Confirmed with Link: Brad Richards signed with the Wings in 2015, so chat about it

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Would rather have seen weiss get another shot this year. This is a lateral move. Weiss not work in out was mostly babcock's utilization issues and now 1.5 off the cap for 6 years and a constant veteran replacement for that slot anyway.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I was mad until I realized it was for just 1 year. This saves us from spending a 2nd round pick + prospect at trade deadline for another Cole/Legwand.

Under the circumstances with the already injured roster (Datsyuk/Franzen) who won't be starting the year and Franzen probably done, it's a good signing to help keep the team from falling behind in the standings. Richards will help the team win, he still has gas in the tank. He's better than Larkin right now... Larkin is still an unknown and could just as easily fold in the NHL.

Would rather have seen weiss get another shot this year. This is a lateral move. Weiss not work in out was mostly babcock's utilization issues and now 1.5 off the cap for 6 years and a constant veteran replacement for that slot anyway.

Richards > Weiss. And to top that off, Wings are saving about 1.5 million in cap hit for 2016.

Actual Thought*

This is anything but a lateral move. Weiss didn't work out for whatever reason. He couldn't stay healthy, he couldn't perform. Richards is coming off his second Stanley Cup win and doesn't have bad juju coming in. We aren't tied to him long term. If he doesn't work out you scratch him or reduce his role. Apparently they were so enamored with Weiss that they paid him to go away. This is definitely an upgrade.

tomahawk

Jun 11, 2006
By the way we have a big moment of truth here on the organizations intentions on #91.

Richards has always worn #19 or #91

When he played Jr. for Rimouski in the Quebec league and for Team Canada in the World Cup he wore #39. Not sure he cares what number he wears at this point of his career

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Just no 90, that number has some bad juju :) But, I believe Weiss and Modano were trying to avoid the number 9 (retired, Gordie Howe), not 91.

Realistically, don't you think that if the Wings were going to retire 91 for Fedorov, that would have happened already?

Should we be mad at Nyquist for wearing 14? After all, Shanny's in the HHOF?

At the end of the day, they are only numbers. There are more important things in life to worry about.

No, I don't think it would have happened already. When there is bad blood, these things can take time even when both sides know what the end result will be. Like the Detroit Pistons retiring Dennis Rodman's number after the rest of the Bad Boys, over a decade after his retirement. It was inevitable, but both sides needed time.

I think the point was that 91 is generally considered a better "star" number than 90. And Shanny, hall of famer though he is, was nowhere near the Wing Fedorov was. His career was too diffuse, Sergei was ours for his entire prime.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I'd say this is encouraging regarding the possibility of Fedorov's # being retired, but then again #6 has been out of circulation forever without the number being retired.

That' good. I think it may be perpetually out of circulation, at a minimum.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Over on the Malik report there's quotes from Holland about #91 possibly going to the rafters.

Great news.

Oops. Injured Choker already linked it.

Last edited:

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I actually really like this move. Slightly bigger, slightly more mobile, and considerably more skilled than Weiss for one year? Why not?

In particular, I think we have the ideal roster to make use of Richards. He comes in as just another top 9 option, not a guy we have to rely on to be the 2C for the duration of the year. I think he'd be a great center for Tatar.

I also don't see this as a painful move in terms of blocking anyone. As much as I like our prospect pool, Larkin is the only one who looks like he should see some time and even then, it wouldn't be criminal to have him in the A for 80% of the year.

The only way I'm going to be upset with this move is if the likes of Jurco or Pulkinen end up being healthy scratches. And I don't really see that happening.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
This is anything but a lateral move. Weiss didn't work out for whatever reason. He couldn't stay healthy, he couldn't perform. Richards is coming off his second Stanley Cup win and doesn't have bad juju coming in. We aren't tied to him long term. If he doesn't work out you scratch him or reduce his role. Apparently they were so enamored with Weiss that they paid him to go away. This is definitely an upgrade.

Yeah maybe this will be good a healthy Richards could be a good mentor for the youngsters. I don't know the weiss buyout was just premature imo and i see it as being done to make room for this. Richards should be much better than Weiss has been though.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I like this deal. I really do. It pushes Andersson off the roster and gives us a legit third line center for the first time in like 8 years.

Richards for 13-15 minutes a night is a lot better than 16 minutes of Glendening not scoring, Weiss getting hurt, or Andersson making bonehead plays. By the end of the season you will see Datsyuk-Sheahan-Richards-Glendening down the center. Richards is pretty durable, but between Datsyuk\Zetterberg\Helm being injury prone you will likely get to see 20-30 games out of Larkin this year.

Shelter Richards and Zetterberg on the third line with Jurco or Pulkinnen, and play them against other teams third and fourth lines and I think you'll see Richards pot 40-50 points this year. Not bad from the third line. We have three legitimate scoring lines that are going to be very difficult to defend against.

Year after that, Larkin is in full-time, Svechnikov goes to the AHL. Year after that, Svechnikov goes to the NHL. In three years our C depth could be Sheahan\Larkin\Datsyuk\Svechnikov\Glendening. Not bad for a team that a year ago had one of the weakest C pools in the NHL.

Aug 6, 2012
Weiss produced at pretty much the same rate as Richards last year in a much tougher position/role. I don't expect much from him.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Weiss produced at pretty much the same rate as Richards last year in a much tougher position/role. I don't expect much from him.

Having Richards on the roster for 70 games, keeping Andersson of the roster and Glendending off the third line, is better than Weiss. They produced at a similar clip, but Richards was actually healthy, and not nearly the defensive detriment Weiss was. By the end of the season Weiss couldn't do anything right anywhere on the ice and ended up not even playing in the playoffs while Richards was a significant contributor to the Hawks cup run, including posting over a PPG in the series against Anaheim. The only reason he never got going is his linemates kept getting hurt...exactly the opposite of Weiss. We haven't been able to maintain a stable roster in two seasons thanks to him playing hurt and making it worse.

Richards as a bridge to Larkin is a good move. Richards can do spot duty on any line and is durable, whereas Weiss couldn't be counted on for anything. Definite upgrade.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

Much tougher position? He got regular PP time and sheltered matchups. Richards was on a line with Kane, which every team attempts to shut down. Richards was a 2C on a Stanley Cup winner. Weiss was a third/fourth line plug on a first round loser. I think Weiss got unfairly criticized, but Richards played better last year without question. 14 playoff points as well.

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010
Sure to be yet another Holland disaster ... dude just got done playing 99 games and is 35. Instead of a screwd trade... he sticks to the playbook and goes for the 35yr old.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
Sure to be yet another Holland disaster ... dude just got done playing 99 games and is 35. Instead of a screwd trade... he sticks to the playbook and goes for the 35yr old.
This is actually a good point...Richards played a lot of hockey last season and is expected to center one of the top lines with Pav out. I don't see how this turns out well. The problem with Hank's move to wing (as much as it needs to be done) is the lack of proven depth at center we have rearing it's ugly head. Some of you have irrationally high expectations for Sheahan as a #2 center...I've stated many times I don't see it, at all. Even coming out of Notre Dame the thought by most was he'd do well to become a solid checking center for his career. By moving Hank to wing we don't have a bona-fide #2 on this team. It's a real concern going into the season.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

Richards could get injured in training camp and not play a single game all season and it still wouldn't be a "disaster".

It's a 1 year deal, there is absolutely no risk whatsoever to this move. Maybe he plays well maybe he doesn't but either way we're not tied to him for any length of time.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Richards could get injured in training camp and not play a single game all season and it still wouldn't be a "disaster".

It's a 1 year deal, there is absolutely no risk whatsoever to this move. Maybe he plays well maybe he doesn't but either way we're not tied to him for any length of time.

Decent insurance signing, yano?

I think by end of the season he'll be centering the third line, and even then, that's fine with me. Let him go sign with the Bruins, Leafs, or Habs next summer to round out his O6 tour.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00