakanainen, 2021-2nd
This gives Arizona a good pick plus some other assets that would be at a cap savings overall.

What the bruins come out with:

They solidify their defence for the foreseeable future.

OEL McAvoy
Chara Carlo
Moore Lauzon
Zboril/Vaakanainen( which ever one is left.)

Reactions: BTO

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I think a Boeser and Carlo swap makes a lot of sense. A lot. Especially when you think of Carlo's experience with playing with Krug and how he would compliment Hughes perfectly for the next decade +.
I’m kind of skeptical on Carlo. Doesn’t seem like he has a high hockey iq.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Carlo is not close to be a beast...LOL, Thats funny. He is a over rated wet napkin defensemen. Hits nobody, not very good offensively, Passive. The Bruins need to listen. They could get a haul for this guy....

I love posts like this. You slag on the guy and then say he would fetch a fortune in a trade. Which it is?

Reactions: Coach Parker

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Carlo for Monahan would be interesting from a Flames perspective
I think that would start some conversations if offered.

With Bergeron and Krejci's age in factor, starting to look for their successors sooner than later.

This said.. if Carlo is moved, the Bruins are a little weaker on the RD in terms of depth. So I'd imagine it wouldn't be the only move.

Springfield Isotopes

Dec 9, 2018
Carlo for Palmieri If they could get a contract done and a D prospect due to age difderence between them.

Carlo for Palmieri and Butcher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad