Value of: Brandon Carlo

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Nylander and Kerfoot for Carlo and DeBrusk

I remember saying to myself and posting here many times, 'it's really too bad these two teams are in the same division and meet each other every year because Carlo and Nylander swapping places really helps out both teams.'

I just don't see either team wanting to help the other.

Reactions: Ursus8

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I remember saying to myself and posting here many times, 'it's really too bad these two teams are in the same division and meet each other every year because Carlo and Nylander swapping places really helps out both teams.'

I just don't see either team wanting to help the other.

Last time Bruins and Leafs made a big deal... The Bruins won the cup.

Leafs have historically screwed themselves on any deal with the Bruins in the past decade+, so while it's not impossible at all, I think there is definitely some hesitation on their side.

Harvey Spector

Aug 3, 2020
Vancouver
I love Brando Carlo. Looks like Jake DeBrusk is on the trading block as well. Both players would help the Canucks tremendously. Not sure what it would take to get both but I think Benning with his Boston connections could put a deal together to get both players to Vancouver. Boeser, Virtanen, Gaudette, Juolevi and Kole Lind would be the names that would be talked about going the other way. Realistically Boston would want a forward and Dman in return.

I'd do Virtanen and Juolevi for DeBrusk and Carlo. With Rathbone coming up and Edler looking like he might stick around a bit longer I don' think there is room for both Juolevi and Rathbone. If I had to choose I would keep Rathbone as he has major upside as a compliment to Quinn and to run the second unit PP. Carlo would be a perfect fit for Quinn so we may not have to re-sign Tanev and we can keep that money to pay Toffoli and DeBrusk. Demko looks like a star in the making so we could walk away from Markstrom as well as I think he is going to get paid big dollars once free agency starts.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I love Brando Carlo. Looks like Jake DeBrusk is on the trading block as well. Both players would help the Canucks tremendously. Not sure what it would take to get both but I think Benning with his Boston connections could put a deal together to get both players to Vancouver. Boeser, Virtanen, Gaudette, Juolevi and Kole Lind would be the names that would be talked about going the other way. Realistically Boston would want a forward and Dman in return.

I'd do Virtanen and Juolevi for DeBrusk and Carlo. With Rathbone coming up and Edler looking like he might stick around a bit longer I don' think there is room for both Juolevi and Rathbone. If I had to choose I would keep Rathbone as he has major upside as a compliment to Quinn and to run the second unit PP. Carlo would be a perfect fit for Quinn so we may not have to re-sign Tanev and we can keep that money to pay Toffoli and DeBrusk. Demko looks like a star in the making so we could walk away from Markstrom as well as I think he is going to get paid big dollars once free agency starts.

Well of course you’d do it.

Makes zero sense to Boston.
Boston has Vaakanainen, Lauzon and Zboril as their own LD prospects and both guys you mentioned are garbage, where as Boston is giving up a top4 and top6 player

Carlo for Boeser if you want to go there

Reactions: Merrrlin

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
I'd give up a ton for Carlo..

I usually think that Byram and Newhook should be off the table for anything remotely realistic but for Carlo I might make an exception..
He probably won't break the bank longterm, is a Colorado native (maybe gives us a bit of a hometown discount) and would perfectly round out our top4 for the next decade or so...

Byram- Makar
Girard- Carlo

would probably be among the best and most well rounded top4 units out there for the next 5-10 years if Byram is not a total bust...

I'd do Newhook+ for him as long as EJ is willing to waive his NMC for the expansion draft allowing us to protect all 3 of Makar, Girard and Carlo...

But realistically Carlo is not going anywhere...
EJ does that and he’s an idiot since he is guaranteed to leave Colorado for Seattle.

Harvey Spector

Aug 3, 2020
Vancouver
Well of course you’d do it.

Makes zero sense to Boston.
Boston has Vaakanainen, Lauzon and Zboril as their own LD prospects and both guys you mentioned are garbage, where as Boston is giving up a top4 and top6 player

Carlo for Boeser if you want to go there

Yes Zboril from the infamous 2015 draft. He looks like a beauty. A whopping 2 games in the NHL and a career minor leaguer. I don't think Boston has high hopes for him for their future. They should have drafted Thomas Chabot instead. As for the other two I think Juolevi has more upside than both of them, if it wasn't for the injuries Juolevi would already be a regular in the NHL. I think he makes the Canucks next year, but the issue is we have Rathbone who could be even better.

Yes Virtanen with his 21 goal pace this year is absolute garbage, even though he gets almost zero power play time. I don't think so. If he went to Boston he could be a star, he just needs a change of scenery and to get out of Vancouver with all the hometown distractions.

As for Carlo straight up for Boeser I think Boeser has more value than that, but to be honest if we re-sign Toffoli and with Podkolzin on his way to Vancouver in less than a year I would consider it. If Boston added a pick this year I would pull the trigger.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yes Zboril from the infamous 2015 draft. He looks like a beauty. A whopping 2 games in the NHL and a career minor leaguer. I don't think Boston has high hopes for him for their future. They should have drafted Thomas Chabot instead. As for the other two I think Juolevi has more upside than both of them, if it wasn't for the injuries Juolevi would already be a regular in the NHL. I think he makes the Canucks next year, but the issue is we have Rathbone who could be even better.

Yes Virtanen with his 21 goal pace this year is absolute garbage, even though he gets almost zero power play time. I don't think so. If he went to Boston he could be a star, he just needs a change of scenery and to get out of Vancouver with all the hometown distractions.

As for Carlo straight up for Boeser I think Boeser has more value than that, but to be honest if we re-sign Toffoli and with Podkolzin on his way to Vancouver in less than a year I would consider it. If Boston added a pick this year I would pull the trigger.

Hahhahh

Yeah Juolevi himself has been a major success, a reason to trade s 23y shutdown top4 RD.

Zboril and Juolevi would be ranked similarly and clearly behind Vaakanainen and Lauzon.

Zero intrest in Virtanen and his issues

One of the worst Boston related proposals I’ve seen here.
Addressess nothing while making the roster clearly worse

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
He would be a nice add ,here in Ottawa ...But the price is realistically out of reach...A big RHD,that is still learning how to use that huge frame of his,who doesnt need this

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

In fairness to guys like Zboril & Vaak, they've been blocked by Chara, Krug and Grz. Kind of tough to get TOI when those guys are on the NHL roster. Makes more sense for Vaak and Zboril to get major minutes down in providence vs being the 7th d-man.

Reactions: Richard Lather

Harvey Spector

Aug 3, 2020
Vancouver
In fairness to guys like Zboril & Vaak, they've been blocked by Chara, Krug and Grz. Kind of tough to get TOI when those guys are on the NHL roster. Makes more sense for Vaak and Zboril to get major minutes down in providence vs being the 7th d-man.

Fair points for sure, but at the end of the day Juolevi has much more upside than either one of them. Juolevi if he doesn't get another significant injury could be a top 4 Dman in the NHL. He has the size and the hockey IQ to be a similar player to Edler. His first pass out of the Dzone is incredible, much better than Edler. Benning knew this when he drafted him, but unfortunately because of the injuries we haven't been able to see Juolevi do this in the NHL as of yet.

Harvey Spector

Aug 3, 2020
Vancouver
Hahhahh

Yeah Juolevi himself has been a major success, a reason to trade s 23y shutdown top4 RD.

Zboril and Juolevi would be ranked similarly and clearly behind Vaakanainen and Lauzon.

Zero intrest in Virtanen and his issues

One of the worst Boston related proposals I’ve seen here.
Addressess nothing while making the roster clearly worse

Virtanen would be a stud in Boston, much better than DeBrusk. 20 goal scorer with almost zero PP time and hits like a truck. Put him in Boston's top 6 and see what happens. I'd actually hate to lose Virtanen as I feel as soon as he gets traded he will break out. For whatever reason he has hit a wall in Vancouver and I don't think he will ever reach his potential here. Just like many other power forwards, once they get traded to a team with a better fit they break out. Bertuzzi was a good example. Even a guy like Kassian broke out with Edmonton as he was able to overcome his demons and actually play good hockey after the trade happened.

Virtanen and Juolevi are both top 6 picks in the NHL. Virtanen could be a 30 goal scorer in Boston. Juolevi without the injuries definitely would already be in the NHL and is destined to be a top 4 Dman. The trade isn't a s bad as you think. I'm not saying Boston does it, but it's not the worst one out there. The other option is to give them Boeser which I have no problem doing as long as we re-sign Toffoli. When Podkolzin arrives he will be a top 6 player and a true power forward who can play 20 minutes a night with Horvat, so Boeser can be replaced internally. Carlo would be the guy I would want, not really high on DeBrusk so you can do a Boeser for Carlo trade and Boston can add a sweeter like a 2020 draft pick to close the deal.

Reactions: Coach Parker

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Fair points for sure, but at the end of the day Juolevi has much more upside than either one of them. Juolevi if he doesn't get another significant injury could be a top 4 Dman in the NHL. He has the size and the hockey IQ to be a similar player to Edler. His first pass out of the Dzone is incredible, much better than Edler. Benning knew this when he drafted him, but unfortunately because of the injuries we haven't been able to see Juolevi do this in the NHL as of yet.

I mean I could say the same thing about Zboril or Vaak tbh. Vaak looked good before taking a Boro elbow to the head a few years ago and Zboril's ceiling when drafted was top pairing, but 2nd pairing was more likely. At one point rumors were Boston saw Vaak as McAvoy future d-partner...the elbow by Boro slowed him down a bit though.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

why would the Bruins down grade on both pieces? Do better.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I heard the 31 thoughts podcast mention that Carlo might be moved to make room in the budget for more offense. The Caps would take him

Harvey Spector

Aug 3, 2020
Vancouver
why would the Bruins down grade on both pieces? Do better.

I don't see Virtanen as a downgrade to DeBrusk to be honest, their points are virtually identical this season with DeBrusk playing in Boston's top 6 and regular PP time while Virtanen was mostly on our 3rd line with very little PP time.

But I see your point about Juolevi and Carlo. In reality we need Carlo more than DeBrusk, so I wouldn't have an issue with trading Boeser to Boston for Carlo and a pick if Boston feels the need to upgrade their top 6 if they do decide to trade DeBrusk.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
It makes a lot of sense for BOS, not really for VAN. Carlo as high as I am on him is a 3/4D, while Boeser is a legit 1st line sniper...

I truly think that Vancouver having Carlo and Hughes as the top pairing for literally the next decade would be a huge win for them. I am a big fan of Boeser as a legit scorer but his declining numbers attributed to his shooting % coming back to earth after the rookie year paired with the wrist injuries has me worried about him fetching top dollar. The other big problem with Boeser:

Brock Boeser's qualifying offer after this contract is a minimum of $7.5 million dollars. How many teams see him as that value or can afford that qualifying offer when his bridge contract is up? It's more than anyone on the Bruins top line right now, including Pastrnak.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I don't see Virtanen as a downgrade to DeBrusk to be honest, their points are virtually identical this season with DeBrusk playing in Boston's top 6 and regular PP time while Virtanen was mostly on our 3rd line with very little PP time.

But I see your point about Juolevi and Carlo. In reality we need Carlo more than DeBrusk, so I wouldn't have an issue with trading Boeser to Boston for Carlo and a pick if Boston feels the need to upgrade their top 6 if they do decide to trade DeBrusk.

Solid assessment. Once I learned about Boeser's qualifying offer I saw why he could be the odd man out in Vancouver because of the numbers and cap flattening in the NHL.

I am also high on Virtanen and the gap being closer than people expect between the two Jake's. What's ironic is that I see those two being great linemates with similar traits and skillsets. Not to mention the line name:

'Bo and the Two Jakes'.
or the 'B J's line'

'Charlie and the Two Jake's'

Reactions: Harvey Spector

Harvey Spector

Aug 3, 2020
Vancouver
Solid assessment. Once I learned about Boeser's qualifying offer I saw why he could be the odd man out in Vancouver because of the numbers and cap flattening in the NHL.

I am also high on Virtanen and the gap being closer than people expect between the two Jake's. What's ironic is that I see those two being great linemates with similar traits and skillsets. Not to mention the line name:

'Bo and the Two Jakes'.
or the 'B J's line'

'Charlie and the Two Jake's'

Good points on Boeser and Virtanen. Boeser for Carlo may be an overpayment but Benning needs to look at the overall picture. With Carlo you can pair him with Hughes and your top pairing D is set for the next decade. And then with Podkolzin coming in you basically have a ready made replacement for Boeser who can play with Horvat. And Podkolzin would be on an ELC contract at under $1 million for 3 years which will help us to sign our other players. Boeser will need to be re-signed in a couple years at a minimum of $7.5 million. So if we re-sign Toffoli then our top 6 will get very expensive.

It would be tough to move Boeser but if we re-sign Toffoli and with Podkolzin coming in it will ease the pain. And our top pairing D will be set for the next decade, which is so hard to do in the NHL.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Good points on Boeser and Virtanen. Boeser for Carlo may be an overpayment but Benning needs to look at the overall picture. With Carlo you can pair him with Hughes and your top pairing D is set for the next decade. And then with Podkolzin coming in you basically have a ready made replacement for Boeser who can play with Horvat. And Podkolzin would be on an ELC contract at under $1 million for 3 years which will help us to sign our other players. Boeser will need to be re-signed in a couple years at a minimum of $7.5 million. So if we re-sign Toffoli then our top 6 will get very expensive.

It would be tough to move Boeser but if we re-sign Toffoli and with Podkolzin coming in it will ease the pain. And our top pairing D will be set for the next decade, which is so hard to do in the NHL.

Agreed. Don't forget Hoglander. Canucks true depth is at the wing and the true weakness is RHD if they indeed move on from Tanev (which I think they should).

Suddenly, top pairing locked up for a decade, avoid the 7.5 qualifying offer with two great prospects to replace him to play with Bo. I wouldn't be surprised to see Benning get a prospect he likes from the old system on top of Carlo to seal the deal.

Reactions: Harvey Spector

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
What if it was two of Boston's RHD for two of Vancouver's wingers to help the cap situation in Vancouver even more?

To Boston:

RW Boeser
RW/LW/LTIR Ferland

To Vancouver:

RHD Carlo
RHD Moore

This frees up about $4,000,000 in cap space for Vancouver and adds their top pairing and 3rd pairing RHD to the team at a cost of one RW from the last playoff run.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Blues could really use Carlo now that Pietrangelo is all but gone. What would Boston want in return?

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Blues could really use Carlo now that Pietrangelo is all but gone. What would Boston want in return?

Help on the 2nd line RW. Hence the talk of Boeser with the Canucks. Too bad there wasn't so many questions about Tarasenko's injury history around the Blues. It makes moving him doubtful but more importantly it makes it harder to move another RWer because you don't know if that's creating a second hole if Tarasenko is out for even longer.

Reactions: simon IC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad