Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk: Episode 6 - Return of the F.A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
i dont know, brady does too many dumb things to be captain. rather Chabot or just roll assistants until we get someone like Lafreniere

Like what ? I see a charismatic kid willing to stand up for his teammates. He leads the league in shots+hits and will fight if needed too. Seems to have a good report with the officials and he’s strong in the locker room.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yup.

Shift disturbers don't make good captains.
Not a lot of guys deemed shift disturbers that have the profile to be considered as captain material. We don't typically label guys like Gordie Howe, Perry, Pronger, or Roenick as shift disturbers but if not for their other skills that's probably how they would be thought of. Instead, shift disturber is usually attributed to guys like Burrows, Avery, Ott.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Not a lot of guys deemed shift disturbers that have the profile to be considered as captain material. We don't typically label guys like Gordie Howe, Perry, Pronger, or Roenick as shift disturbers but if not for their other skills that's probably how they would be thought of. Instead, shift disturber is usually attributed to guys like Burrows, Avery, Ott.
Brady's production is that of a shift disturber.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Brady's production is that of a shift disturber.
He's a second year player.

His production is better than Perry at the same age, Roenick was a 66pts player at 20 in his 2nd year, when adjusted for era and games played that's pretty similar to Tkachuk's production this year.

Now look at what shift disturbers usually did at his age;
Ott: 7 pts
Cooke: 2 pts
Burrows: Not in the league (12 pts at 24)
Avery: Not in the league (4 pts at 21)

Even extending it to high skilled shift disturbers:
Kadri: 12 pts
Kesler: 23 pts at 21
Marchand: 1 pt at 21, 41 pts at 22

He's well ahead of the curve for typical shift disturbers,

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
He's a second year player.

His production is better than Perry at the same age, Roenick was a 66pts player at 20 in his 2nd year, when adjusted for era and games played that's pretty similar to Tkachuk's production this year.

Now look at what shift disturbers usually did at his age;
Ott: 7 pts
Cooke: 2 pts
Burrows: Not in the league (12 pts at 24)
Avery: Not in the league (4 pts at 21)

Even extending it to high skilled shift disturbers:
Kadri: 12 pts
Kesler: 23 pts at 21
Marchand: 1 pt at 21, 41 pts at 22

He's well ahead of the curve for typical shift disturbers,
Now compare the roles they had breaking in.

Brady has been gifted top line minutes based on Sens rosters for the last two years that have been stripped of talent by the financially motivated firesale.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Now compare the roles they had breaking in.

Brady has been gifted top line minutes based on Sens rosters for the last two years that have been stripped of talent by the financially motivated firesale.
So we're punishing Brady because he excelled at a young age? Typical shift disturbers peak at Brady's 19-20 year old production. He is not a typical shift disturber.

Brady broke in on a team that still had Stone, Duchene, Dzingel and Pageau. We had trade Karlsson which gave us more depth up front and Hoffman at that point which resulted in Boedker taking up a soot till we confirmed he was junk.

Last edited:

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
So we're punishing Brady because he excelled at a young age? Typical shift disturbers peak at Brady's 19-20 year old production. He is not a typical shift disturber.
It's an idiotic take. Brady would make a fantastic captain. Mature beyond his years. Chabot would be a good choice too.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Not punishing Brady, just providing context to the numbers you posted.

Players that conduct themselves in his manner are not respected by officials and should not be the team's spokesperson on the ice.

Chabot is far more talented and his calm presence would get the team more leeway with officials.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That remains to be seen.

Players that conduct themselves in his manner are not respected by officials and should not be the team's spokesperson on the ice.

Chabot is far more talented and his calm presence would get the team more leeway with officials.
Thats a different argument though.

All i am saying is calling him a shift disturber minimizes what he actually brings to the table.

He is guaranteed getting a letter, so refs will be dealing with him regardless.

To me, it's far more about whether his team will follow him then if refs like him or not. Do you think refs liked Pronger or Messier? Both were pretty dirty players on the ice and well respected for their leadership.

It's not luke Brady is headhunting like Torres or licking people like Marchand.

Reactions: Bileur

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
That remains to be seen.

Brady's personality might be more effective with the officials than Chabot. Brady's a charismatic guy and I can't recall him chirping or crying to the refs like Crosby used to. Yes, he's a pain to play against but I don't know if the officials mind that.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Not punishing Brady, just providing context to the numbers you posted.

Many quipped that Alfie was a bad captain because he was too passive though.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Brady's personality might be more effective with the officials than Chabot. Brady's a charismatic guy and I can't recall him chirping or crying to the refs like Crosby used to. Yes, he's a pain to play against but I don't know if the officials mind that.
He also has a swagger and edge we have not had in a long time (or ever?). There's no doubt in my mind we would have a Cup right now if we had Tkachuk in the 2000's.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Many quipped that Alfie was a bad captain because he was too passive though.
Many people hold foolish opinions.

Chabot is more talented. His work ethic is great. He's calm under pressure and he has committed to the team with a long term contract.

I can't stand players like Brady, playing for the Sens doesn't change my disdain for his style. Refs don't respect players that are constantly stirring things up and whom they need to be constantly monitoring. It's why Kadri and Gallagher don't get the benefit of the doubt on calls. Talented players but the act wears thin with officials and eventually teammates.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Many people hold foolish opinions.

Chabot is more talented. His work ethic is great. He's calm under pressure and he has committed to the team with a long term contract.

I can't stand players like Brady, playing for the Sens doesn't change my disdain for his style. Refs don't respect players that are constantly stirring things up and whom they need to be constantly monitoring. It's why Kadri and Gallagher don't get the benefit of the doubt on calls. Talented players but the act wears thin with officials and eventually teammates.

Getting the benefit of the doubt in what sense? He was second in penalties drawn this year, with two less than Marchand.

Tkachuk is everything you want in a leader in my opinion. Different style than Chabot, but players would go through a wall for this guy. He is 100% effort all the time.

Reactions: aragorn and Bileur

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Foligno is quite the shift disturber who was far from the refs favourite at times getting absolutely no benefit of the doubt particularly when he was around the crease, and he has been an excellent captain by all accounts in Columbus.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Foligno is quite the shift disturber who was far from the refs favourite at times getting absolutely no benefit of the doubt particularly when he was around the crease, and he has been an excellent captain by all accounts in Columbus.
So how many cup winning captains have been shift disturbers since 67?

Messier, I'll give you. Who else fits the mold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad