Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk: Episode 6 - Return of the F.A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
It's honestly a very lucid and realistic take.
Completely disagree but to each their own. I don't think anyone has overhyped Brady's game so far. If anything he is underrated by people who say he is not skilled. He's not going to be a superstar, obviously.

My point is we have a young, skilled, power forward who brings nothing but positive vives and energy to the game and fanbase, yet we still have people who try to bring him down and focus on flaws and negatives. If you can't find joy watching and cheering for Brady, then what exactly are you watching this sport for?

Brady is even in the header photo on the NHL's official twitter account. He's not just hyped by the team/fans. NHL (@NHL) | Twitter

Reactions: aragorn

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Pandemic probably kills the chance of an 8 to 9 mil deal.

I don't see how he gets more than Chabot did, and that's before taking into account the devastating impact of the pandemic on HRR and what that means for the cap going forward and any contracts getting signed.

True, but we also don't really know what's gonna happen.

But Brady could also very easily play hardball with the senators. How bad would it look if they hype up Brady as the franchise cornerstone only to not sign him to a long term contract and lose him? It's the same reason Dorion overpaid Colin White. And Brady carries significantly more amount of clout than White. Not to mention he's firmly entrenched as a fan favourite already.

Reactions: topshelf15

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Brady is even in the header photo on the NHL's official twitter account. He's not just hyped by the team/fans. NHL (@NHL) | Twitter
You don't think the NHL consults the Sens on which of their players get promoted?

The Sens have made a very conscious decision to make Brady the face of the franchise. The financial cost of that decision is to give Brady's camp far more leverage than his game merits.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Completely disagree but to each their own. I don't think anyone has overhyped Brady's game so far. If anything he is underrated by people who say he is not skilled. He's not going to be a superstar, obviously.

My point is we have a young, skilled, power forward who brings nothing but positive vives and energy to the game and fanbase, yet we still have people who try to bring him down and focus on flaws and negatives. If you can't find joy watching and cheering for Brady, then what exactly are you watching this sport for?

He's overhyped because on a normal team he's the 3rd or 4th best forward, and the 3rd or 4th highest paid forward. But Ottawa management have hyped him up as their cornerstone forward. He can absolutely cash in on that and demand a top forward player salary.

I mean look at how much better/valuable Tkachuk is than White, and White got close to 5 mill. No way Brady is accepting anything less than 7.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
You don't think the NHL consults the Sens on which of their players get promoted?

The Sens have made a very conscious decision to make Brady the face of the franchise. The financial cost of that decision is to give Brady's camp far more leverage than his game merits.
No I don't because the Sens are never promoted. That's just his natural marketability on display.

Chabot is considered the face of the franchise just as much if not more. Hence the huge contract.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So, likely an unpopular question:

Among the people who were doubtful of Brady when he was drafted, have you fully changed your tune?

I was worried about that pick because I didn't see enough dynamic skill from Brady. I think I'm still worried about that a little bit, despite his success in the league. I'm not questioning his value right now; he's an awesome player and hugely valuable. I'm just wondering about the probability of major regression from him, or him sinking into more of a "good role player" type of guy.

Anybody else worried about that? Would anyone consider dealing him for a high pick at this year's draft if a team bites and one of the big names is still on the board? It would obviously be risky to trade him, but having three star players coming out of this draft together might open a nice window for us to compete. They'd all be on entry level deals timed perfectly together.

I'd say there's still a bit of a question mark on his overall skill level. I wonder a bit about his hands with the puck, and some overall skill refinement both hands and feet. I really have a hard time thinking he'll manage to break 55+ points.

But.....just looking at points would be a big mistake. He's a very unique player, who has a lot of intangibles (in a good way) with the team. One thing we've always lacked is swagger, the attitude that we're gonna win, no matter what. Brady has that in spades. That kind of attitude - especially when it comes from an infectious personality - can do as much to lift a team as an generational goalie or top scorer. Some guys just know how to win, and I think Brady has that.

I think moving him at this point would be a mistake. This team definitely needs a bit of an attitude if we're going to be punching above our weight in this league. You know we'll never be a true cap team, so we need those intangibles to try and make up the difference.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
He's overhyped because on a normal team he's the 3rd or 4th best forward, and the 3rd or 4th highest paid forward. But Ottawa management have hyped him up as their cornerstone forward. He can absolutely cash in on that and demand a top forward player salary.

I mean look at how much better/valuable Tkachuk is than White, and White got close to 5 mill. No way Brady is accepting anything less than 7.

7 would be totally fine by me. Hype and marketing is one thing, but salary for forwards mainly comes down to point production and future point production. Depends when he signs too. If I were him I would wait until the end of 20-21 to sign.

IMO he is a cornerstone forward, but he will not be the best forward on this team down the road after this draft.

As for White, Brady should obviously get more than him, but even White almost had the same amount of points in his rookie year, and plays C.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
True, but we also don't really know what's gonna happen.

But Brady could also very easily play hardball with the senators. How bad would it look if they hype up Brady as the franchise cornerstone only to not sign him to a long term contract and lose him? It's the same reason Dorion overpaid Colin White. And Brady carries significantly more amount of clout than White. Not to mention he's firmly entrenched as a fan favourite already.

The reason Dorion overpaid White is because he erred in his projection going forward. Had White put up another 50 pts pace like the one he was on when we signed him, the deal would look fine.

Tkachuk won't get grossly overpaid because we are afraid to lose him, he'll be grossly overpaid if he doesn't live up to expectations.

Alternatively, we will sign him to a bridge deal during which he will show exactly what he is worth and he get what he is worth at that point (or get traded).

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I'd say there's still a bit of a question mark on his overall skill level. I wonder a bit about his hands with the puck, and some overall skill refinement both hands and feet. I really have a hard time thinking he'll manage to break 55+ points.

But.....just looking at points would be a big mistake. He's a very unique player, who has a lot of intangibles (in a good way) with the team. One thing we've always lacked is swagger, the attitude that we're gonna win, no matter what. Brady has that in spades. That kind of attitude - especially when it comes from an infectious personality - can do as much to lift a team as an generational goalie or top scorer. Some guys just know how to win, and I think Brady has that.

I think moving him at this point would be a mistake. This team definitely needs a bit of an attitude if we're going to be punching above our weight in this league. You know we'll never be a true cap team, so we need those intangibles to try and make up the difference.
We also can't forget that Brady was living with Mark Stone throughout the whole "we tried" charade, and that Mark Stone's agent is also BT's uncle. There is no way that BT signs below market value, he, his agent and his whole family are well aware of what is going on behind the scenes here and will demand he get paid top dollar.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
No I don't because the Sens are never promoted. That's just his natural marketability on display.

Chabot is considered the face of the franchise just as much if not more. Hence the huge contract.

I agree that Brady has that, and it's another reason his contract value is going to be inflated relative to his on ice performance.

You said yourself he's not a superstar forward. But he's gonna get paid very close to superstar forwards.

It would have been easier if they didn't let Stone walk. If they sign Stone, they have their leader, and also a natural internal salary cap. Brady can't justify being paid 8 mill when Mark Stone makes 9 mill. But since that top spot is empty, Brady can just say that's how much I want.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
We also can't forget that Brady was living with Mark Stone throughout the whole "we tried" charade, and that Mark Stone's agent is BT's uncle. There is no way that BT signs below market value, he, his agent and his whole family are well aware of what is going on behind the scenes here.

Who is saying he should sign below market value? I don't think his market value is close to 8-9 million. There's no reason for it to be.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Who is saying he should sign below market value? I don't think his market value is close to 8-9 million. There's no reason for it to be.
He is going to want MORE than market value, and based on the PD hype train, he deserves it, the question is, how much will Melnyk be willing to pay him? BT has some solid NHL ties and a strong support system who have all been through these types of negotiations before. He will most definitely be playing hardball if Melnyk doesn't cooperate.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I agree that Brady has that, and it's another reason his contract value is going to be inflated relative to his on ice performance.

You said yourself he's not a superstar forward. But he's gonna get paid very close to superstar forwards.

It would have been easier if they didn't let Stone walk. If they sign Stone, they have their leader, and also a natural internal salary cap. Brady can't justify being paid 8 mill when Mark Stone makes 9 mill. But since that top spot is empty, Brady can just say that's how much I want.

I expect he'd get a contract similar to Clayton Keller if he signed for 8 years.

I don't think Stone being here or not effects his salary. I don't think the opportunity of being on the first line changes the salary - it's taking advantage of that and producing that would change the salary. If I was Tkachuk I'd play out the contract as I think he'll put up a lot more points next year.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
We also can't forget that Brady was living with Mark Stone throughout the whole "we tried" charade, and that Mark Stone's agent is also BT's uncle. There is no way that BT signs below market value, he, his agent and his whole family are well aware of what is going on behind the scenes here and will demand he get paid top dollar.

Not to mention his dad is Keith Tkachuk who is probably gonna talk him out of any notions of team loyalty to get the cap hit down.

Especially with how Melnyk and Dorion treated its star players.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yeah ,count me in the boat that sees BT as a player that holds all the cards ...He could ask for the moon ,and we would have to try and do it .....This is one of the residual effects of EM...Nobody is ever going to cut him a deal ever again,and we have to suffer because of it

Reactions: BatherSeason

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

This is a total fallacy.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Not to mention his dad is Keith Tkachuk who is probably gonna talk him out of any notions of team loyalty to get the cap hit down.

Especially with how Melnyk and Dorion treated its star players.
Another very good point,Tkachuk in WPG didnt give them any deals...Same boat here,we dont spend...And move away star players when the want their money

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
This is a total fallacy.
How so???BT has all sorts of leverage here ...Do you think he doesnt understand the relationship with the owner and the teams fans???If EM thinks its bad now ,wait until BT asks for the moon and EM says no...There wont be a fan left in the building

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
This again is why EM cant own the team anymore,we will never be able to build a stanley cup winner if we have to overpay every player we have....This is totally his fault ,by being the lying sack of crap he has been for a decade...No player or agent will ever take him at his word

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
He is going to want MORE than market value, and based on the PD hype train, he deserves it, the question is, how much will Melnyk be willing to pay him? BT has some solid NHL ties and a strong support system who have all been through these types of negotiations before. He will most definitely be playing hardball if Melnyk doesn't cooperate.
I'm not sure what his current market value would be.

Matt Tkachuk - 3 years $7 million
Clayton Keller - 8 years $7.1 million
Nico Hischier - 7 years, $7.25 million
Patrik Laine - 2 years $6.75 million

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I'm not sure what his current market value would be.

Matt Tkachuk - 3 years $7 million
Clayton Keller - 8 years $7.1 million
Nico Hischier - 7 years, $7.25 million
Patrik Laine - 2 years $6.75 million
Most of those teams are in a better situation than we are,save NJ maybe as they gave Hischer alot for what he has actually done

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
How so???BT has all sorts of leverage here ...Do you think he doesnt understand the relationship with the owner and the teams fans???If EM thinks its bad now ,wait until BT asks for the moon and EM says no...There wont be a fan left in the building
you're not wrong but the same exact words were said about Chabot and his contract

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I suspect a bridge ,that will again have us worried and thinking its Stone all over again ....

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

With the virus and the shamozle of a playoff tournament they can't get off the ground and the general day in the life of the Senators, I wouldn't even attempt to try and figure out any future contracts for our kids.

Too many new variables to try and account for. Not to mention they still need to hammer out a new CBA in two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad