Player Discussion Brandon Carlo II

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
Bumping this thread because I feel it's been flying under the radar... but is anyone else impressed with Carlo's development offensively so far this year?

He was making some great plays in the offensive zone last night against Toronto. Looked really confident and assertive, making good reads, carrying the puck and shooting for rebounds. The production is there too as he's on pace for around 30 points almost a quarter of the way through the season. It's pretty encouraging.

aguineapig

When Krug and he are on, they remind me of of the the highly underrated duo of Bill White and Pat "Whitey" Stapleton of 70"ish Hawks. Bobby, Park, and the Holy Trinity of the Habs ( Savard, LaPointe,Robinson) got all the accolades, but these guys were really good as a pair. White, tall,lanky and a Righty, was as steady as they go as there was in the day. Whitey was an undersized mite ala Krug, could move the puck and put up some numbers, his 50 assists in 69 were a record till Bobby shattered them the next season. After the Game one blowout in the 72 summit series against Soviets, Harry put these two together and they were the anchor of Team Canada's D the rest of that series. White even scored a goal in the Final game and was a +7 in the series, Whitey a +6 .

Reactions: ThomasJ13

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Bumping this thread because I feel it's been flying under the radar... but is anyone else impressed with Carlo's development offensively so far this year?

He was making some great plays in the offensive zone last night against Toronto. Looked really confident and assertive, making good reads, carrying the puck and shooting for rebounds. The production is there too as he's on pace for around 30 points almost a quarter of the way through the season. It's pretty encouraging.

My feeling is more "about time" because you knew he had some offense to his game. He was just so focused early on with being a shutdown guy that he didn't show his offensive side.

Reactions: missingchicklet

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
The most effective change he has made this year is shooting as soon as he touches the puck at the blue line. Exactly what he needs to do.

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
I like him better with Grzelcyk. He feels less pressure to dish to Krug.

Maybe
Z Mcavoy
Grz Carlo
Krug Miller

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Krug does not belong on the bottom pairing.

I will go so far as to say the krug we watched in last year's playoffs doesnt belong in a bottom pairing. but I suspect he really needs to give 100% of what hes capable of to get to that level.

normal everyday 82 game a year krug can best be used when sheltered in a 3rd pair

as for carlo… since this is his thread... I dont think he plays well with krug. carlos best play over the past few years is when hes working with a solid defense-first partner. chara has been the best partner for carlo. carlo seems to get more physical when hes the 'lightweight' on the pair.

not sure we currently have an ideal partner for carlo going forward... perhaps lauzon? I think carlo is good enough we should plan around him. I also think krug is good enough we should plan around him. and obviously McAvoy is in this mix for me too.

1 guy anchors first pair
1 guy anchors second pair
the last guy anchors the 3rd pair

and then whoever else joins the conversation must mesh effectively with at least 1 of these big 3

Reactions: bryson21

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
My feeling is more "about time" because you knew he had some offense to his game. He was just so focused early on with being a shutdown guy that he didn't show his offensive side.
Definitely true. Watching him pre-NHL, the kid showed signs of having decent offensive game. I have enjoyed watching him shoot this season when in the past he would have passed the puck. He and Charlie both need to look to score more. Pretty clear that Bruce has been encouraging Carlo to jump into the offensive play more often. Now if he can just develop a bit of a mean streak... Kid is so freaking humble and nice.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Definitely true. Watching him pre-NHL, the kid showed signs of having decent offensive game. I have enjoyed watching him shoot this season when in the past he would have passed the puck. He and Charlie both need to look to score more. Pretty clear that Bruce has been encouraging Carlo to jump into the offensive play more often. Now if he can just develop a bit of a mean streak... Kid is so freaking humble and nice.
Don’t hold your breath.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Brandon Carlo is grateful for Bruins’ support after personal tragedy - The Boston Globe

Brandon Carlo was in the Bruins lineup for Wednesday’s game against the Canadiens, just as he was Sunday in Detroit. The 23-year-old defenseman is a vital piece of the Bruins puzzle, a 6-foot-5-inch, 212-pound defenseman with brute strength and superior skill.

In fact, Carlo was on the ice for the first 55 games this season, until last Saturday, when he left the team for what was announced as a family matter. And now, after heading to Wyoming to attend the funeral of his brother-in-law, Carlo will play the remainder of the schedule with a very special memory in his heart.

In a quiet moment following practice Tuesday at Warrior Arena, Carlo spoke about Levin Comly, the husband of his sister Jessica, who died tragically at the age of 35. Out of respect to his family, Carlo kept the details private, but he was honored to describe a man who was always smiling, made anyone in the room happier by his presence, and who will be missed terribly by a tight-knit group of relatives.

But being part of the Bruins is also part of Carlo’s healing, something he felt the moment he rejoined the team Sunday in Detroit, ready to play, but also ready to feel the support of friends.

“It’s been fantastic to be around these guys, to see everybody here,” he said. “These are some of my best friends, a brother in a different aspect.

“It was nice because they just gave me a hug when I came back, accepted me back, and to have that to kind of get your mind off everything else is really, really good for you.”

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Brandon Carlo is grateful for Bruins’ support after personal tragedy - The Boston Globe

Brandon Carlo was in the Bruins lineup for Wednesday’s game against the Canadiens, just as he was Sunday in Detroit. The 23-year-old defenseman is a vital piece of the Bruins puzzle, a 6-foot-5-inch, 212-pound defenseman with brute strength and superior skill.

In fact, Carlo was on the ice for the first 55 games this season, until last Saturday, when he left the team for what was announced as a family matter. And now, after heading to Wyoming to attend the funeral of his brother-in-law, Carlo will play the remainder of the schedule with a very special memory in his heart.

In a quiet moment following practice Tuesday at Warrior Arena, Carlo spoke about Levin Comly, the husband of his sister Jessica, who died tragically at the age of 35. Out of respect to his family, Carlo kept the details private, but he was honored to describe a man who was always smiling, made anyone in the room happier by his presence, and who will be missed terribly by a tight-knit group of relatives.

But being part of the Bruins is also part of Carlo’s healing, something he felt the moment he rejoined the team Sunday in Detroit, ready to play, but also ready to feel the support of friends.

“It’s been fantastic to be around these guys, to see everybody here,” he said. “These are some of my best friends, a brother in a different aspect.

“It was nice because they just gave me a hug when I came back, accepted me back, and to have that to kind of get your mind off everything else is really, really good for you.”

35 years old...so sad, love Carlo, the kind of D-man any contending team needs

Reactions: bme44

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
I really hope Brandon isn't hurt badly. Looking at the replay you can see Davidov intention by really put some power to that elbow to Carlo face and it must have felt. It looks like it hit him square on the jaw. I guess everybody know the feeling of getting punched directly on the jaw. Feels like it will end up in the back of the head and likely cause a concussion. Carlo didn't look too well when he went off but I guess any news won't be until tomorrow.

It really sucks for Brandon and the Bruins. He's been playing very well and consistently performed at a high level all season. He's most important to the Bruins playoff hopes. He and Charlie McAvoy are invaluble to the Bruins defense and they can't afford to lose any of them.

Reactions: Lady Rhian

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Cheap play and of course the Bruins lose their shutdown Dman right before the playoffs. NHL and their OPS should be dissolved. This is the shit that players hate and the cheap stuff that will only increase when accountability is gone from the game.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Cheap play and of course the Bruins lose their shutdown Dman right before the playoffs. NHL and their OPS should be dissolved. This is the shit that players hate and the cheap stuff that will only increase when accountability is gone from the game.

Well let's hope it isn't anything serious that will keep him out for more than a game or two at most. He is critical piece of the defensive puzzle.

Reactions: Lady Rhian
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad