Brad Richards?

LaFan1967

Sep 2, 2007
If B Richards is bought out . I could see him signing with St Louis or Toronto

LA has no cap room for him

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
If and its a big if he would sign cheap enuff i would love him on this team. After a buyout i honestly dont think he ll be looking for big money. I think he ll be looking at trying to win another cup which we are and will be in postion to do. I honestly think he would do well in our system not being the goto guy. The only thing i question is where to put him does he or richards play on the wing. I think torts just put to much pressure on him to be the guy. He will easyly bounce back to be a 65 -70 points on the kings.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Remember when I said I didn't want him and you all said I was crazy? Yeah....how about that?

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I am hoping that we can all learn a lesson from watching teams like the Rangers fail over and over by trying to sign every tip top bestest ever UFA that comes along.

Teams that win the cup are teams that have balance and great goaltending.

Should we upgrade our top 6 LW? Yep.

Do we need to make a few changes this offseason? Sure.

But going after a big name isn't the only or best way to address our needs.

We have most of what we need in our own system. Signing a Richards would only be a setback at this point. Unless we moved Stoll and Vey which wouldn't be an improvement.

Least not to me anyways.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The problem with the Rangers and their strategy in signing free agents is that they go after players with the idea that they are going to carry them and lead them to success. That's a ton of pressure being placed on the shoulders of a newcomer to a team he is not familiar with.

Whereas a team like Detroit where in the past when they added guys like Hull and Robitaille and Duchesne as free agents, they came in to support an already strong team that didn't need them to carry the offense for them. They were put in a role where they could succeed.

The Kings' free agent signings on defense have worked out that way as well as Mitchell and Scuderi were both brought in with the idea that they'd be supporting players like Doughty and Voynov. There is no insurmountable pressure or expectations placed on them to carry a team like Brad Richards, Chris Drury, Scott Gomez, Wade Redden, etc. all had to deal with. You're seeing the same thing play out in Philadelphia with Ilya Bryzgalov, the goalie who was to be their savior.

skillhockey

Feb 26, 2013
Rangers problem is their game plan. dump the puck out, dump the puck in and wish for some bounce. then you combine it with torture(lla) who benches guys for losing some 50/50 situation on ice. No wonder players lose their confidence. You really think it's just bad luck that players fail in rangers more than any other team?

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
I am hoping that we can all learn a lesson from watching teams like the Rangers fail over and over by trying to sign every tip top bestest ever UFA that comes along.

Teams that win the cup are teams that have balance and great goaltending.

Should we upgrade our top 6 LW? Yep.

Do we need to make a few changes this offseason? Sure.

But going after a big name isn't the only or best way to address our needs.

We have most of what we need in our own system. Signing a Richards would only be a setback at this point. Unless we moved Stoll and Vey which wouldn't be an improvement.

Least not to me anyways.

Agreed, but the Kings did go after Richards in a massive way in the summer of 2011. We are indeed extremely fortunate that he signed with NY, but Lombardi and Co. made every effort to bring him to LA.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Rangers problem is their game plan. dump the puck out, dump the puck in and wish for some bounce. then you combine it with torture(lla) who benches guys for losing some 50/50 situation on ice. No wonder players lose their confidence. You really think it's just bad luck that players fail in rangers more than any other team?

Here's the game plan: shot block. Nothing else matters. Not even winning.

fyrescorp

Apr 19, 2006
No to B. Richards. After this years cup run its time to give a couple of young guys the experience needed for a cup run for the next infinity years. Every year introduce a new kid and build a long term winning tradition. No more year to year.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Agreed, but the Kings did go after Richards in a massive way in the summer of 2011. We are indeed extremely fortunate that he signed with NY, but Lombardi and Co. made every effort to bring him to LA.

I remember and was happy it didn't work out then too. Can't blame DL for trying but had we got BR we wouldn't have gotten MR and or Carter.

Besides, I am just not a fan. Ziggy's outline for how the Wings handled UFA signings during their heyday is right on the money for how it can be done successfully. We are learning but then in todays cap heavy league you have to wonder how many big UFA's will actually end up signing with contenders.

Will Iggy sign with the Pens next off season. That sort of thing.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
I remember and was happy it didn't work out then too. Can't blame DL for trying but had we got BR we wouldn't have gotten MR and or Carter.

Besides, I am just not a fan. Ziggy's outline for how the Wings handled UFA signings during their heyday is right on the money for how it can be done successfully. We are learning but then in todays cap heavy league you have to wonder how many big UFA's will actually end up signing with contenders.

Will Iggy sign with the Pens next off season. That sort of thing.

We traded for Mike Richards, then we went after Brad as a Free agent. DL and the Kings's Brass had every intention to bring in BR.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
We traded for Mike Richards, then we went after Brad as a Free agent. DL and the Kings's Brass had every intention to bring in BR.

That's right.

I remain glad regardless of the order that we were unable to bring in BR. We wouldn't have picked up Carter or the cup if we had.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
interesting point ziggy

Funny how cyclical these discussions are. Whenever a sexy UFA comes onto the market, the whole board goes on blast when we miss out on them. Then when we make a trade to get that piece, eveyrone gives DL crap for not signing the UFA piece "for free" and giving up a lot of pieces (like simmonds + schenn or picks) through trade.

of course, years later, we all pat ourselves on the back for being "skeptical" about signing the UFA. I really wish we could thread all our contradicting words together, it'd just be hilarious to read.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
interesting point ziggy

Funny how cyclical these discussions are. Whenever a sexy UFA comes onto the market, the whole board goes on blast when we miss out on them. Then when we make a trade to get that piece, eveyrone gives DL crap for not signing the UFA piece "for free" and giving up a lot of pieces (like simmonds + schenn or picks) through trade.

of course, years later, we all pat ourselves on the back for being "skeptical" about signing the UFA. I really wish we could thread all our contradicting words together, it'd just be hilarious to read.

Not the whole board. Lots of us are aware of just how things work and have been from the start.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
SJ will keep him. But no. Not a good enough forward and we don't need a PMD.

trade board has a proposal for SJ-NYR involving Burns for Giradi+Kreider+. Rags fans already looking at the traditional way for a NY team to 'fix' their failure. throw money at it

as silly as it sounds this could be a great way for SJ to cash in for the inevitable departure of Boyle, Thornton and Marleau

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
interesting point ziggy

I don't remember too many fans being torn apart over not signing Brad Richards. In the past, I do recall fans were miffed when they had no chance of signing guys like Drury, Briere and Gomez (and thank God those never happened).

I think those are the only players, along with Chara, that the Kings made attempts to sign, at least to my knowledge. The one fans were most disappointed with was Kovalchuk, but fans got over that one. Some had hopes of signing Parise last summer but I don't think too many were disappointed that he didn't sign here.

With the cap going down next season and with a number of important players to re-sign, I don't foresee the Kings being active in free agency this summer. Which is a very good thing as the team doesn't have many holes to address.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
trade board has a proposal for SJ-NYR involving Burns for Giradi+Kreider+. Rags fans already looking at the traditional way for a NY team to 'fix' their failure. throw money at it

as silly as it sounds this could be a great way for SJ to cash in for the inevitable departure of Boyle, Thornton and Marleau

Kreider is going to be a monster once he gets a good coach under him. I would wet myself if we could pry him away from the Rags for A Mart in some way.

Jeesh it would be fun to have that kid under our system. He would be brutal.

Funny watching the Rags go through their motions on "fixing" their troubles. Typical big money failure problems.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I don't remember too many fans being torn apart over not signing Brad Richards. In the past, I do recall fans were miffed when they had no chance of signing guys like Drury, Briere and Gomez (and thank God those never happened).

I think those are the only players, along with Chara, that the Kings made attempts to sign, at least to my knowledge. The one fans were most disappointed with was Kovalchuk, but fans got over that one. Some had hopes of signing Parise last summer but I don't think too many were disappointed that he didn't sign here.

With the cap going down next season and with a number of important players to re-sign, I don't foresee the Kings being active in free agency this summer. Which is a very good thing as the team doesn't have many holes to address.

Hmmmmmm......

I see us having a few holes to fill and potentially a few big ones at that too.

If we can bring Scuds back that will see us trade away one of our other D (A Mart Ellerby possibly Muzzin though doubtful) and then will WM tell the rest of the world about the rest of his troubles or has he made another step forward that will stick this time.

We could fill any holes that we might have when we deal JB (if but likely) or once our D is settled.

I agree though that whatever we do it won't likely be done through free agency other than what would be expected. Not any big game hunting this year at least and that should be nice.

We might fill our spots from within. I think that Pearson has a spot to lose and that he looked pretty good during his short play.

TT is a shoe in if we can find an RW spot to play him (I think 3rd line rw is his next season). Gonna be interesting no matter how it goes.

gonnaneedsomewine

Jun 19, 2010
Kreider is going to be a monster once he gets a good coach under him. I would wet myself if we could pry him away from the Rags for A Mart in some way.

Jeesh it would be fun to have that kid under our system. He would be brutal.

Funny watching the Rags go through their motions on "fixing" their troubles. Typical big money failure problems.

Remember after last postseason when Kreider was deemed untouchable and an instant superstar after all the goals he scored by Rangers fans?
Now they're offering him in deals for Brent Burns.

I would absolutely love Kreider on this team if the Kings could pry him from the Rangers. Tortorella is a moron the way he has been handling him.

The kid has immense talent and would be a perfect top 6 winger with a left handed shot for the Kings to replace Penner at a low cap charge. He's also a center by trade so he could play some center like Carter has. He is built like a Kings forward at 6-3 230 and is blazing fast.

Unfortunately it'd take more than Martinez to get him IMO. Rangers fans would probably be looking for a guy like Voynov in return and there's no way the Kings do that. I'd be willing to deal Muzzin+ for him, personally, as I think it'd be smart to sell high on Muzzin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad