Confirmed with Link: Brady Tkachuk - The decider: signs 3 year ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
No. Kakko would have probably gone 2nd in 2018 and he's probably not even going to go top 5 in 2019. Tkachuk wouldn't even challenge for top 10 in 2019.

Process this: Kakko, a Patrik Laine like talent (actually producing even better right now). Isnt a consensus top 5 pick in his this draft.

Kakko is ranked 2nd-4th in all the rankings I've seen. If he truly is a Laine-type talent, he'll easily go in the top 3. So in other words, only way he's not a top 5 pick is if he doesn't have a good year, thus making teams think he's not going to be at Laine's level. Laine is one of the league's elite goal scorers. This draft isn't so amazing that a player of that potential ability slips out of the top 5.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Kakko is ranked 2nd-4th in all the rankings I've seen. If he truly is a Laine-type talent, he'll easily go in the top 3. So in other words, only way he's not a top 5 pick is if he doesn't have a good year, thus making teams think he's not going to be at Laine's level. Laine is one of the league's elite goal scorers. This draft isn't so amazing that a player of that potential ability slips out of the top 5.
GM’s value big highly skilled centres over wingers. Dach and Cozens are elite.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Tkachuk's second goal last night put at ease all the worries of his ability to score at the NHL level. He's going to be a really good player with an undetermined ceiling. There are some things he still obviously needs to do, primarily adding size and muscle to his frame while maintaining his skating ability. Once he has those elements I'm not sure how anyone can look at him as a player and say he's not going to be one of the best wingers in the league.

Easy. He doesn't have high end talent, and his production at every level over the past 3YRs does not suggest he's going to be an elite point producer.

I think he has the potential to be a Wayne Simmonds-type power forward, and I think that's a fair comparable in terms of upside based on everything I've seen of him the past couple years (20+ games at multiple levels).

He doesn't have to end up one of the best wingers in the league to be a good pick at #4. He just has to be better than the likes of Zadina, Dobson, Bouchard, Hughes etc.. and if he could end up having a similar impact on the game as a guy like Simmonds, good chance he ends up as the BPA in hindsight.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Looks like the officials hand still has the puck when he leaves. Might be checking his jersey cuz it often looks tucked and that would be against the rules. Could be wrong though cuz the video ends so quickly you can barely see whats in his hand.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Rangers have Lundqvist in net and Detroit have actual NHL defensemen taking regular shifts in front of Howard and Bernier. I think they're gonna easily be more competitive on most nights.

Haven't seen the Yotes play yet this year but I can't imagine they're worse defensively with OEL than we are.

I thought my wings fan buddy told me something about detroit icing 4 rookie defenseman with green out or something...also i think theyre icing more total rookies than us. Go look at their lineup, you probably won't recognize quite a few names.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
I see a lot of Jamie Benn in him. Wouldn’t be surprised if he followed that type of production progression pattern as he continues to grow season to season.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Rangers have Lundqvist in net and Detroit have actual NHL defensemen taking regular shifts in front of Howard and Bernier. I think they're gonna easily be more competitive on most nights.

Haven't seen the Yotes play yet this year but I can't imagine they're worse defensively with OEL than we are.

Unless OEL plays all 60 minutes we dont know if that's true or not.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Tkachuk's production in the USHL and NCAA actually compares well to Blake Wheeler^s USHL and first NCAA season production. I see some similarities in their games if Tkachuk can become a nastier and more physical version of Wheeler that would be huge.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
No. Kakko would have probably gone 2nd in 2018 and he's probably not even going to go top 5 in 2019. Tkachuk wouldn't even challenge for top 10 in 2019.

I heard that if Rasmus Dahlin was coming out in 2019 he would only be drafted in the second round because that crop of rookies are the best ever! :sarcasm:

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I don't know much about Jack Hughes & since he is ranked #1 next season I'll take it that he is an exceptional player. Unfortunately, being last doesn't guarantee the first overall pick & the luck of winning the lottery is the only thing that guarantees getting Hughes. I have seen Dylan Cozens play a few times & he seems to be ranked second on most of the sites I have seen behind Hughes. From what I have seen of Cozens given the chance I would love to be in a position to draft him, but I'm not sure he will turn into a better player than Tkachuk. I like what I see but I think Tkachuk has many more variables to his game.

IMO Tkachuk just does much more things than Cozens, he can hit, he can fight, he can score, he can go to the net & cause havoc, he can be a pest, he can play as well defensively as he does offensively, he's a hard guy to play against, he can motivate his teammates & he is one of those special players that makes everyone around him better. IMO Hughes is the only guy that I think may be better than Tkachuk in next yr's draft. Ottawa also seems to get much more positive media attention with Tkachuk than before which doesn't hurt given all the bad press this organization has had recently.

Also Ottawa has Brown coming who IMO has the potential to be a #1 centre on this team probably sooner than later. He already has NHL size, skill, vision & IQ & really just needs to acclimate to the pace, speed & grind of an 82 game schedule. Ottawa also has Batherson coming who also has NHL size & once he adjusts is the kind of player who can make a difference & has top six potential. Chabot, Lajoie, Tkachuk & Formenton all look like they are going to be good players in the NHL. White still needs to find his game & I imagine he will soon & they also have Chlapik & Jaros coming soon. Not sure why so many people continue to ***** about what we don't have & don't appreciate what we do have in Ottawa. And they will have a number of good draft picks coming in 2020 so not having a first in 2019 is not that big a deal IMO.

Tkachuk seems to have the "IT" factor. Maybe it's the name and the family rep but he has got a natural swagger and confidence that will only grow with time. His teammates and fans will feed off him.

Reactions: derriko

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Not having our pick in the upcoming draft is going to be horrible though. That pick is very likely to be a legit top line C, which is going to be our biggest need. Our C depth is terrible. I'd take one of the top 4-5 Cs or Kakko over Brady in a heart beat.

Yes but terrible for which reasons?

To not "lose" the trade? Unfortunately for us, Melnyk only cares about the short term bottom line so "winning" the trade is not important right now

Because we give a pretty good prospect to another team? They don't care because that team is in the West

I think we could all agree that it should have been handled differently. I mean if you're painting yourself in a corner by acquiring Duchene and sacrificing your 1st round pick, you should absolutely follow through and try to be competitive as much as possible.

Now regarding the center depth, I totally disagree.

Duchene
Tierney
Pageau
Smith
Carey

Brown
Chlapik
White
Paul
Batherson (although he will probably be groomed as a RW)
Norris

It's not Crosby-Malkin or Tavares-Matthews but really don't see it as an organizational weakness.

We don't need to win the lottery, we just have to finish bottom 5, which we are. This is clearly the worst team in the NHL.

We'll see. I'd bet that they don't finish bottom-3, and probably not bottom-5

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Looks like the officials hand still has the puck when he leaves. Might be checking his jersey cuz it often looks tucked and that would be against the rules. Could be wrong though cuz the video ends so quickly you can barely see whats in his hand.

There is an extended clip out there, the official fumbles a bit but definitely tucks the puck in there, congratulates BT, and skates away. TSN had the full clip I think. One of the guys fishes it out right after and gives it to the trainer.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Yes but terrible for which reasons?

To not "lose" the trade? Unfortunately for us, Melnyk only cares about the short term bottom line so "winning" the trade is not important right now

Because we give a pretty good prospect to another team? They don't care because that team is in the West

I think we could all agree that it should have been handled differently. I mean if you're painting yourself in a corner by acquiring Duchene and sacrificing your 1st round pick, you should absolutely follow through and try to be competitive as much as possible.

Now regarding the center depth, I totally disagree.

Duchene
Tierney
Pageau
Smith
Carey

Brown
Chlapik
White
Paul
Batherson (although he will probably be groomed as a RW)
Norris

It's not Crosby-Malkin or Tavares-Matthews but really don't see it as an organizational weakness.

We'll see. I'd bet that they don't finish bottom-3, and probably not bottom-5
The team will definitely finish bottom 5.

On the Cs. I look at that group and have no confidence it can compete against the quality of 1Cs in our division. Matthews/Tavares, Bergeron, Eichel, Barkov, Point/Stamkos. We don't really have a true #1. Duchene is a 1LW or 2C on a competitive team. This year's pick would have been our big chance to draft the #1C we've lacked since Spezza left. But we gave away that chance to get that corner stone we so desperately need so we could draft Tkachuk, who plays the least valuable position and deepest position in the sport. Its gonna haunt us for 10+ years.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Unless OEL plays all 60 minutes we dont know if that's true or not.
The Yotes have played 3 games and allowed 6 goals. We've already allowed 6 goals in a single game twice. They have Demers, Goligoski and Hjarlmarsson behind OEL. I don't think its even close. They actually have a pretty legit top 4.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

On the Cs. I look at that group and have no confidence it can compete against the quality of 1Cs in our division. Matthews/Tavares, Bergeron, Eichel, Barkov, Point/Stamkos. We don't really have a true #1. Duchene is a 1LW or 2C on a competitive team. This year's pick would have been our big chance to draft the #1C we've lacked since Spezza left. But we gave away that chance to get that corner stone we so desperately need so we could draft Tkachuk, who plays the least valuable position and deepest position in the sport. Its gonna haunt us for 10+ years.
Byfield (or whoever the first centre taken in 2020 is) might be our only realistic hope.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

Trochek, Mittlestad and Krejci are no slouch either.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
The Yotes have played 3 games and allowed 6 goals. We've already allowed 6 goals in a single game twice. They have Demers, Goligoski and Hjarlmarsson behind OEL. I don't think its even close. They actually have a pretty legit top 4.

Defense and goaltending is not their problem.

They' ve scored 3 goals in 3 games and got shut out twice... Letting in 6 goals in 3 games is fine but the goal is to win the game still. You're ignoring really important factors.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Tkachuk would go top-five in next years draft as well, all this talk about next year being some magically historic year for rookies is extremely premature, imo.

I'm also not as convinced as I once was that we're guaranteed to finish bottom 3-5 (we're still gonna be bad and are definitely not a playoff team, but this team is starting to give off pesky vibes).
this is pretty much the talk every single year lol unless its a notably bad year

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Not having our pick in the upcoming draft is going to be horrible though. That pick is very likely to be a legit top line C, which is going to be our biggest need. Our C depth is terrible. I'd take one of the top 4-5 Cs or Kakko over Brady in a heart beat.

Put your self in the GMs shoes ........ you're sitting at the draft, and Montreal have just selected Jesperi Kotkaniemi, giving you the option of selecting one of Brady Tkachuk, Filip Zadina, Quinn Hughes or Barrett Hayton .......... you have the choice of giving the Avalanche your 2018 pick, and hope you are in a better drafting situation in a year.

You have to choose between a number of players you, and your scouts have researched and analyzed for a year or longer ........... this is the "Bird in the Hand" scenario, and you have no way of knowing where you will be selecting in a year, and how the lotteries will unfold, possibly pushing you down even further (again) than where your team sits before the lotteries ............... Do you select a known commodity, or do you gamble and roll the dice and hope things fall your way next year???

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Put your self in the GMs shoes ........ you're sitting at the draft, and Montreal have just selected Jesperi Kotkaniemi, giving you the option of selecting one of Brady Tkachuk, Filip Zadina, Quinn Hughes or Barrett Hayton .......... you have the choice of giving the Avalanche your 2018 pick, and hope you are in a better drafting situation in a year.

You have to choose between a number of players you, and your scouts have researched and analyzed for a year or longer ........... this is the "Bird in the Hand" scenario, and you have no way of knowing where you will be selecting in a year, and how the lotteries will unfold, possibly pushing you down even further (again) than where your team sits before the lotteries ............... Do you select a known commodity, or do you gamble and roll the dice and hope things fall your way next year???
If the decision to rebuild was made in February, I don't give a shit how much time and effort was put into scouting this year. Giving up the 2018 pick should have been a no-brainer. You take that gamble 100 times out of 100, especially if you've already committed to trading Hoffman and Karlsson both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad