Value of: Brandon Carlo

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I'd give up a ton for Carlo..

I usually think that Byram and Newhook should be off the table for anything remotely realistic but for Carlo I might make an exception..
He probably won't break the bank longterm, is a Colorado native (maybe gives us a bit of a hometown discount) and would perfectly round out our top4 for the next decade or so...

Byram- Makar
Girard- Carlo

would probably be among the best and most well rounded top4 units out there for the next 5-10 years if Byram is not a total bust...

I'd do Newhook+ for him as long as EJ is willing to waive his NMC for the expansion draft allowing us to protect all 3 of Makar, Girard and Carlo...

But realistically Carlo is not going anywhere...

Reactions: Coach Parker

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
It makes a lot of sense for BOS, not really for VAN. Carlo as high as I am on him is a 3/4D, while Boeser is a legit 1st line sniper...

That description undersells how rare Carlo is. He's a young, shutdown RHD with team control (1 year left on his bridge + at least 2 years until UFA). There are a handful of that type of player leaguewide. If Boeser doesn't pull a Pesce/Parayko/Pulock, is the base really not workable?

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
I'm not necessarily trying to trade Carlo but rather trying to find his value. He is a great player but we've seen crazier trades happen in NHL.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Without the storied history, I think Toronto is a good fit trade wise.
15th+ a few AHL $ dumps (Paul Carey=375k, Kampfer=800k) + a decent prospect (Hallander?)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Boeser

Nylander

Newhook+

I would be tempted Newhook+. He should be ready in a year, and would be on a ELC for 3 years after that, giving the B's all sorts of cap flexibility.

Leafs are crazy if they don't jump on that deal, both form a hockey fit standpoint, and economically.

Van, too, but a little less so.

Boston can't make the deal, though. Chara, and possibly Krug gone if Nylander and Boeser come back with their inflated salaries? Who will play defense for them, where will they get the money?

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Wtf? Is Chiarelli back in charge in Boston?? Why would the Bs possibly trade a very effective RH D with a team-friendly contract? Especially with Krug and Chara situations looming. Sure, if someone comes in and offers a ridiculous overpay. But under normal circumstances? It would be bizarre.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
With the possible loss of both Chara and Krug I think the last thing Bos should be doing atm is trading away more Dmen.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
It makes a lot of sense for BOS, not really for VAN. Carlo as high as I am on him is a 3/4D, while Boeser is a legit 1st line sniper...

I disagree here as he isn't even that on Vancouver. I watch them every game and he isn't a legit 1st line sniper. He didn't even crack 20 but I have him as a solid 2nd line RW.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
That description undersells how rare Carlo is. He's a young, shutdown RHD with team control (1 year left on his bridge + at least 2 years until UFA). There are a handful of that type of player leaguewide. If Boeser doesn't pull a Pesce/Parayko/Pulock, is the base really not workable?

Which is why I said BOS should not trade him in the first place. Because these Ds typically are worth more to their team than on the market. But in a vacuum I believe goal scorer are more valued than shutdown D so if VAN were to entertain the idea, the + would be significant

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Wtf? Is Chiarelli back in charge in Boston?? Why would the Bs possibly trade a very effective RH D with a team-friendly contract? Especially with Krug and Chara situations looming. Sure, if someone comes in and offers a ridiculous overpay. But under normal circumstances? It would be bizarre.
Ya this ones a pipe dream.

Unless they went out and signed Pietrangelo long term then maybe? Don’t see that either though maybe they shake things up a lot this offseason. Never know I suppose.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Which is why I said BOS should not trade him in the first place. Because these Ds typically are worth more to their team than on the market. But in a vacuum I believe goal scorer are more valued than shutdown D so if VAN were to entertain the idea, the + would be significant

Has this been established, though? Looking at early to mid 20s shutdown RHD with team control and perhaps the best comp is the Adam Larsson trade. Schenn for JvR is out there too. Hamonic's circumstances were unique. C. Murphy was moved for another defenseman.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Has this been established, though? Looking at early to mid 20s shutdown RHD with team control and perhaps the best comp is the Adam Larsson trade. Schenn for JvR is out there too. Hamonic's circumstances were unique. C. Murphy was moved for another defenseman.
Yep Larsson trade is exactly why you don't do this kind of moves. ;)

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Yep Larsson trade is exactly why you don't do this kind of moves. ;)

Respectfully disagree. One team’s strengths and needs aligning with another team’s needs and strengths is rare. The perfect trade is likely not going to materialize. The result of concern with optics is probably a hole in the lineup unfilled. Look at Toronto, which needed this exact player type 3 years ago. The Leafs are still searching for it today.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Respectfully disagree. One team’s strengths and needs aligning with another team’s needs and strengths is rare. The perfect trade is likely not going to materialize. The result of concern with optics is probably a hole in the lineup unfilled. Look at Toronto, which needed this exact player type 3 years ago. The Leafs are still searching for it today.

Oh we fully agree on that point, but GMs want to keep their jobs and not look like fools. Look at the Hall trade, the Jones trade, one side is clearly looking bad :) and the issue is that if you trade Boeser scoring winger and then you have no one to fill the void, you are going going to be criticized by the press the fans and maybe lose your job. If you don't trade Boeser you can always blame the coach : you have provided him with two top centers, a top winger, a good top 4 and a quality goalie ;)

I am the one saying guys like Carlo or Brodin are very important for a cup run. But you also need guys like Boeser to score the goals (MIN proves it ;) )

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-september-13-2020/

upload_2020-9-13_22-43-0.png

upload_2020-9-13_22-43-17.png

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Nearly every team should be interested. Cap will be the issue, as most buyers would have to send cap back to Boston:
- Toronto
- Vancouver
- St. Louis (if Pietrangelo leaves)
- Tampa

Vancouver wouldn’t need to send cap back, at least not in the form of a cap dump.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Really not sure why Boston would trade Carlo but I'd definitely offer Boeser from Vancouver. Carlo is exactly what our defense needs. Mayfield is the only other player that fits the bill tbh.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Pretty rare type of defender,no way Boston moves him...If they did likely every team would take a look....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad