Player Discussion Brandon Carlo II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
It was mentioned in another thread about Carlo's current speed (or lack thereof).

Did this guy hit the weight room a bit too hard during the lockdown?

Because he looks considerably slower than we last saw him in March. He used to be one of the smoothest skating big men in the league, now his stride looks choppier and his straight line speed and first step aren't what they once were. He wouldn't be the first hockey player to bulk up too much and take away from what made them really good to begin with (their skating ability).
I can’t tell whether it’s physical or mental, or both with him. He plays well the angrier, the more “Tasmanian-devil”-like he is. Problem is that we only see that occasionally and fleetingly from him.

Reactions: BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Carlo has always frustrated me. He's a much better player when he brings the nasty but there are too many games when he just doesn't do it.

The Murph

Feb 25, 2018
The best Carlo, is the physical, quick, agile one, who jumps up into plays and is a rock defensively. He's done that, I remember it vividly.

He doesn't have an overrated skillset, but he's inconsistent. Little concerned if he can mentally become the player he can be consistently.

Unfortunately, pretty certain, we won't be seeing the good Carlo these playoffs, even if they made the Final.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
He's proven himself to be a very high level shutdown dman. Haven't his detractors here been watching him these past few years This?

This run has been an aberation. Something is wrong whether mental or physical, but he has a long impactful career ahead of him.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
He's proven himself to be a very high level shutdown dman. Haven't his detractors here been watching him these past few years This?

This run has been an aberation. Something is wrong whether mental or physical, but he has a long impactful career ahead of him.
I said it in the Ritchie but I think the extra muscle has thrown his balance out of wack which has affected the rest of his game.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Honestly might be time to ditch Chara AND krug. McAvoy and Carlo may never hit their full potential playing with these guys.

That being said, Carlo has been awful and has seemed to peak which is very scary.

I think it’s way too early to say Carlo has peaked. He’s still only 23 years old and is just shy of 300 NHL games. He wa already has having his best season for production (19 points, 67 games — 0.28 PPG PCs) and I felt was really coming into his own defensively (which he’s always been pretty solid at). He needs to up the physicality more but even that has come out this season.

Reactions: hrdpuk and JCRO

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I think it’s way too early to say Carlo has peaked. He’s still only 23 years old and is just shy of 300 NHL games. He wa already has having his best season for production (19 points, 67 games — 0.28 PPG PCs) and I felt was really coming into his own defensively (which he’s always been pretty solid at). He needs to up the physicality more but even that has come out this season.
Ya I don’t think he’s peaked either. This whole bubble thing has seen players who were playing well look like shells of themselves.

That said I wish the guy could find his inner animal a little more often. A guy his size with his reach could be a terror out there. Just be half a Parayko in the meanness department.

Or an eighth of a Pronger. Any more than that these days you’ll miss half a season

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Ya I don’t think he’s peaked either. This whole bubble thing has seen players who were playing well look like shells of themselves.

That said I wish the guy could find his inner animal a little more often. A guy his size with his reach could be a terror out there. Just be half a Parayko in the meanness department.

Or an eighth of a Pronger. Any more than that these days you’ll miss half a season

I think you'll have to give up on the physicality thing. He can improve a little in that area, but I think he just doesn't have it in him. Some guys are like that. It's a fool's errand.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I think you'll have to give up on the physicality thing. He can improve a little in that area, but I think he just doesn't have it in him. Some guys are like that. It's a fool's errand.
You’re probably not wrong. Maybe his teammates can drag it out of him.

Cut a half inch off his sticks everyday. Call him at 3am to rave about the latest episode of Glee. Never let him have a turn at Mario Kart in the dressing room.

The little things add up

Reactions: Dr Hook

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston

yup Carlo was our best defensemen last postseason

he was a force out there

cNt really get on guys for having bad bubble playoffs with how weird it is not to mention

the only players on this roster I think are performing to what they usually do are

Marchand
Krejci
Nordstrom
Wagner
McAvoy
Grzelyck

after that everyone has played well below what were used to

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I think he’s out of shape. 4 months off. Don’t know if he kept training. I think it’s a problem for some others too.

Reactions: hrdpuk

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
that shot he took on the breakaway was peewee material. at least get the goalie moving before you shoot it in the chest.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I think he’s out of shape. 4 months off. Don’t know if he kept training. I think it’s a problem for some others too.
They said at the start of this he put on some muscle weight. Don’t think it’s really helped him thus far

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

I agree. He was pretty good before the shut down. Something is off

Reactions: hrdpuk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad