Brad Richards?

KingKopitar11*

I've always felt that brown but especially Williams are 2nd liners. We need better skill up top but I don't see it happening. I think Williams and the whole in LW on the 2nd line. We have an alright top 6 for a contender.

And no Brad Richards, I'm tired of seeing washed up players joining the kings.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Williams and Brown don't score enough goals to be in the top 2 lines. Especially when the bottom 6 don't chip in enough. I'm not saying we need to trade them, I'm just saying we need more skill up top.

Didn't Brown just score 18 or 19 goals in 48 games in the regular season?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Williams is really a grinding type forward who can create offense due to his tenacity. He's never been the fastest skater, but he has the skill to generate scoring chances for himself and his linemates, so it makes sense why he's used as a top six forward. He's capable of getting the puck to his teammates.

Brown is similar as well in the sense that he's a gritty forward who can generate offense, but he doesn't have the best set of skills and isn't the most fluid skater. They're not the type who are going to be expected to carry the bulk of an offense on any NHL squad, but they are the perfect compliment to skilled players.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I don't see him signing here, too many teams that need a center (kings don't, BR would have to convert to wing) and will pay a lot more than DL can afford to for him
Columbus and Toronto both need centers, Buffalo...

Stands to reason that DL might get a LW back as part of Bernier's deal
And the Kings have Pearson and Toffoli

I also think the Kings might make some changes on the bottom 9

There is also a school of thought that if Torterella is fired, that the GM might not buy out BR, rather give him a year under a different coach with a different system. Something was definately wrong in that lockerroom, they underachieved all year and still look lost.
Getting the right mix of players, personalities, is important. DL put a lot of emphasis on trading for the 'person' first.
Maybe the Rangers just don't have the right people...

taz346

Jan 8, 2008
Not there, but here
It appears to me that the Rangers have tuned Torts out. His coaching style reminds of Iron Mike and that type does wear thin after awhile. In spite of Richards having played for Torts before, looks like things just aren't going well in that locker room.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Didn't Brown just score 18 or 19 goals in 48 games in the regular season?

IIRC, he was on pace for his best goal-scoring season ever. Add that to Carter who was on pace for 50+, and maybe I'm just not seeing us as devoid of offensive punch...

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
We need our bottom six, especially the fourth line, needs to do its job of softening up the defense, which includes the opposing centers.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
IIRC, he was on pace for his best goal-scoring season ever. Add that to Carter who was on pace for 50+, and maybe I'm just not seeing us as devoid of offensive punch...

Heh heh heh...kinda like the reverse of last year. Super sucky for most of the regular season then turned it on in the playoffs...

:cry::cry::cry:

Sam

Feb 27, 2002
Not to that ridiculous contract. Sather always does this. Has to be the big shot and makes a MASSIVE offer to scare other bidders and eventually wins. I'm glad yet another has blown up in his face.
The word was the Kings had offered the same as the Rangers or slightly more. The Kings made a big attempt to sign Richards.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/03/sports/hockey/rangers-sign-brad-richards-for-58-5-million.html?_r=0
Rangers General Manager Glen Sather called the agent, Pat Morris, by phone. Tampa Bay Lightning General Manager Steve Yzerman made his pitch in person, as did an eight-man delegation from the Los Angeles Kings, which as part of a two-hour presentation brought a video that included messages from Wayne Gretzky and Kobe Bryant urging Richards to sign.

. . .

Richards, 31, chose the Rangers over the Kings, who made an offer believed to be slightly higher than the Rangers’. The Toronto Maple Leafs, the Calgary Flames (who reportedly offered $65 million for nine years) and the Philadelphia Flyers were also among the teams whose offers Richards slept on overnight. Sather said Richards “left a lot of money on the table†in choosing the Rangers.

taz346

Jan 8, 2008
Not there, but here
Not saying Kings should sign Richards, but one thing to keep in mind. Sometimes what some players will fail on one team, will turn it around on another team. Example Boyle

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Knew about the home run pitch, but didn't realize we offered him so much. Geeze. Glad we dodged that NUKE!

I actually recall the opposite, where the Rangers offered a hell of a lot more than anyone else up front with the bonuses. Richards is getting $12M this season. That's why the Rangers landed him, as a bulk of the money he was set to earn came in the first few years of the contract.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
I actually recall the opposite, where the Rangers offered a hell of a lot more than anyone else up front with the bonuses. Richards is getting $12M this season. That's why the Rangers landed him, as a bulk of the money he was set to earn came in the first few years of the contract.

The big bonus during the looming lockout must have had some big sway there. Yay for dodging bullets!

Sam

Feb 27, 2002
The Kings reportedly offered a heavily front-loaded contract as well.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2011/07/kings-brad-richards-new-york-rangers-tim-leiweke.html
Initial reports pegged the contract at nine years and $58.5 million, which was close to or identical to the Kings’ offer. Both offers were heavily front-loaded.

jonrazor12

Palffy for President
Oct 20, 2009
In a season which almost never happened due to a lockout, it does not surprise me that there are players struggling this year. Richards is not the only one. Sather would be dumb not to give the guy one more year before a buyout is even considered.

Kingler

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Well maybe DL would be interested if Brad Richards signed for $2-$3m. Kings made a very big pitch at him even though we had just traded for Mike Richards. Would be 6 natural centers in first 3 lines: Kopitar-B. Richards, M. Richards-Carter, Stoll-Lewis

Doubt he will come to west coast though

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I would take him in a heartbeat if he signed for a rebound contract, that's if New York bought him out, which they wont.

Good player, New York is a killer of players when they sign huge contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad