Player Discussion Brady Skjei

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
IMO, the whining aside.... the biggest issue with him are his reads. He needs to go back to thinking defense first, and only pinch when you have the puck on your stick.

The pinches and shitty gap control... some of which are so bad... I mean Brady... you might be a nice guy... but those are some Pejorative Slur level decisions bud. Do your job, play defense. Don't be a dumb f*** whiner... and you'll be fine. It's not man coverage any more, cover your gaps, so you don't expose your teammates.

I think a good 3-4 game stint in the press box, and some remedial video coaching is what he needs right now.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Brady Skjei was not a minus player last night and didn’t make any bad reads. PROGRESS!

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
all i know is, any talk about trading brady is premature imo. he obviously is going through a rough patch, but that is only because he got a real good taste of being a hero, and along with his contract is trying to do too much. i know that has already been said.....but believe it to be true. hes a good kid, and is trying, just maybe too much. our whole defensive corps kind of sucks defensively and our forwards arent exactly helping matters any. it will eventually get corrected. just lets not single out brady.

Reactions: bl02

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
K'Andre Miller has more than half of Skjei's entire college career offensive output already.... IDK where skjei got the fantasy of being offensive, but its gotta stop. Skating does NOT mean offense.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
K'Andre Miller has more than half of Skjei's entire college career offensive output already.... IDK where skjei got the fantasy of being offensive, but its gotta stop. Skating does NOT mean offense.

It is tradition to hype up every smooth skating defenseman as the our next Leetch. McDonagh, Skjei, Del Zotto, Gilroy for five minutes, Staal. Zidlicky might have been the closest, but Mike Richter's cranium put an end to those dreams.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
It is tradition to hype up every smooth skating defenseman as the our next Leetch. McDonagh, Skjei, Del Zotto, Gilroy for five minutes, Staal.
It didn't help that he put up 39 points as a rookie, but yeah he's just not that talented. Anyone who thought he was anything like Leetch was mistaken.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Seems as though Quinn's emphasis on dmen joining the rush/play has gone to Brady's head.

Needs to harness that a bit.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i continue to believe if brady just plays defense and doesn't try to be offensive, his game will simplify and that will translate into a safer, more boring style and that will be exactly what he needs to become the steady 2nd pair upside guy we all thought he would become.

this 2 way dman thing never was a thing before ?

let ADA and pionk and shatty (sometimes) carry the mail and take the chances up ice.

hes still a core guy being asked to do too much and more importantly, he needs to stop asking himself to do more than hes capable of.

hes making some absolutely brutal misreads and looking quite atrocious.

its up to quinn to coach him and get him back to his baseline.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
He's been good and bad in his NHL career. He's bad recently. He's a relatively young player in a new system. He may and probably will be good again at some point, he has good coaches behind him who will hopefully give him the right advice.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

IMO Brady's upside is, was, and will be that of a Bret Hedican, with 10-15 extra points. Hedican played on 3 cup runs. He was one of the best skaters in the league when he played, and was a very valuable defenseman. Not a lot of offense, but the dude played a solid reliable game for a very long time.

Reactions: haveandare

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
all i know is, any talk about trading brady is premature imo. he obviously is going through a rough patch, but that is only because he got a real good taste of being a hero, and along with his contract is trying to do too much. i know that has already been said.....but believe it to be true. hes a good kid, and is trying, just maybe too much. our whole defensive corps kind of sucks defensively and our forwards arent exactly helping matters any. it will eventually get corrected. just lets not single out brady.
A rough patch of two years

Reactions: jas

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
IMO Brady's upside is, was, and will be that of a Bret Hedican, with 10-15 extra points. Hedican played on 3 cup runs. He was one of the best skaters in the league when he played, and was a very valuable defenseman. Not a lot of offense, but the dude played a solid reliable game for a very long time.
Problem is that Skjei's explosiveness hasn't been there this season. I'm probably easier on him than most, and I don't think this season has been the horror show many do, but I am bothered how he's not utilizing his best asset. It could be a mix of being in a mental rut and an undisclosed LBI. I hope the kid can get it together soon because we need him to be an anchor for our left side in these upcoming five years.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
what :laugh: he sucks

Zibby not a #1C either... guess I should've known better. Pfft

No doubt he's been a bit disappointing for the last two years, but this is a bit harsh, IMO.

Hoping for better things this year. He had one or two whiffs last game, but also a couple of stellar plays. Hoping it's the start of a more positive trend.

He's proving everyone wrong. Guy is a beast.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
His issue is he doesn't k.i.s.s.

When he does, he's terrific.

When he tries to be ek65...he's garbage.

and he doesn't k.i.s.s.a.s.s. keep it simple, stupid and slap shoot.

But really he needs to be traded sooner or later to make room for rookies and to shed a chunky cap hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->