Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He's got to get Matthews signed we all know that but at this point there is not a single thing he's done that we can be heavily critical of.

Bertuzzi and Domi were great signings that give the Leafs a fantastic top 6 instead of a top 4 with 2 guys you hope work out.

Klingberg filled the need for a secondary puck mover.

Reaves is probably signed for a year to long but this team NEEDED a player like him.

Gambell and Jones are both players we know can provide NHL minutes when injury happens.

You got a former NHL assistant coach as your AHL Head Coach.

And a former NHL Head coach as one of your NHL assistant coach with the other assistant being a cup winning assistant coach.

When the worst thing I can say is that Ryan Reaves should have been given a 2 year contract instead of 3 I think that's pretty good.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
He's got to get Matthews signed we all know that but at this point there is not a single thing he's done that we can be heavily critical of.

Bertuzzi and Domi were great signings that give the Leafs a fantastic top 6 instead of a top 4 with 2 guys you hope work out.

Klingberg filled the need for a secondary puck mover.

Reaves is probably signed for a year to long but this team NEEDED a player like him.

Gambell and Jones are both players we know can provide NHL minutes when injury happens.

You got a former NHL assistant coach as your AHL Head Coach.

And a former NHL Head coach as one of your NHL assistant coach with the other assistant being a cup winning assistant coach.

When the worst thing I can say is that Ryan Reaves should have been given a 2 year contract instead of 3 I think that's pretty good.

The length of term on Reaves contract is probably an asset and not a liability. It's too long and for too much but only by a couple hundred thousand.

We can bury this contract in future years no problem and he will end up like Simmonds. As the cap goes up so too does the amount that can be buried with no penalty. However, the three year term means that we can probably waive him if we have to and no one will take him...like we did with Simmonds.

I think BT is doing a good job also.

For sure we win the trophy for best paper performance in July and August.
Well, he has only been on the job for two months and that's pretty much all we can assess, no?

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Hope the Leafs get the 70 games per season version of Bert rather than the 50 games/season Detroit got a lot of.

If Bert manages to stay healthy for 70 games, you can expect 50-60 points from him.
If he only manages to stay healthy for 50 games, you can expect 30-40 points from him.
So he may not be the lock on the 1st line that everyone here seems to be hoping for. That is going to greatly depend on his health.

I'm sure his health is a big concern for himself too.

After signing a 1 yr deal with the Leafs, this is a big contract year for him. I'm sure he's really hoping that he can stay healthy this season so that he can put up big numbers and sign a big new FA contract after the season. If he gets injured this season, it could seriously cost him in the pocketbook. Is this going to cause him to play timid, go to the dirty areas less, or play with less of an edge than he did in the past?

I have a feeling Bert is also going to try to play more of a skill game and be less physical pest than in the past in the hopes of staying healthy. so he may not bring the physical edge that everyone in Leaf Land is expecting or used to seeing from him. time will tell.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Well, he has only been on the job for two months and that's pretty much all we can assess, no?
Guess I'm just not as down on them as you are.

I've said this many times. Don't get too excited by a few wins, or a few losses. It's a long season, and then it's really the playoff results that matter the most.

We made a few signings, that's it. We haven't played a game yet.

He's doing a good job is he? By what measurement?

This is a results business, and he'll be judged on his results, like everyone else. I think some of the signings were ok, some have big question marks. Neither of Matthews or Nylander is signed yet. I think the team lost physicality, not gained, so I think we are currently easier to play against... but then, there is often 25% roster turnover before the start of the playoffs anyway.

I'll be happy to say he did a good job, once we see something besides names on paper.... But this is premature.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
He’s doing fine. The best thing is to be as patient as possible this season and next. That’s ample assessment time and an anchor contract comes off the books.
Oh and hang onto our picks as well.

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I've said this many times. Don't get too excited by a few wins, or a few losses. It's a long season, and then it's really the playoff results that matter the most.

We made a few signings, that's it. We haven't played a game yet.

He's doing a good job is he? By what measurement?

This is a results business, and he'll be judged on his results, like everyone else. I think some of the signings were ok, some have big question marks. Neither of Matthews or Nylander is signed yet. I think the team lost physicality, not gained, so I think we are currently easier to play against... but then, there is often 25% roster turnover before the start of the playoffs anyway.

I'll be happy to say he did a good job, once we see something besides names on paper.... But this is premature.
By your logic, no one can be assessed in their front office performance in the off-season. Makes for a boring discussion board in the off-season.

We all like to project and predict. Some feel that his moves project to good results. This is why is being discussed. Those that agree or disagree make for good discussion, those that feel it should not be discussed should probably just skip the thread altogether.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
By your logic, no one can be assessed in their front office performance in the off-season. Makes for a boring discussion board in the off-season.

We all like to project and predict. Some feel that his moves project to good results. This is why is being discussed. Those that agree or disagree make for good discussion, those that feel it should not be discussed should probably just skip the thread altogether.

I get that, but it's not like we can look at this roster and say... wow, it's really been remade. There aren't significant changes. The key two contracts aren't done yet.

What's been done? Domi, Reaves, Bertuzzi, Klingberg and Jones.

Jones is a 3G, and decent enough... he's basically the best of what's left in August.
Reaves I don't consider a win.
Domi is a question mark for me.
Bertuzzi is a question mark from a health perspective.
Klingberg has been a question mark, as he's been terrible defensively.

We lost physicality, when we weren't physical enough already.

Mostly, I think it's premature. The changes he's made... all have some questions... so I can't declare this a great, or even good offseason. It's just kind of there.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
I get that, but it's not like we can look at this roster and say... wow, it's really been remade. There aren't significant changes. The key two contracts aren't done yet.

Jones is a 3G, and decent enough... he's basically the best of what's left in August.

Mostly, I think it's premature. The changes he's made... all have some questions... so I can't declare this a great, or even good offseason. It's just kind of there.
What physicality have we lost
Bunting wasn’t physical bertuzzi is way more physical
Kerfoot wasn’t physical domi is way more physical
Holl wasn’t physical we still need a physical dman
Simmons and reaves are a wash
Schenn and acarari were with us for only a couple of months so they don’t count as we can upgrade again at the deadline
So for sure we are more physical

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
This must the antithesis to the "serious concern" and "unexcited" threads.

I am cautiously optimistic. Looking forward to the conclusion of the Matthews/Nylander contract saga and the resolution of the lack of cap space

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Jesus the standards here keep sinking lower and lower. It’s getting absolutely pathetic.

How about we wait and see how he handles Matthews and Nylander first, you know a major move of impact, not a bunch of one year flyers before making these types of threads?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
What physicality have we lost
Bunting wasn’t physical bertuzzi is way more physical
Kerfoot wasn’t physical domi is way more physical
Holl wasn’t physical we still need a physical dman
Simmons and reaves are a wash
Schenn and acarari were with us for only a couple of months so they don’t count as we can upgrade again at the deadline
So for sure we are more physical

Domi is physical? In what way? He'll fight once or twice a year, and does rat things? He doesn't hit, that much is for sure.

Sorry, I'd include Schenn and Aciarri as Leafs last year, even if it was just a few months. I personally thought that extending them was critical. That wasn't done.

Holl wasn't very physical, Klingberg is less so.

Bunting was pesty... engaged after the whistle... Bertuzzi does too. Bertuzzi had one fight last year. Hit's far less than Bunting.

More physical... no, I just don't see it.

Bunting + Holl + Kerfoot 301 hits last year.
Domi + Bertuzzi + Klingberg 164 hits last year

Sure, there is more to physicality than hits... Some people are going to be disappointed when they actually see these guys play, if they are expecting some type of power forwards, like a Wilson, Anderson or Crouse.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Domi is physical? In what way? He'll fight once or twice a year, and does rat things? He doesn't hit, that much is for sure.

Sorry, I'd include Schenn and Aciarri as Leafs last year, even if it was just a few months. I personally thought that extending them was critical. That wasn't done.

Holl wasn't very physical, Klingberg is less so.

Bunting was pesty... engaged after the whistle... Bertuzzi does too. Bertuzzi had one fight last year. Hit's far less than Bunting.

More physical... no, I just don't see it.

Bunting + Holl + Kerfoot 301 hits last year.
Domi + Bertuzzi + Klingberg 164 hits last year

Sure, there is more to physicality than hits... Some people are going to be disappointed when they actually see these guys play, if they are expecting some type of power forwards, like a Wilson, Anderson or Crouse.
I’m not saying fighting but physical like kerfoot would never go to the dirty area and fight for space dimi and bertuzzi will. Bunting is really just a rat who isn’t physical but takes cheap shots.
You can’t include Acari and schenn without including who we pick up at this years deadline.
We are way more physical this year and it’s not even close.
I guess we can agree to disagree

We shall see

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
Klingberg for more $$ than Dumba... Interesting idea

Klingberg - fleecy soft
Domi - small rat
Bertuzzi - small rat

Matt Dumba would've been a nice addition, not done. Resigning Schenn was a good idea, not done. Soft

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021

Ok, those are valid opinions and I don't know that I agree with them all. I can agree that it is too early to definitively assess the job BT has done because we need to see the actual results.

However, by this logic no one should have any opinion on a team until they are eliminated and then that opinion would be that they were not good enough.

People like to talk about what they THINK about it it the moves made, it is part of being an off-season arm chair GM.

Reactions: Mckay

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Since I do believe the additions to have the better track record come playoff time in a comparison with the players that have left the organization, I'm inclined to agree with the suggestion that Treliving has thus far brought the goods in his role as GM.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I mean, even though I was happy that we moved off of Dubas, I think it's a stretch to say Treliving is doing a "great" job.

He's essentially replaced our UFA's with players in and around the same tier of player.

My biggest hope is that we play a different style of game under new management, one with more physicality and intensity but just the moves on the surface so far aren't that amazing.

I would rank Bertuzzi as the best player out of depth bunch (Bunting, Kerfoot, Domi) tho, so I think that was a very strong move.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
In some way you could argue that not having signed Matthews right now is...good. Shows that he won't bend and give in easily. Whatever contract Matthews signs, no matter how bad for us, most likely still means Matthews capitulated something (as he should have last time).

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Klingberg for more $$ than Dumba... Interesting idea

Klingberg - fleecy soft
Domi - small rat
Bertuzzi - small rat

Matt Dumba would've been a nice addition, not done. Resigning Schenn was a good idea, not done. Soft
You're confusing Dumba from a few years ago, before injuries, with the guy now. Today, he's a shadow of what he once was...slower, injury prone and can't score anymore to save his life. But what was everyone bitching about last year? "Power play...Rielly...muffin...need boom!" Matt Dumba was NOT the answer to that by a long shot. Klingberg, for all his defensive deficiencies, is almost a lock for 50+ points. Dumba is in the desert because no-one else, including us, wanted him. And Schenn got a 3x more than he's worth because of a month and a half of good play. No way we were paying what he got for a guy who's career at this point is as a 5th or 6th D, no matter what he looked like in May.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad