Brad Richards?

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
Hmmmmmm......

I see us having a few holes to fill and potentially a few big ones at that too.

If we can bring Scuds back that will see us trade away one of our other D (A Mart Ellerby possibly Muzzin though doubtful) and then will WM tell the rest of the world about the rest of his troubles or has he made another step forward that will stick this time.

We could fill any holes that we might have when we deal JB (if but likely) or once our D is settled.

I agree though that whatever we do it won't likely be done through free agency other than what would be expected. Not any big game hunting this year at least and that should be nice.

We might fill our spots from within. I think that Pearson has a spot to lose and that he looked pretty good during his short play.

TT is a shoe in if we can find an RW spot to play him (I think 3rd line rw is his next season). Gonna be interesting no matter how it goes.

as in the past i see the most pressing concern at LW and some shuffling of RW's up top, so there is more consistent and balanced scoring. i don't know what happened this season to DB, but imo he took a step back. DL STILL needs to find a true LW with talent to play alongside Kopitar. the way DL and DS have designed this team to play there will always be a call for one of the two wingers to have size and grit.

if DL can find an upgrade for LW alongside Kopitar, then i would like to see DB slot down to the #2 LW. this in turn pushes 13 and 74 down into better roles as well on the #3 and #4 lines. most likely 25 doesn't return. then there is the question of where to play Pearson, but at this point he has to still earn a roster spot.

the question of RW's i pose because of TT's situation. yes playing him on the #3 will give him time to find his game and better learn the defensive responsibilities. yet i think playing up top with Kopitar on the #1 would better serve the team long term. the team HAS to and NEEDS to load up one line that is pure offense, but yet would have Kopitar's great 200ft game. i think playing TT up top better serves the team down the road. i like JW's tenacity, but his streakiness and high tendency to turnover pucks just kills momentum on the #1.

what to do with JW and TT though is a conundrum. TT is likely JW's replacement and only has next season remaining. you are likely correct on your spotting him on the #3 RW spot.

Remember after last postseason when Kreider was deemed untouchable and an instant superstar after all the goals he scored by Rangers fans?
Now they're offering him in deals for Brent Burns.

I would absolutely love Kreider on this team if the Kings could pry him from the Rangers. Tortorella is a moron the way he has been handling him.

The kid has immense talent and would be a perfect top 6 winger with a left handed shot for the Kings to replace Penner at a low cap charge. He's also a center by trade so he could play some center like Carter has. He is built like a Kings forward at 6-3 230 and is blazing fast.

Unfortunately it'd take more than Martinez to get him IMO. Rangers fans would probably be looking for a guy like Voynov in return and there's no way the Kings do that. I'd be willing to deal Muzzin+ for him, personally, as I think it'd be smart to sell high on Muzzin.

it sounds crazy to consider, but the Rags could turn into a trading partner for bernier which could lead to Kreider. both henrik and biron expire after next season. they have a 31 yo #1G and 35 yo #2G on the roster presently. speculation already exists about what Henrik will do after next season. even if he were to re-sign with NYR would Sather go past 2 or 3 years on a contract?

perhaps a package of JB + Muzzin/AMart/ could land Kreider. hell DL could look to pitch in someone like King or Nolan as well, seeing as how it is likely both of them will be looking to be pushed off the LA roster by MAN kids in the next 2-3 years

I Am Ziggy Palffy

Sep 9, 2003
The Kings' free agent signings on defense have worked out that way as well as Mitchell and Scuderi were both brought in with the idea that they'd be supporting players like Doughty and Voynov. There is no insurmountable pressure or expectations placed on them to carry a team like Brad Richards, Chris Drury, Scott Gomez, Wade Redden, etc. all had to deal with. You're seeing the same thing play out in Philadelphia with Ilya Bryzgalov, the goalie who was to be their savior.

The best one of them all was trying to buy a Stanley Cup (winner) in Bobby Holik for 9 Million a season!!

Captain Mittens*

I think those are the only players, along with Chara, that the Kings made attempts to sign, at least to my knowledge. The one fans were most disappointed with was Kovalchuk, but fans got over that one. Some had hopes of signing Parise last summer but I don't think too many were disappointed that he didn't sign here.
IIRC, The Kings were hard after Brooks Orpik the year before we signed Scuds

Captain Mittens*

can't remember that one. i do recall they went after P Martin before PIT signed him though and iirc W Mitchell was the fall back

A non-update update
Posted on July 2, 2008 by Rich Hammond
0 Comments and 0 Reactions
Seems as though another day has come and gone without any movement from the Kings. Perhaps I shouldn’t say “another day.†After all, yesterday brought the magical trade for Denis Gauthier…

It’s not too hard to figure out what happened today. The Kings made a play for Brooks Orpik and it didn’t work out. Now the attention, most likely, turns to another tier of defensemen and the Kings will look to grab a guy on a short-term contract, either via trade or signing.

The more interesting thing is that Rob Blake remains unsigned. I did not anticipate that, and perhaps if his agent would return calls I might get a little insight. But when there’s mutual interest people a player and team and there’s no deal, you have to follow the money, right?

Obviously, I’ll stay on top of all this…

http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/au...ing_wp_cron=1361505235.9772369861602783203125

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad