Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk: Episode 5 - Management Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
People who think that wasn’t intentional likely haven’t played hockey at a high level.
024046AF-6BBC-4E3A-BD13-D88780DC51FB.gif

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010

I dunno, maybe he did, maybe he didn't, but I just don't see why it's so hard to believe that he did it on purpose. He's not the most skilled player on the planet, but as a guy who spends so much time in front of the net, I'm sure he spends a ton of practice time on deflections, and given his personality, he probably goofs around with some trick plays like that once in a while.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I dunno, maybe he did, maybe he didn't, but I just don't see why it's so hard to believe that he did it on purpose. He's not the most skilled player on the planet, but as a guy who spends so much time in front of the net, I'm sure he spends a ton of practice time on deflections, and given his personality, he probably goofs around with some trick plays like that once in a while.
It's a percentage play. You angle you stick and either it goes in the net, or maybe it gets right on your partner's stick. When it works it's pretty. His instinct is just to direct everything toward the net. In the same game he had a shot from the side of the net, where there was no chance it would go in on its own, but you never know.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
The over-hype is real.

Anyone with 2 cents worth of common sense knows he was trying to deflect the puck towards the goal and not pass it to Ennis. He was just way off with his deflection that it ended up on Ennis' stick. Gotta love the misinformation.
It’s a set play that they’ve tried like 3 times in the last few games. It just happened to work that time. Of course Brady is doing that on purpose.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Someone ask him on Instagram or Twitter already.

You know, one of you millennials that know how to do it. I suspect he'd probably be pretty honest about it.

Or maybe @ianmendes can ask Brady whether it was an intentional tip pass or just a tip that fortuitously found Ennis.

The fan base appears a bit divided on the issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: JD1

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Man anyone nervous about the contract they are gonna give this guy?

White got 4.75 mill based off one NHL season spent with Mark Stone.

What is Dorion going to give Tkachuk? 8 mill? If that's the case, might as well fold the franchise.
8 x 8M would be fine by me.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
That was intentional for sure, he knows how to tip a puck, and that in no way intended to be a tip on net.
He spends extra time on the ice after almost every practice working on deflections. It was on purpose IMO

Reactions: aragorn

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
His brother signed 7aav x 3 after a 77 point season, Brady will be looking for the same length, at a much lower aav in all likelihood. He has nowhere near the stats to get close to 8aav as an RFA
We don’t know what he will do next year. If he puts up 35 goals next year he may look at a bridge very close to 8M. I’d go 8 x 8M if I could get him signed this summer.

Reactions: aragorn

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
We don’t know what he will do next year. If he puts up 35 goals next year he may look at a bridge very close to 8M. I’d go 8 x 8M if I could get him signed this summer.

That's extremely high

Reactions: DrEasy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It took Chabot scoring 55 points in 70 games as a D to earn him an 8 x 8 contract, ~50 points in 82 from Tkachk isn't going to get a contract close to that, 8 x 8 is incredibly high for 2 40-50 point seasons as a forward.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017

I get the trend that some players are getting deals based on potential production in the near future, but that deal would be horrific if they signed that this summer.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Regarding all of these good young players we always have to ask the question on whether they want to re-sign & stay here in this small market or go to a bigger market in a much more lively & fun town to play & maybe with a lot less pressure than a Canadian city & warm. Ottawa can only control that situation for so long & than to decision comes down to the player if he is looking for a different life style, different tax rate & different climate.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
His brother signed 7aav x 3 after a 77 point season, Brady will be looking for the same length, at a much lower aav in all likelihood. He has nowhere near the stats to get close to 8aav as an RFA
I don't think the AAV will be much lower. I cant see him signing for less than 6 even if it is only a 3 year contact

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Regarding all of these good young players we always have to ask the question on whether they want to re-sign & stay here in this small market or go to a bigger market in a much more lively & fun town to play & maybe with a lot less pressure than a Canadian city & warm. Ottawa can only control that situation for so long & than to decision comes down to the player if he is looking for a different life style, different tax rate & different climate.

We may have had problems signing free agents but I'm not convinced we have trouble re-signing our own homegrown players provided we have a reasonable amount of cash to offer and some organizational stability.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
We may have had problems signing free agents but I'm not convinced we have trouble re-signing our own homegrown players provided we have a reasonable amount of cash to offer and some organizational stability.
Ottawa has a lot of Americans on their team, who knows where they would like to play & whether they like it here or not, others have left when we thought they would stay. Hard to argue against a warm weather climate or big city with low taxes & great nightlife when you're a rich young man, however, Ottawa has the control for a few RFA yrs anyway.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ottawa has a lot of Americans on their team, who knows where they would like to play & whether they like it here or not, others have left when we thought they would stay. Hard to argue against a warm weather climate or big city with low taxes & great nightlife when you're a rich young man, however, Ottawa has the control for a few RFA yrs anyway.

It's interesting - I remember seeing the results from some of those player polls and quite a few made comments about how they like to put on Sportsnet and TSN when they are on the road up in Canada because hockey is so much more prominent.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
That was intentional for sure, he knows how to tip a puck, and that in no way intended to be a tip on net.
Jmho but that is a practiced, set play with Brady. And it is hard to defend too. The dude has long arms and a big ass. Beautiful pass by Batherson. He's going to be a good one on the PP

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I don't think the AAV will be much lower. I cant see him signing for less than 6 even if it is only a 3 year contact
He’d better put up a 30+ goal 30 assist season then, because that’s what will be needed for a 3 x 6aav. His brother put up 35 goals and 42 assists and got the 3 x 7.

The 3 year deal is in his interest, not the teams.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I get the trend that some players are getting deals based on potential production in the near future, but that deal would be horrific if they signed that this summer.
Several factors in my thinking.
1. If Brady goes to next summer he will be offer sheet bait. Almost every team would match any offer, but Melnyk.
2. The team is still trying to sell tickets. I think they push to sign Brady this summer as more proof they are committed to spending. Nobody is signing a bridge a year early.
3. I expect about 30 goals from Brady next season. With everything else he brings I think you would be looking at 7 x 3 on a bridge.
4. Brady loves hockey and works at it non stop. He is not someone I am scared to lock up long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad