Confirmed with Link: Brady Tkachuk - The decider: signs 3 year ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
seriously, its not that some people were wrong about him, its that they went on and on about the "mistake".
not even admitting that they MIGHT be wrong. zadina zadina, next draft next draft, grinder grinder blablabla

once again, i told you so. and i'll keep telling you. all you have to do is listen. so simple
Not having our pick in the upcoming draft is going to be horrible though. That pick is very likely to be a legit top line C, which is going to be our biggest need. Our C depth is terrible. I'd take one of the top 4-5 Cs or Kakko over Brady in a heart beat.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Not having our pick in the upcoming draft is going to be horrible though. That pick is very likely to be a legit top line C, which is going to be our biggest need. Our C depth is terrible. I'd take one of the top 4-5 Cs or Kakko over Brady in a heart beat.

Maybe. Or maybe we make playoffs.

Maybe we trade one or both of Stone and Duchene for 1st Rd Picks, and win the lottery with one of those picks?

Too many variables to know for sure.

Basically, you would be banking on being really bad this year, winning the lottery and hoping that your selection pans out.

Reactions: albator71

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Maybe. Or maybe we make playoffs.

Maybe we trade one or both of Stone and Duchene for 1st Rd Picks, and win the lottery with one of those picks?

Too many variables to know for sure.

Basically, you would be banking on being really bad this year, winning the lottery and hoping that your selection pans out.
We don't need to win the lottery, we just have to finish bottom 5, which we are. This is clearly the worst team in the NHL.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
We don't need to win the lottery, we just have to finish bottom 5, which we are. This is clearly the worst team in the NHL.

I honestly do not see how this team is worse than the Rangers and Wings. They've looked better than the Yotes as well and similar to the Nucks. They're not good that's clear but they're not THE worst team. With average goaltending I could see the team out of the bottom 5 pretty easily. The Knights have also been atrocious to start the season although I expect that to change at least when Schmidt is back.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I honestly do not see how this team is worse than the Rangers and Wings. They've looked better than the Yotes as well and similar to the Nucks. They're not good that's clear but they're not THE worst team. With average goaltending I could see the team out of the bottom 5 pretty easily. The Knights have also been atrocious to start the season although I expect that to change at least when Schmidt is back.
Rangers have Lundqvist in net and Detroit have actual NHL defensemen taking regular shifts in front of Howard and Bernier. I think they're gonna easily be more competitive on most nights.

Haven't seen the Yotes play yet this year but I can't imagine they're worse defensively with OEL than we are.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Tkachuk would go top-five in next years draft as well, all this talk about next year being some magically historic year for rookies is extremely premature, imo.

I'm also not as convinced as I once was that we're guaranteed to finish bottom 3-5 (we're still gonna be bad and are definitely not a playoff team, but this team is starting to give off pesky vibes).

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Tkachuk would go top-five in next years draft as well, all this talk about next year being some magically historic year for rookies is extremely premature, imo.

I'm also not as convinced as I once was that we're guaranteed to finish bottom 3-5 (we're still gonna be bad and are definitely not a playoff team, but this team is starting to give off pesky vibes).

This team will adjust just like other teams.
Let's simply hope there is also progression with ajustement becauseit won't cut it.

I hope that a guy like Jaros can solidify a 3rd pairing with Wolanin. But i'm not banking on Boro being out.

Yesterday, Dorion jad an interview on tsn 1200 and he said : I think I know who the fans would want out of the lineup but it's not going to happen.

The question was regarding Harpur coming in at some point.

Which lead to me thinking he was talking about a Boro. But with Chabot and Lajoie outplaying Boro in all facet of the game. Boro will have to be put out if Wolanin is to enter.. Jaros eventually will too.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Rangers have Lundqvist in net and Detroit have actual NHL defensemen taking regular shifts in front of Howard and Bernier. I think they're gonna easily be more competitive on most nights.

Haven't seen the Yotes play yet this year but I can't imagine they're worse defensively with OEL than we are.

The Yotes just haven't been able to score goals and they mostly rely on guys like Keller, Dvorak, Strome to do that and Stepan just hasn't looked good since being moved there. OEL is good, but OEL has been in Arizona for a decade and they've been bad all along just like we finished bottom 3 last season with the best defensemen in the NHL. About just every team has a OEL level player, Buffalo finished last with a guy like Eichel on their first line and O'Reilly as their 2nd line C it just doesn't mean much it's more about how the team plays as a unit and how they compete every night.

Much of the same for Detroit, they have poor D, average goaltending and can't score. Their best forward is Larkin and their best D is Green I guess? Lundqvist is looking like a shell of himself as he did for parts of last season and Georgiev might be taking his job this year if he plays decent hockey.

Just look at the Devils last season. That was all on Hall and Hynes. They had nothing overly special overall on their roster, Kinkaid played a ton of games but the team was all on the same page. They were a pretty bad roster on paper, yet they did fairly well compared to what was expected of them before the season started.

Again I'm not saying Ottawa is a good team or that they could or will replicate what the Devils did. All I'm saying is they definitely aren't playing like the worst team in the NHL right now from what I've seen.

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

No. Kakko would have probably gone 2nd in 2018 and he's probably not even going to go top 5 in 2019. Tkachuk wouldn't even challenge for top 10 in 2019.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
No. Kakko would have probably gone 2nd in 2018 and he's probably not even going to go top 5 in 2019. Tkachuk wouldn't even challenge for top 10 in 2019.

Sorry if I don't take the word of the resident Tkachuk hater all that seriously in this case. Based on how you view Tkachuk, it's quite obvious he's outside of your personal top-10 next year. I've always liked Tkachuk (going back before we took him) so I have a very different opinion clearly.

Kakko is also in no way better than Svechnikov.

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
There have been quite a few bad takes on Tkachuk. As Tkachuk continues to defy his detractors, the goal posts keep on moving. The arguments change but the intent and purpose remain the same, and that is to trash Brady.

The original arguments against Tkachuk went some thing like this:
1. Tkachuk has no skill.
2. He is throwback to the old NHL and his style is now anachronistic
3. He only had 8 goals.
4. Bloodlines are the only reason he is considered a top five pick.
5. At best, he is complementary winger.

Then the arguments went like:
6. Well, he does have some skill, but other guys like, Zadina, Hughes and Dobson are the real game breakers. And with a top 5 pick, you go big and don’t settle on just good.

Brady impresses at camp and in the early part of season and then arguments turn to the 2019 draft.
7. Well he might have been a good pick in 2018 draft, but wow, just look at the 2019 draft, where the top 5 is pure magic. We should have given up the pick.

To point 7, I know some people are not super Brian Burke fans, but he said during the broadcast, the top ten, with the exception of Hughes, is not a particularly strong this year and 2018 was class actually better. At this early stage, the opinion goes against the grain, but it will be interesting to monitor.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Only Hughes Rn is a defacto number 1 centre and at the can't miss elite level

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

We have been told that the Sens feel that Tkachuk is better than anyone not named Hughes in the 2019 draft.

We will have to see if they are right but even you have to admit that Tkachuk has looked legit so far.

Reactions: stempniaksen

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I don't disagree with the strength of the 2019 draft.. Its apparent to anyone paying even a little attention. IMO the mistake was made in the evaluation of the team being a possible contender, trading away Turris who would have returned a high pick possibly a 2019 1st, and giving away a lottery pick in the process .. for what less than 2 years of Duchene.. and then the same Management group who thought we were contenders did a 180 and made a decision to blow it up and rebuild... that is just brutal management... Now given that we are rebuilding ..It will take a lot more than 1 pick to get us into the top 10 teams in the league. Brady Tkachuk is a guy I want on my team. I will need to get more players and we hope they will be there with other moves to get a 2019 1st and if not .,, try to add to the 2020 1sts. Having Tkachuk is a big plus as far as I am concerned .. even recognizing the high end players in 2019. Would I rather have Cozens or Dach ,., probably but those guys are birds in the bush right now.

Reactions: Icelevel

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't know much about Jack Hughes & since he is ranked #1 next season I'll take it that he is an exceptional player. Unfortunately, being last doesn't guarantee the first overall pick & the luck of winning the lottery is the only thing that guarantees getting Hughes. I have seen Dylan Cozens play a few times & he seems to be ranked second on most of the sites I have seen behind Hughes. From what I have seen of Cozens given the chance I would love to be in a position to draft him, but I'm not sure he will turn into a better player than Tkachuk. I like what I see but I think Tkachuk has many more variables to his game.

IMO Tkachuk just does much more things than Cozens, he can hit, he can fight, he can score, he can go to the net & cause havoc, he can be a pest, he can play as well defensively as he does offensively, he's a hard guy to play against, he can motivate his teammates & he is one of those special players that makes everyone around him better. IMO Hughes is the only guy that I think may be better than Tkachuk in next yr's draft. Ottawa also seems to get much more positive media attention with Tkachuk than before which doesn't hurt given all the bad press this organization has had recently.

Also Ottawa has Brown coming who IMO has the potential to be a #1 centre on this team probably sooner than later. He already has NHL size, skill, vision & IQ & really just needs to acclimate to the pace, speed & grind of an 82 game schedule. Ottawa also has Batherson coming who also has NHL size & once he adjusts is the kind of player who can make a difference & has top six potential. Chabot, Lajoie, Tkachuk & Formenton all look like they are going to be good players in the NHL. White still needs to find his game & I imagine he will soon & they also have Chlapik & Jaros coming soon. Not sure why so many people continue to bitch about what we don't have & don't appreciate what we do have in Ottawa. And they will have a number of good draft picks coming in 2020 so not having a first in 2019 is not that big a deal IMO.

Last edited:

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Tkachuk's second goal last night put at ease all the worries of his ability to score at the NHL level. He's going to be a really good player with an undetermined ceiling. There are some things he still obviously needs to do, primarily adding size and muscle to his frame while maintaining his skating ability. Once he has those elements I'm not sure how anyone can look at him as a player and say he's not going to be one of the best wingers in the league.

Reactions: derriko and aragorn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad