Confirmed with Link: Brady Skjei for 2020 1st Round Draft Pick

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Why did Don Waddell get a mobile Left Shot D-Man who will slot in as a Top 4?
Perhaps, the main reasons is that Joel Edmundson's play has dropped off significantly.
Interesting Article:
Carolina Hurricanes: Move Edmundson out of the Top Four

by Conor Power1 month ago
Joel Edmundson has quickly become a fan favorite in Raleigh after he was acquired in a trade with St Louis, but here’s why he needs to be moved to the bottom pair for the Hurricanes.Joel Edmundson has become loved by Caniac nation. He’s made some great defensive plays while partnered alongside Brett Pesce. So why is it time to move the big Brandon, Manitoba native out of the top 4 for the Carolina Hurricanes?Well, let’s start with how he’s played this season. Steady Eddy three goals and six assists this season and is a +9. From those stats you’d suggest he’s been fine for a stay-at-home defender. However, the analytics suggest something else entirely. Before I dive into those, Edmundson has not been playing well over the past few games. He’s looked overwhelmed, and these numbers prove it.Edmundson has an expected goal per 60 mins played for of -0.55, an expected goals against per 60 minutes played of 0.202. This means there are more goals being scored on Edmundson than Edmundson is scoring. His Corsi For per 60 minutes played is -0.18 and a Corsi against per 60 minutes played of 1.48. More shot attempts are being taken against Edmundson than Edmundson is taking.These stats are not horrific. but they are predominantly stats for a 3rd pairing D man. This isn’t a big deal on most teams, except there is a simple solution and it’s sitting on the 3rd pairing right now. Jake Gardiner is the answer. Many of you still want to fire Jake into the sun, and I understand that, but he was signed as a top 4 D man and a solution to trading Faulk. Plus, he’s an analytical darling.

Reactions: Stickpucker

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
IF mrazek truly is only going to be out a week or so I guess I can understand not wanting to muddy the goalie water but that's a big if. And while he has played better lately it's not as if hes the clear number one rock to lean on... we were looking at upgrading that position when he and reimer were healthy

Reactions: DaveG

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
Same to you though. If this was a position of need, then the risk was worth it. It isn’t a position of need so it isn’t worth the risk.
Looking at the organizational depth at LD

Slavin
Skjei
Gardiner
Fleury
Edmondson
Bean

Put Slavin in as a lock for the #1
Edmondson will be gone next year

that leaves the following for the 2nd and 3rd pair

Skjei
Gardiner
Fleury
Bean

Out of these guys I see Skjei as having the inside track at the 2nd pair - maybe Fleury plays lights out down the stretch and he takes it, but knowing Rod and the org he would have to take it.

I also think that Gardiner is likely to be moved this offseason - probably maybe for a similarly struggling forward. And I think that Bean is an ED sweetener for Francis (this last paragraph being all speculation)

Reactions: zman77

zman77

Oct 1, 2015

Slavin
Skjei
Gardiner
Fleury
Edmondson
Bean

Skjei
Gardiner
Fleury
Bean

Out of these guys I see Skjei as having the inside track at the 2nd pair - maybe Fleury plays lights out down the stretch and he takes it, but knowing Rod and the org he would have to take it.

I also think that Gardiner is likely to be moved this offseason - probably maybe for a similarly struggling forward. And I think that Bean is an ED sweetener for Francis (this last paragraph being all speculation)

Can the 'Canes protect Jake Bean from Seattle?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

Slavin
Skjei
Gardiner
Fleury
Edmondson
Bean

Skjei
Gardiner
Fleury
Bean

Our LHD depth goes deeper than that. Its a moot point though.

Acquiring Skjei does allow us to move Gardiner but it will cost us and adding in that we have too many LHDs gives us less leverage. Waddell has turned less into more in the past (Darling for Reimer) so, I am not going to really worry about a Gardiner move. There will be a few players "on the expansion draft block" to me Bean, Fleury, Nino, or Gardiner, if he stays. We'll see how that goes.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Ranger fan coming in peace.

I think in a few games, you guys will like Skjei a lot more. Lindy Ruff and his defensive "system" need to be fired into the sun, and it'll take time for Skjei to unlearn that stuff. I'm neutral on the trade (I think we should've traded Kreider away instead), but a 1st is a 1st.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go back to praying for the .00001% chance that the Rangers win the Cup, Leafs fall into the Top 10, and Canes win the lottery. Cheerio

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
Our LHD depth goes deeper than that. Its a moot point though.
It really doesn’t though.
We have:
Forsling
Sellgren
Fensore
Webber
Rasanen

Forsling could be called up in an emergency situation I guess and maybe Sellgren demands a spot in camp, but realistically none of these guys are cracking the NHL next year

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think while we are in this generally “going for it” stage”, only a really high end dman is making it from Charlotte - other than injury replacements of course. Bean is good but he’s questionable in his own end, the team has shown they intend to go vet defensively. To be fair if you’re going for the cup this isn’t a bad plan.

I really don’t like the idea of trading Bean, but it seems unless more injuries stack up or we go on a big losing streak to take ourselves out we won’t see him this year. Next year if healthy wouldn’t surprise me if there’s no openings. Unfair for him to rot forever.

Like Kooks and Goat I would’ve liked to at least seen them for a few stretches not related to staying in camp for a few more days. Guys develop and improve as the season goes on. We’ll see but it wouldn’t surprise me if the Bean era never happens.

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
Ranger fan coming in peace.

I think in a few games, you guys will like Skjei a lot more. Lindy Ruff and his defensive "system" need to be fired into the sun, and it'll take time for Skjei to unlearn that stuff. I'm neutral on the trade (I think we should've traded Kreider away instead), but a 1st is a 1st.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go back to praying for the .00001% chance that the Rangers win the Cup, Leafs fall into the Top 10, and Canes win the lottery. Cheerio

He actually played pretty well last night, barring a couple brain farts. He seems pretty solid and I can't wait to see him get a bit more comfortable.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
He's kinda like the Foegele of defenseman, nothing he does ever looks pretty but you can see the raw components and on the whole you take the positives with the negatives.

If that was worth a 1st round pick and his remaining contract...that's a different discussion, but he can have success here especially once the others are healthy.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Why did Don Waddell get a mobile Left Shot D-Man who will slot in as a Top 4?
Perhaps, the main reasons is that Joel Edmundson's play has dropped off significantly.
Interesting Article:

by Conor Power1 month ago
Joel Edmundson has quickly become a fan favorite in Raleigh after he was acquired in a trade with St Louis, but here’s why he needs to be moved to the bottom pair for the Hurricanes.Joel Edmundson has become loved by Caniac nation. He’s made some great defensive plays while partnered alongside Brett Pesce. So why is it time to move the big Brandon, Manitoba native out of the top 4 for the Carolina Hurricanes?Well, let’s start with how he’s played this season. Steady Eddy three goals and six assists this season and is a +9. From those stats you’d suggest he’s been fine for a stay-at-home defender. However, the analytics suggest something else entirely. Before I dive into those, Edmundson has not been playing well over the past few games. He’s looked overwhelmed, and these numbers prove it.Edmundson has an expected goal per 60 mins played for of -0.55, an expected goals against per 60 minutes played of 0.202. This means there are more goals being scored on Edmundson than Edmundson is scoring. His Corsi For per 60 minutes played is -0.18 and a Corsi against per 60 minutes played of 1.48. More shot attempts are being taken against Edmundson than Edmundson is taking.These stats are not horrific. but they are predominantly stats for a 3rd pairing D man. This isn’t a big deal on most teams, except there is a simple solution and it’s sitting on the 3rd pairing right now. Jake Gardiner is the answer. Many of you still want to fire Jake into the sun, and I understand that, but he was signed as a top 4 D man and a solution to trading Faulk. Plus, he’s an analytical darling.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
He seemed to crack under the pressure of playing in NYC with that big contract. He had a great first year with us. I really do not know of any other reason why his play took a few big steps back. Maybe a change of scenery is what he needs. Maybe he'll be fine when not on the first pairing. We'll see.

In today's league that doesn't seem like a big contract?

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
and this draft year is supposedly the best in ages.
I have read different opinions on this draft. Some think the top 10-12 are really strong. One or two draft gurus like the depth. But quite a few (Hockey Prospect's Mark Edwards is quite adamant) say this is a below average draft.

My take is that it is like 2017. Strong through the top dozen or so then hit or miss.

Reactions: DaveG

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
this board is loosing their f***ing minds over something that is simply not going to happen.

You're new here?

You still don't see why we traded Gauthier?

Aho's not going anywhere. Staal's contract is immovable. Necas is our future 2nd line C. And we just got Vinny for two more years.

We moved Gauthier because he had no future here anymore.

I've been thinking about Gauthier, and I think I have something. He's got the skill set of a top-6 player, but he simply does not use his teammates. Putting him with Aho/Teravainen or Trocheck/Svech is an absolute waste of two quality linemates. You've got two guys trying to make plays and one guy doing his own thing. So you *have* to play him in the bottom six at the NHL level and his skill set just doesn't match with what you're trying to do on those lines.

Also, regarding Skjei, I think we put him in position to fail. As far as I can tell, he's been playing LD with Trouba all year to this point. So we bring him in and without so much as a practice, he's a RD. Along with typical nerves and new-team anxiety, it's not surprising he couldn't handle the first pass along the boards facing the wrong direction.

IMO, if two guys were going to play out of position on the right side, it should have been our guys (Slavin as well as Edmundson) and we shouldn't have piled all that on Skjei's plate.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
it's not surprising he couldn't handle the first pass along the boards facing the wrong direction.
I guess? What's so hard about receiving a pass on your forehand, though? Kind of a basic skill.

We can leave it at "the puck jumped his stick" without assigning blame to not being used to playing RD.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I guess? What's so hard about receiving a pass on your forehand, though? Kind of a basic skill.

We can leave it at "the puck jumped his stick" without assigning blame to not being used to playing RD.

Kinda missed my point, but I suspect you did it on purpose.

My point was that the guy had been through a whirlwind 24 hours, and then played for a new team without benefit of a single practice. The least we could have done is kept him in his position, and not make it even more difficult for him. Instead, we played him out of position in his first game with a new team without practicing. Does that sound smart to you? I'd have rather had Slavin out of position, then the entire play doesn't happen. Not making excuses for Skjei, but placing a bunch of the blame on Brindy for a poor lineup decision.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

It’s always understated how tough it is to play your wrong side unless you do it all the time. Slavin doesn’t look like Slavin when he plays the right side. Body positioning and reading the bounce is actually different from one side to the other and with NHL forechecking there’s little room for error in terms of puck collection and quickly transitioning to a pass. Especially when your forehand puts you in the middle of the ice on the wrong side. Some guys find it no big deal, but that’s not based on how great a dman you are. Plenty of high end guys look bad on their wrong side.

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
The puck came along the ice to his forehand and he missed it. That has absolutely nothing to do with handedness in conjunction to playing the offside. It was simply a miss. Attributing it to playing out of position, even if only a low-key excuse, is still laughable. If it were coming to his backhand, then I'm not debating this, but it came to his forehand. C'mon.

Again, just leave it at "it jumped his stick". No reason to dig deep in your pockets for explanations.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Kinda missed my point, but I suspect you did it on purpose.

My point was that the guy had been through a whirlwind 24 hours, and then played for a new team without benefit of a single practice.

In re-watching that goal, I think some of the responsibility was on Slavin. He goes to the board to give Aho an option, but as soon as Aho passes toward Skjei, Slavin takes off to join the rush. Given all the points made above about Skjei plus having a rookie goalie, the smart play would have been to make sure Seguin wasn't alone in case of a turnover.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad