Player Discussion Brady Skjei

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
still think he has potential. Hopefully, we will see Skjei-Trouba again once the youngsters get used to the NHL.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
he had a rough start and is truthfully kind of a dumbass but he has been our best defenseman this year IMO. he forms a really dynamic pair with TDA. I think they should be the top pair this year.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
he had a rough start and is truthfully kind of a dumbass but he has been our best defenseman this year IMO. he forms a really dynamic pair with TDA. I think they should be the top pair this year.
Welcome to the dark side.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Would like to see him traded if there is a decent deal. 10 hits in 12 games is unacceptable. Especially compared to his buddy Trouba who has 34 hits in 12 games.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Would like to see him traded if there is a decent deal. 10 hits in 12 games is unacceptable. Especially compared to his buddy Trouba who has 34 hits in 12 games.

Fox and ADA have 10 hits combined, should we trade them too?!?!?

I get wanting to move Skjei, but his lack of hits shouldn't be the reason why.

Reactions: The S5

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I just find it so hard to believe he just flatlined like that after such a great early start to his career.
It's been disappointing, but he's still just 25 so there's time for him to turn it around. Mika, for example, had consistency issues and didn't put it all together until he was 25. But, Mika at least showed some type of progress and development whereas Skjei has just kind of stalled out.

I blame Tom Renney.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I just find it so hard to believe he just flatlined like that after such a great early start to his career.
AV's leftover turd

iu

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Third best at best. And given experience and expectations a case could be made for Fox, Hajek and Lindgren. I’m not Skjei’s hater but if he doesn’t eliminate regular brain farts he could fall behind of a few upcoming lefties and find himself outside of the organization.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Skjei is viewed much more highly around the league than he is on this board, IMO. I think he could be packaged with someone like Buch and a D prospect to bring back a very good young player and could easily fetch a 1st on his own. He’s on what’s viewed as a good contract. Frankly, he’s bone headed and would be better served just simplifying his game but if he made 1M less we wouldn’t be discussing him in the same light. We’d be pretty happy with Skjei at 4.25, I think. I’d like to get a coach on the staff who can work with our D on better playing to their strengths and simplifying certain things. Skjei, to me, tries to hard to be like a roving Mike Green type sometimes and that’s just not his game. He should be a poor mans McDonagh.

With how thin the D in Winnipeg is I wonder if we couldn’t make something like Skjei + Howden/Strome/Buch for Ehlers work.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I feel like this serves as somewhat of a companion piece to something that was discussed in response to the concept of trading Trouba - sometimes guys can achieve success because they are in a role that plays to their strengths and avoids their weaknesses.

While sometimes we want to elevate a guy based on his performance in a certain role, that’s not always the best approach. Skjei was a guy who benefited from someone in front of him drawing the tougher assignments and sacrificing points so that the guys taking shifts after him could enjoy more favorable matchups.

In spurts, Skjei showed he could assume a larger role. But once his safety net was removed, and he became the guy who set the tone for those following him, it became apparent that it wasn’t the right role for him on a nightly basis.

That is why guys like McD and Trouba have a value that doesn’t always show up in their points total. It’s also why anyone should be leery of trading someone like Trouba based on the assumption that our flashier options on the right side will be able to replace him.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
That is a low count, but there are many who think that "hitting" is overrated, especially a dman when he doesn't know WHEN to do it. Could take himself out of the play. Playing it safe? When paired with Trouba the BOTH dont need to be hitting, Brady lets his buddy take care of that.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Skjei is viewed much more highly around the league than he is on this board, IMO. I think he could be packaged with someone like Buch and a D prospect to bring back a very good young player and could easily fetch a 1st on his own. He’s on what’s viewed as a good contract. Frankly, he’s bone headed and would be better served just simplifying his game but if he made 1M less we wouldn’t be discussing him in the same light. We’d be pretty happy with Skjei at 4.25, I think. I’d like to get a coach on the staff who can work with our D on better playing to their strengths and simplifying certain things. Skjei, to me, tries to hard to be like a roving Mike Green type sometimes and that’s just not his game. He should be a poor mans McDonagh.

With how thin the D in Winnipeg is I wonder if we couldn’t make something like Skjei + Howden/Strome/Buch for Ehlers work.
I think Brady is and has become HF's new Malik. This board has become "bored" with ripping Marc, so Brady is the guy. He hasnt been anywhere near horrific, but if coincides with expectations. After surprisingly getting locked up (funny, thats what we wanted at the time) but just kind of thinking that we wanted that because he was the ONLY young bright spot we had back there at the time. Now that we seemingly are getting all these younger shiny new toys, most everyone is pushing Brady out the door. Yes, he needs to be better and makes some bonehead mistakes but not many defenseman don't. He hasnt had a steady RHD and has done everything asked of him. So, I ask a legit question. What has changed? Does he all of a sudden suck? Or, is it that we just want him out, because we want our shiny new toys to play until they arent shiny anymore?
I guess no one has noticed a few of his really nice offensive rushes. Maybe I need new glasses.

Reactions: LokiDog

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
That is a low count, but there are many who think that "hitting" is overrated, especially a dman when he doesn't know WHEN to do it. Could take himself out of the play. Playing it safe? When paired with Trouba the BOTH dont need to be hitting, Brady lets his buddy take care of that.

to me hitting is underrated, it is still a contact sport, everybody should be finishing checks, especially in the playoffs.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
to me hitting is underrated, it is still a contact sport, everybody should be finishing checks, especially in the playoffs.

hitting also means the other team has the puck...like many stats, without context it can be misleading...

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Brady has been fine, watching some of our breakouts tonight a lot of problems happen because of our wingers either not being available for an outlet or fumbling it when they get it. I really have no idea what to do with Staal however, he didnt look good again tonight but I doubt he comes out.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I feel like this serves as somewhat of a companion piece to something that was discussed in response to the concept of trading Trouba - sometimes guys can achieve success because they are in a role that plays to their strengths and avoids their weaknesses.

While sometimes we want to elevate a guy based on his performance in a certain role, that’s not always the best approach. Skjei was a guy who benefited from someone in front of him drawing the tougher assignments and sacrificing points so that the guys taking shifts after him could enjoy more favorable matchups.

In spurts, Skjei showed he could assume a larger role. But once his safety net was removed, and he became the guy who set the tone for those following him, it became apparent that it wasn’t the right role for him on a nightly basis.

That is why guys like McD and Trouba have a value that doesn’t always show up in their points total. It’s also why anyone should be leery of trading someone like Trouba based on the assumption that our flashier options on the right side will be able to replace him.
Brilliant post. This is what I come to hfboards for.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
always a big brady skjei guy. he shows legit flashes of top end skating and 2 way play.

but again last night, he seemed to struggle and regress.

this is a kid who could use a sports psychologist perhaps. seems fragile and the confidence thing with him is lacking leading to tentative play and simple judgement errors he should not be making.

he needs to sit next to deangelo and have some swag rub off on him. hes like the anti- ADA.

kid needs some cockiness to his game. hes way better than hes showing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad