Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk: Episode 6 - Return of the F.A.

Discussion in 'Ottawa Senators' started by RAFI BOMB, May 5, 2020.

1. Fenix Rises 2026 Alfie forever!

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I didn't say Brady would sign. He might choose he wants to play somewhere else, or he might not like the offer he gets, or the org might decide he's not part of the plan going forward. Normal NHL negotiation stuff.

I'm just taking a shot at the joyful wallowing I see here so often. Way too many posts boil down to "no player will ever sign here again, because our owner is such a big stinky poo poo head!".

I'm no Melnyk fan, but it's just not how things works. Chabot and White are proof of that.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  2. topshelf15 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    His nose for the net and his physicality,would likely have those guys playing an inch or two taller as well...We are pretty lucky to have such a rare style of player like him

Sens of Anarchy and aragorn like this.
  3. aragorn #Boucherout

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Including you & this post. Gallagher is a great player & loved in Montreal.

4. topshelf15 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Yeah I hate that little punk,but would love him if he was a Sen

aragorn likes this.
  5. Sens of Anarchy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Love Gallagher and Marchand can't stand Kadri

NyQuil, Senscore and aragorn like this.
  6. Sensung Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    To each their own.

I dislike this kind of player. Wearing a Sens uniform changes nothing for me.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  7. danielpalfredsson why you zaitsev to be mad its only a trade

SB Cash:
    $ 10,000
    not a schmohawk
    There is a premium on players who play like Tkachuk. Look at what Kreider just got on his UFA deal as a 29 year old 50 point winger. 6.5 million 7 years term for a player who will be exiting their prime early on in the contract.

If Tkachuk barely improves going forward, he is a similarly valuable player. Except, a 7 or 8 year contract with Tkachuk will buy up 4 UFA years right in Tkachuk's prime (25-29).

7 million on a 6 year term would have been perfectly reasonable. It would not have been a bargain or a discount. Landeskog signed a contract after his first two years in the league where he put up an average of 48 points per 82 games. He was also a highly drafted power forward. Adjusting his cap hit for an 81.5M cap, his contract would be 7 x 7.

I think with the uncertainty around the salary cap, and Tkachuk's family pedigree, he will know enough to play out the season and then sign a bridge deal. I'll be shocked if he goes long term. The smart thing to do would be to go 2-3 years with a high QO like his brother did, hope that HRR recovers by the end of the bridge, and then cash in as a UFA whether it is here in Ottawa, or else where.

The Senators managed to get Chabot signed to a really great contract, so that gives them a leg up, because they can point to their best player making 8 x 8, back loaded, no signing bonuses, no NMC in UFA years. Tkachuk still has to want to play ball like Chabot did, but getting the best player signed to that kind of conract at least sets a good precedent.

8. danielpalfredsson why you zaitsev to be mad its only a trade

SB Cash:
    $ 10,000
    not a schmohawk
    I don't think people thought they wouldn't sign here.

Personally, I had a few issues.

First, with White, there was very strange leaks that the Senators wanted him to take an ATO. This was from Garrioch. Teams use ATOs when College free agents can sign ELCs that will slide anyways. So on paper, they sign an ATO in the AHL and a post-dated ELC. This doesn't really change anything for the prospect and allows the team to not use a contract slot on the player until the next season (among other things).

The thing about White was, his contract was not going to slide regardless, so an ATO should have never been on the table. It made no sense. They were talking about how they wanted him to sign an ATO and prove himself in the AHL, and then if he didn't stink, he'd get his ELC. WTF? So they wanted him to lose all his leverage, and his College eligibility for a chance at an ELC that is typically a given for a player of his calibre. White did end up signing an ATO, and was signed to the NHL shortly after. The entire thing was unprecedented and busch league, and made me worried that White would not sign if the Senators tried to play hardball and not allowed him to burn a year off of his ELC. (Again, he'd burn a year just by signing because of his age). I can't recall a team who has done a similar thing with a highly rated prospect.

With Chabot, I don't recall many people saying he wouldn't sign. Personally, I was very concerned about the prospect of a trade if Chabot wanted to explore free agency. The issue was that if we weren't willing to pay big money in signing bonuses, we were very susceptible to an offer sheet that was front loaded and would only give us a 1st/2nd/3rd in compensation. I had been posting about it for a few months, and then we saw Montreal use the exact same strategy with Aho. If the Senators thought they were susceptible to the same thing, and if they weren't able to match, they'd probably have to trade Chabot as a defensive move before July 1st.

They ended up signing Chabot to a great contract that had an extremely team friendly structure with no signing bonuses, a back loaded salary, and no NMC during the UFA years. I'm not in the room, so I can't say how much of that is on the organization developing strong norms within their core guys, or how much of that is just Chabot's personality. Regardless, they got him signed to an amazing deal and avoided the prospect of a big money team doing the same thing to us that was done to another budget team with the Aho offer sheet.

9. flying v 604 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    As of right now BT is not getting anywhere near 7
    Boeser in Van is signed to a 4 year 5.5 deal and is still an RFA after.
    Brock minus the injuries prolly scores at least 30 his first 2 seasons. He has developed his playmaking and is much better defensively then his first 2 years.

I know BT brings some unique elements but he doesn't have the elite offensive upside Brock has BT seems like a perfect 3rd line winger with top pp time.
    The list you provided reminds me how bad some of these GMs are giving up, that Keller contract is gross based on his play.
    I think a 4 year deal at 5.25 with a player favourable QO is what he deserves and at 4 years he still is an RFA. No way should the team sign him to a Keller type deal, max year deals should be for the elite foundational type like Chabot.

10. aragorn #Boucherout

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Look at the contract Tom Wilson got, Wash love him because he helps them win games & that is what modern sport is all about ... winning. If the player regardless of his style of play is helping the team to win games than he is a valuable player to that team.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  11. Ice-Tray Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    3rd line winger?

lol.... I see not much has changed in here...

Bileur, Samsquanch and Alfie11 like this.
  12. danielpalfredsson why you zaitsev to be mad its only a trade

SB Cash:
    $ 10,000
    not a schmohawk
    Boeser signed for 3 at 5.875M with a 7.5M QO.

The Senators won't go 4 years with Brady, because that will take him right to UFA status. I think a 3 year deal is most likely because of the uncertainty around the cap, and because of Brady's familial connections. Probably something like 3 years, 6 million (give or take a few 100k).

UFA status is 7 pro seasons, or 27 years old, whichever comes first. Because Brady started in the NHL right out of the draft, the Senators cannot go 4 years without taking him right to free agency.

13. NyQuil F.Y.O.U.S.

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Well, he’s a Canucks fan.

Ice-Tray likes this.
  14. aragorn #Boucherout

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    No he's not, he's too passive & makes too many defensive mistakes. I'm not sure it's a role he can take on at his age, I don't think he needs that pressure added to what the team already is asking him to do including playing a lot more minutes than he should. BT has the personality to handle it much better & carry the team on his back, he's the obvious choice IMO & looks much better suited to handle the role publicly & behind the scenes.

15. Sensung Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    For all those posters assuming that Brady will be a playoff warrior and pointing to his similarities to Keith.

Keith
    Regular season .89 ppg 73 point pace
    Playoffs .63 ppg 52 point pace (zero cups)

16. Tranquilo Naito Old School Rat Rink

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Keith also played for mediocre teams in the western conference at a time when parity wasn't a thing and had to go up against powerhouse Detroit and Colorado teams.

Bileur likes this.
  17. aragorn #Boucherout

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    What has that got to do with anything? Different players playing in different eras, those comparisons are meaningless.

18. HzH Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    yet people so often compare brady to matt and keith . like brady is gonna be the same level of player.

19. Sensung Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    The zero cups, sure.

The drop off in production, not so much.

20. Tranquilo Naito Old School Rat Rink

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Similar levels of talent. Much different personalities.

21. Sensung Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Many posters, yourself included if memory serves, have gone on record stating Brady will be a playoff warrior due to being a “power forward” like his father.

I thought some facts were in order. Keith was a playoff dud. Hope Brady is better.

22. Sensung Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    What does this post have to do with Brady Tkachuk?

23. aragorn #Boucherout

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Spoken like someone who never saw his father play.

24. Sensung Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Been watching hockey since 1970...try again.

Keith was a playoff dud and penalty magnet. Instead of elevating his play, his production dropped.

25. Bileur Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    To be fair, when we say he’ll be a playoff warrior we’re taking into account that Brady is playing in 2020 not 1998, where his physical style is much more rare and where defensemen are much more likely to be smaller and softer.

Saying he will be a playoff warrior also isn’t limited to point production. Gary Roberts was a key to the leafs beating the sens in 03-04, he only had 4 points in 7 games.

Also, while you are demonstrating facts about Keith’s production (as opposed to performance), do you actually disagree that Brady will be a warrior, beast, menace or whatever other synonym you choose in the playoffs?