Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I don't ĺike losing Lagesson for no reason.

Otherwise the moves are fine. He's supporting the current roster without parting with a significant piece. He's right, if we're going to win it'll be from the existing team.

We're not going to win anything with this core so going halfway makes sense

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I don't actually believe that. One thing I like about Treliving is his you gotta keep knocking at the door and eventually you'll break it down mentality. Winning is hard. Really hard. And with the current format, it's even harder because the division is so tough (not an excuse, just the truth).

What I find super interesting is that people seem to think Treliving is doing something very different or is hindered by what happened before him. He's re-signed Keefe, Matthews, and Nylander (he's likely to do the and with Marner). He's found depth pieces on both the cheap and flyers the same way we've been doing for years now. Even Reaves, he's certainly the most fighter type guy we've had in a while, but it's not the first time in the last five years we've added that hard nosed, gonna make us tough to play against, character guy.

The process is so similar, it's obvious Shanahan has a vision and Treliving shares it.
Winning everything is hard I agree but with this core and what they are being paid we should have more than 1 round win in the last 7 years of them. I doubt they are going to wake up one day and go from zero to winning it all. It’s usually a process and we have not moved the needle one bit in the last 7 years

Any habits this team has will change with the surrounding players and a coaching change the young kids have way more of an edge then the core really would love to see Matthews get nasty that's the one thing above many that's really missing
That will take a major shift in management for that to happen

Reactions: arso40

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
not thrilled with the moves he made. I would have much rather done nothing and kept our limited picks.
we have no chance against some of these teams. no chance at all.

last year was our best chance and we blew it. we need to recoup some assets and give it a shot in a few years.

next year is done for, the stars took pretty much all the available cap.

the sad part is, we;re likely never going to win the cup or come close with this core, for sure need a couple or few years to get back to a real contender and then after that just as we start to save a little on the % Matthews caphit, he will be expiring. and our core will be slowly starting to age.

just feels like no matter what we do. we're in for a long while of meh

Why are you even watching the games if you feel they have "no chance at all?"

Reactions: authentic

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
not thrilled with the moves he made. I would have much rather done nothing and kept our limited picks.

last year was our best chance and we blew it. we need to recoup some assets and give it a shot in a few years.

the sad part is, we;re likely never going to win the cup or come close with this core, for sure need a couple or few years to get back to a real contender and then after that just as we start to save a little on the % Matthews caphit, he will be expiring. and our core will be slowly starting to age.

It’s brutal huh, you might as well stop paying attention to the leafs for the next 5-10 years

I don't ĺike losing Lagesson for no reason.

Otherwise the moves are fine. He's supporting the current roster without parting with a significant piece. He's right, if we're going to win it'll be from the existing team.

We're not going to win anything with this core so going halfway makes sense
I agree. Feels like we should have got at least a late pick here, but really, does that matter all that much?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Seeing as Dubas was actually negotiating with both Accari AND Schenn when he left and the Leafs simply stoped talking to both of them and let them go to FA, yes. Yes I do believe they would have gotten them resigned, or at least come closer than "f*** it, they're gone".

It doesn't fit your obvious agenda, but Brad Trevling was discussing a contract with Schenn.

Why don't you show me how I'm wrong so I can school you on the replies

You can start by explaining how the Leafs "chipped away at crease issues."

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Paraphrasing, but Treliving rightfully said the Leaf chances to win lie with the core pieces that are already here and we go as far as they take us.

We saw in the Boston game that the middle to bottom of the roster was already willing to do the dirty work, compete, be physical, sacrifice, stand up for one another. These are low bar items you can get out of anybody in the game and most teams have them.

Where is the star power kicking in to break down Swayman, outshine Pastrnak, McAvoy, beat up on Marchand? You can't go out and find a guys to do the job of Matthews, Nylander and Marner. If they can't be serious when it matters they won't be able to lead a team to a championship.

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
I don't mind what he did, I know he wanted to try to make other moves but it just didn't happen hence why he retained salaries. I just wish he would of maybe packaged some of the later picks to try to move up by trading the 5th-6th-7th round picks to try to get some 3rd-4th-5th round picks.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I don't mind what he did, I know he wanted to try to make other moves but it just didn't happen hence why he retained salaries. I just wish he would of maybe packaged some of the later picks to try to move up by trading the 5th-6th-7th round picks to try to get some 3rd-4th-5th round picks.
That's a draft day transaction not at the deadline.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Leafs will be laughing when their rivals have no picks or asset to trade in the next few years and JT's 11 mil gets slashed in half on his retirement contract.

Even with no big name this year we are contenders

We chipped away at crease and grit issues. Team is good
say what now?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

Have to echo these sentiments.

You look at the Nyladner & Matthews deals in isolation, and there's nothing neccessarily wrong with them in isolation, but then looking at the context of the team, we're basically in an impossible position cap-wise now and next year.

There's also the challenge of Toronto's D; which is in desparate need of a marquee, long term addition or two.

That kind of player isn't going to become available to you if you're hoarding your 1st rounders, Cowan, Knies, and Nylander. He probably could have gotten the marquee addition we needed had he traded Nylander in the offseason, but that ship has seemingly sailed.

You look going forward, and I struggle to see where that addition is going to come from. The Leafs do have the cap flexibility to bring in a $5-8m defenceman this year; but where are they going to find one???

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
Winning everything is hard I agree but with this core and what they are being paid we should have more than 1 round win in the last 7 years of them. I doubt they are going to wake up one day and go from zero to winning it all. It’s usually a process and we have not moved the needle one bit in the last 7 years
They say that about everyone until they do. Ovechkin was another guy who was just never the guy who could win... and ya.

Everyone who leaves, all those character guys, laugh at the idea the guys don't have it or the room is bad or any of that bad character stuff when they are asked. It's all made up by media and fans because we haven't won.

End of the day though, Treliving appears very much to believe in the core and I believe the original post was that he doesn't and he's gonna blow it up. Nothing he's done suggests that at all.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com

Why are you even watching the games if you feel they have "no chance at all?"
I dunno why did I watch all the way through the shit storm that JFJ left us in? I guess because I'm a fan but that doesnt mean I cant look at this team realistically

It’s brutal huh, you might as well stop paying attention to the leafs for the next 5-10 years

I agree. Feels like we should have got at least a late pick here, but really, does that matter all that much?
your acting like times havent been worse than they are now lmao

Paraphrasing, but Treliving rightfully said the Leaf chances to win lie with the core pieces that are already here and we go as far as they take us.

We saw in the Boston game that the middle to bottom of the roster was already willing to do the dirty work, compete, be physical, sacrifice, stand up for one another. These are low bar items you can get out of anybody in the game and most teams have them.

Where is the star power kicking in to break down Swayman, outshine Pastrnak, McAvoy, beat up on Marchand? You can't go out and find a guys to do the job of Matthews, Nylander and Marner. If they can't be serious when it matters they won't be able to lead a team to a championship.
yet to really show up beyond a handful of games. who knows maybe our 8th or 9th try will be the one

Have to echo these sentiments.

You look at the Nyladner & Matthews deals in isolation, and there's nothing neccessarily wrong with them in isolation, but then looking at the context of the team, we're basically in an impossible position cap-wise now and next year.

There's also the challenge of Toronto's D; which is in desparate need of a marquee, long term addition or two.

That kind of player isn't going to become available to you if you're hoarding your 1st rounders, Cowan, Knies, and Nylander. He probably could have gotten the marquee addition we needed had he traded Nylander in the offseason, but that ship has seemingly sailed.

You look going forward, and I struggle to see where that addition is going to come from. The Leafs do have the cap flexibility to bring in a $5-8m defenceman this year; but where are they going to find one???
they arent going to find one, going to take atleast bare win 1 more year till Marner and Tavares are off the books. who knows maybe we get lucky but next year already feels like a major shit show

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
they arent going to find one, going to take atleast bare win 1 more year till Marner and Tavares are off the books. who knows maybe we get lucky but next year already feels like a major shit show

While having Marner & Tavares off the books has the potential to be our "saving grace", I think the Leafs need to be very proactive leading up to that.

Just because they'll have a bunch of money to spend on UFAs defencemen, doesn't mean there's going to be high quality options available. Noah Hanifin could have been a really solid fit as a Brodie replacement; and I think going into next year with a left side of Rielly, Hanifin and McCabe is something that one could really have been excited about.

What happened? he got snatched up and signed by Vegas as a Martinez replacement.

You look at the remaining list of UFA defencemen this summer.... and realistically, there's not a ton of names that we can say "this is a guy that we want as part of our core"....

Brett Pesce would be a nice addition, but likely to come with a contract we'll shortly regret, and apparently doesn't want to play in Canada.

Matt Roy is more of a guy that should "round out" your top 4.

Zadorov I can see with the Leafs next year, but he's not a core piece.

They're going to have to build this D through trade, and they don't exactly have a ton of pieces that they're seemingly willing to move.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Can't say this team looks like it did under Dubas anyways, he's clearly changed the identity. See if it comes together.

Has he?

Lyubushkin is basically this year's Luke Schenn, which was last year's Ilya Lyubushkin

You go out and get Connor Dewar; similar to how dubas got Noel Acciari & Sam Lafferty last year, and Colin Blackwell the year prior IIRC.

They never really replaced Justin Holl, or I guess, did for however long John Klingberg was in the lineup... so Edmunson is basically his replacement.

Up front, you look at the "identity"... this team still goes only as far as Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares take them; except now Tavares can't really be expected to contribute as part of that group.

Drop Hyman for Bunting, Bunting for Bertuzzi; and you're basically still in the same spot there.

Drop Kerfoot for Domi, and you've basically traded defensive value for fiestiness.

Unless Bertuzzi & Domi are going to be standout players on their own, generating opportunities in the playoffs as they have in years past, this is a very similar team to the one that has failed year after year after year.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Has he?

Lyubushkin is basically this year's Luke Schenn, which was last year's Ilya Lyubushkin

You go out and get Connor Dewar; similar to how dubas got Noel Acciari & Sam Lafferty last year, and Colin Blackwell the year prior IIRC.

They never really replaced Justin Holl, or I guess, did for however long John Klingberg was in the lineup... so Edmunson is basically his replacement.

Up front, you look at the "identity"... this team still goes only as far as Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares take them; except now Tavares can't really be expected to contribute as part of that group.

Drop Hyman for Bunting, Bunting for Bertuzzi; and you're basically still in the same spot there.

Drop Kerfoot for Domi, and you've basically traded defensive value for fiestiness.

Unless Bertuzzi & Domi are going to be standout players on their own, generating opportunities in the playoffs as they have in years past, this is a very similar team to the one that has failed year after year after year.

If you can’t see the identity of this year’s Leafs team is totally different than in the past half decade, you either haven’t watched the games or have no understanding of what you’re watching. This isn’t fantasy hockey or an NHL’24 video game, my friend.

Justin Holl was a God-awful hockey player. Getting rid of someone that useless was addition by subtraction. He’s been a healthy scratch for the past six weeks on a mediocre Detroit team. Absolute garbage.

There’s also ZERO comparison between Dewar and no-talent scrubs like Accari, Sam LaughAtMe, Pete Engvall and Blackwell. Dewar is aggressive and a tenacious forechecker. The stuff that Kyle Dumbass constantly brought in were softer than wet toilet paper.

Bert and Domi are way more aggressive and combative than the figure skaters that Dumbass insisted on bringing in.

And during the Dumbass era, the Leafs had NOTHING comparable to the attitude, swag and intimidation that Reaves provides.

Completely different team atmosphere with Treliving. I feel badly that you’re not able to
see that.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Has he?

While Treliving certainly hasn't been perfect with his additions here, the playoff stats do seem to indicate that Edmundson, Bertuzzi and Domi in particular should be upgrades over Holl, Bunting and Kerfoot.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Leafs will be laughing when their rivals have no picks or asset to trade in the next few years and JT's 11 mil gets slashed in half on his retirement contract.

Even with no big name this year we are contenders

We chipped away at crease and grit issues. Team is good
If Tavares gets a new contract at $5.5 for even one year, it will be the other teams laughing at the Leafs.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
If Tavares gets a new contract at $5.5 for even one year, it will be the other teams laughing at the Leafs.
The Leafs are in good shape moving forward is all I meant. We are going to be drafting building a cupboard and only trading if its term it seem like. I didn't mean exact slash in half it was a figure of speech. His cap hit will be drastic lower than now. How much space do you think we need? This is a top team in the league we don't need 10+ mil cap of fixing. This place is very low iq (not you, just overall themes) no offence. Maybe the complaint is that our contender rating is lower than what the contender rating should be today, but we are still contender and will remain contender for several years forward with a very positive outlook. The Leafs are okay they're not dying out like everyone make it seem to be

Last edited:
Reactions: 4thline and Havoc

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
Still not sure what to make of Treliving.

Didn't think he had a particularly good off season with his signings and re-signings, and not much improvement on the trade deadline.

In saying that, I think Dubas left him with a bit of a mess, and it's not like I honestly thought it would be fixed within one season.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
A+

Leafs GM for the first time in past 6 years kept and protected the Leafs own 1st round pick.

BT understands that when you have a team full of $11 mil players that your high-end draft picks with successful drafting and developing are essential to offsetting those cost with cost controllable players on ELC deals making less than $1 mil X 3 years in a salary cap world. For every $11 mil player or more to be able to offset with a $925k highly skilled highly contributing 1st round pick cuts those cuts in 1/2 essentially for 2 players when viewed in a cap world.

Leafs more than any other team because of their core 4 contracts should be protecting their high draft picks like gold.

Taking over from the damage inflicted by Treliving's predecessor and his former scorched earth draft pick abuse to fuel his first round failures annually is a pleasant change to see now that we have a REAL GM in the seat.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Looks like Steve Simmons is still hating on the Leafs:

"I have a list of nine teams that can win the Stanley Cup. The number goes to 10 if you include the Winnipeg Jets.

In my order, the Stanley Cup will be won by one of the Florida Panthers, Colorado Avalanche, Carolina Hurricanes;, Dallas Stars,; Vancouver Canucks, Vegas, Edmonton Oilers, Boston Bruins and New York Rangers. Then Winnipeg. Then Tampa Bay. That’s 11. That puts the Leafs at No. 12 among Stanley Cup contenders.

And the reason I rank Tampa ahead of Toronto, despite the standings: They still have Andrei Vasilevskiy in goal, Victor Hedman on defence, big gamer Nikita Kucherov up front and Jon Cooper coaching. By comparison, the Leafs have I don’t know in goal, Morgan Rielly as their best defenceman, Auston Matthews up front (most playoff goals in a season, five) and Sheldon Keefe coaching."

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The Leafs are in good shape moving forward is all I meant. We are going to be drafting building a cupboard and only trading if its term it seem like. I didn't mean exact slash in half it was a figure of speech. His cap hit will be drastic lower than now. How much space do you think we need? This is a top team in the league we don't need 10+ mil cap of fixing. This place is very low iq (not you, just overall themes) no offence. Maybe the complaint is that our contender rating is lower than what the contender rating should be today, but we are still contender and will remain contender for several years forward with a very positive outlook. The Leafs are okay they're not dying out like everyone make it seem to be
That's a very optimistic view. We don't have a lot of draft picks and I wouldn't say we're a "top team", especially in the playoffs.

As for JT, if we sign him after next year, it had better be for no more than $1.5. Better all round if the sign him as a faceoff coach instead of as a player.

His leadership is worth 5.5 :cool:
Good - let him do it from behind the bench.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Looks like Brad is going to, at the very least, equal the greatest GM we have had in Kyle, in their 1st season's results. He may still yet beat it.

Exciting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad