Confirmed with Link: Brad Richards signed with the Wings in 2015, so chat about it

Actual Thought*

This is actually a good point...Richards played a lot of hockey last season and is expected to center one of the top lines with Pav out. I don't see how this turns out well. The problem with Hank's move to wing (as much as it needs to be done) is the lack of proven depth at center we have rearing it's ugly head. Some of you have irrationally high expectations for Sheahan as a #2 center...I've stated many times I don't see it, at all. Even coming out of Notre Dame the thought by most was he'd do well to become a solid checking center for his career. By moving Hank to wing we don't have a bona-fide #2 on this team. It's a real concern going into the season.

So thus they signed Richards. You are making a great case for the deal even while you are trying to be pessimistic.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
So thus they signed Richards. You are making a great case for the deal even while you are trying to be pessimistic.
If Richards was an effective top 6 center at this stage of his career I would agree...the problem is he's not. I mean, if you keep Hank at center to start the season the options for the #1 and #2 center spots are two fading, slow 35 year old players and Riley Sheahan. Then you have to HOPE a 37 year old Datsyuk comes back strong from ankle surgery. Would have been nice for Holland to get creative and give up some of this "depth" he's so fixated on and grab a pivot that isn't on his last legs.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
If Richards was an effective top 6 center at this stage of his career I would agree...the problem is he's not. I mean, if you keep Hank at center to start the season the options for the #1 and #2 center spots are two fading, slow 35 year old players and Riley Sheahan. Then you have to HOPE a 37 year old Datsyuk comes back strong from ankle surgery. Would have been nice for Holland to get creative and give up some of this "depth" he's so fixated on and grab a pivot that isn't on his last legs.

Is there a better solution to our current situation you proposing?

Personally, even with Pav out, I could live without Richards on the team. I certainly see the reasons he's brought here though...

We still don't know whether Franzen will be in the lineup come October. If he's back, he could also play center. (He did pretty well couple of seasons ago) I'm one of those that's pretty high on Sheahan but even if he can't handle top six minutes, having Z and Richards (Until Dats is out) playing top two spots at center I see as hardly a problem given the wingers we have that will be flanking them. As you pointed out, who knows how Datsyuk will come off the injury and for that matter, who knows how both Z and Richards will do until Datsyuk returns and when he returns. At the moment, we seem to be perfectly fine going forward. When things become clearer as the season goes, then perhaps, if warranted, we press the panic button.

Actual Thought*

Richards has elite hockey sense. He is an elite playmaker and will be flanked by very good wingers. They will be fine. The biggest worry is coaching.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005

Personally, even with Pav out, I could live without Richards on the team. I certainly see the reasons he's brought here though...

We still don't know whether Franzen will be in the lineup come October. If he's back, he could also play center. (He did pretty well couple of seasons ago) I'm one of those that's pretty high on Sheahan but even if he can't handle top six minutes, having Z and Richards (Until Dats is out) playing top two spots at center I see as hardly a problem given the wingers we have that will be flanking them. As you pointed out, who knows how Datsyuk will come off the injury and for that matter, who knows how both Z and Richards will do until Datsyuk returns and when he returns. At the moment, we seem to be perfectly fine going forward. When things become clearer as the season goes, then perhaps, if warranted, we press the panic button.
The odds that two 35 year old players who are in obvious decline will do "fine" as the top 2 centers are slim, that's all I'm saying. Looking at the situation objectively calls for a lot of HOPE and unfounded optimism to feel anywhere close to good about things. Also, as much as I like Tatar and Gus they aren't superstar, carry-a-team-on-their-backs kind of players. We have solid talent on the wings but not good enough to make up for the limitations we potentially have at center.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
Richards has elite hockey sense. He is an elite playmaker and will be flanked by very good wingers. They will be fine. The biggest worry is coaching.
There is nothing "elite" about Brad Richards. No aspect of his game has been elite for several years.

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010
Richards could get injured in training camp and not play a single game all season and it still wouldn't be a "disaster".

It's a 1 year deal, there is absolutely no risk whatsoever to this move. Maybe he plays well maybe he doesn't but either way we're not tied to him for any length of time.

But that's the problem... sure it might be no risk but also could be no reward. We have had enough ammo for awhile now to be a player in the trade market but we just keep kicking the can down the road with "low risk" moves.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
But that's the problem... sure it might be no risk but also could be no reward. We have had enough ammo for awhile now to be a player in the trade market but we just keep kicking the can down the road with "low risk" moves.

The difference is Richards isn't the biggest acquisition for the Wings. He is a complimentary piece on a one year deal to add to the offensive defenseman who was added to drastically improve the team.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
There is nothing "elite" about Brad Richards. No aspect of his game has been elite for several years.

He certainly had elite hockey sense in his prime. Players don't lose their hockey sense with age, they just aren't able to physically act upon it like they were before. Would you say Datsyuk or Zetterberg have lost their elite hockey sense compared to their primes? No, they just aren't as physically capable as they were 3-4 years ago.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Just picking up Richards could also reflect how highly the Wings think of Athanasiou and Larkin. If Datsyuk is out and they are serious about keeping Z on the wing, that should open up a center spot on in the top9. They could be looking at running Richards, Sheahan, and Larkin/AA out for the first few weeks, which would be interesting.

Aug 6, 2012
He certainly had elite hockey sense in his prime. Players don't lose their hockey sense with age, they just aren't able to physically act upon it like they were before. Would you say Datsyuk or Zetterberg have lost their elite hockey sense compared to their primes? No, they just aren't as physically capable as they were 3-4 years ago.

All depends really. Some do, some don't. From my limited viewings of Richards, I can say pretty easily that there is nothing elite about his game. I just don't think he's a very good player while also getting another year older. I'm not going to keep flaming about the signing since its over, but I'm really not a fan. Like many have said though, its a one-way deal so there's no real loss. Unless he gets overplayed while being terrible.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
All depends really. Some do, some don't. From my limited viewings of Richards, I can say pretty easily that there is nothing elite about his game. I just don't think he's a very good player while also getting another year older. I'm not going to keep flaming about the signing since its over, but I'm really not a fan. Like many have said though, its a one-way deal so there's no real loss. Unless he gets overplayed while being terrible.

I don't think any players really do, unless you think people just get stupider with age, when generally the opposite is true. Maybe there are exceptions, but I think you're confusing physical abilities with hockey intelligence. I don't think you can be a 2C on a championship team while being a terrible hockey player.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
The odds that two 35 year old players who are in obvious decline will do "fine" as the top 2 centers are slim, that's all I'm saying. Looking at the situation objectively calls for a lot of HOPE and unfounded optimism to feel anywhere close to good about things. Also, as much as I like Tatar and Gus they aren't superstar, carry-a-team-on-their-backs kind of players. We have solid talent on the wings but not good enough to make up for the limitations we potentially have at center.

From what I gather, Datsyuk isn't going to miss too many games. You're also completely dismissing Sheahan as a possible option. Franzen might also be an option if he is back. We also have a couple of guys in the minors.... That's a lot of options. On top of that, Z is actually still a perfectly good center. I prefer him on the wing only because I think he can be more effective there as well as have more gas left in the tank down the stretch. Richards, since I haven't seen much of him lately myself, I can only go by what Hawks fans say... What I gather there is that he is in need of a fuse to light the fire as oppose to having an empty tank. So I guess it's a hit or miss with him at this point.

Tatar and Gus don't really need to carry the team. They certainly didn't do that last year. However, they are both talented players who can very much play structured hockey. They're both capable of scoring on their own. They don't need to be baby-sat. While last year left something to be desired, lets not forget that with both D and Z out, Tatar and Nyquist did a fine job pushing this team to a playoff spot.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Just picking up Richards could also reflect how highly the Wings think of Athanasiou and Larkin. If Datsyuk is out and they are serious about keeping Z on the wing, that should open up a center spot on in the top9. They could be looking at running Richards, Sheahan, and Larkin/AA out for the first few weeks, which would be interesting.

I'd actually really like to see that. Would be a good time to have a look at the youngsters too and who knows? If they work out, make them permanent.

As I mentioned before, I think it's mostly about options with Holland. I think he's getting prepared for half the roster to go down with injuries here. He really seems to like to have a lot of room to work with.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
If Richards was an effective top 6 center at this stage of his career I would agree...the problem is he's not.

As a points of comparison:

-Do you believe either Helm or Abdelkader will sign deals with an AAV of the 3 mil Detroit's committed (less bonuses) to Richards? Are either of them terribly effective top 6 players?

-Richards is making (less bonuses) 250k more than Brendan Smith. Do you envision his role on the team will be more or less critical than that of Smiths, and do you believe he will perform better or worse in that role than Smith?

-Other than Drew Miller, Richards is the lowest paid player on the team who has signed a UFA deal. Anyone else on the roster who is cheaper (and not Miller) is so because they are RFAs of some type.

I am not trying to imply that Richards is some tremendous bargain or that this signing is one we should preserve in Carbonite so that centuries hence we may look upon it and glow with pride at our amazing conquest.

It's fine, though. Even with Weiss gone, the Richards contract isn't in the top 5 of contract situations I'm concerned about (Howard, Franzen, Zetterberg, Nyquist, Tatar in that order.)

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
As a points of comparison:

-Do you believe either Helm or Abdelkader will sign deals with an AAV of the 3 mil Detroit's committed (less bonuses) to Richards? Are either of them terribly effective top 6 players?

-Richards is making (less bonuses) 250k more than Brendan Smith. Do you envision his role on the team will be more or less critical than that of Smiths, and do you believe he will perform better or worse in that role than Smith?

-Other than Drew Miller, Richards is the lowest paid player on the team who has signed a UFA deal. Anyone else on the roster who is cheaper (and not Miller) is so because they are RFAs of some type.

I am not trying to imply that Richards is some tremendous bargain or that this signing is one we should preserve in Carbonite so that centuries hence we may look upon it and glow with pride at our amazing conquest.

It's fine, though. Even with Weiss gone, the Richards contract isn't in the top 5 of contract situations I'm concerned about (Howard, Franzen, Zetterberg, Nyquist, Tatar in that order.)

I would still keep the Weiss contract in the concern list since we will be paying 1.5 million for nothing over the next 6 seasons.

Actual Thought*

Players don't lose their hockey sense with age and many play well beyond 35. We have no idea how Richards will play this year but if he puts up 35pts this is a great 1 year deal. I think that is a pretty safe assumption.
This is a pretty deep team and you can win hockey games in a lot of different ways.

We have a new rookie coach. We have no idea where players will be slotted. We don't know what injuries will occur and which prospects will shine in their opportunities.
Maybe Larkin dominates camp.
Maybe Z get's his scoring touch back.
Maybe Richards gets some chemistry goin in a "2 kids and a goat" scenario. We have no idea but I see no reason to be pessimistic.
Maybe Blashill sucks and they miss the playoffs. Maybe he is the "fresh voice" everyone claims will make him great. We don't know.
Maybe Sheehan gets some minutes in Datsyuk's absense and takes a step.
Maybe Pav responds well to the surgery and is as good as last year. Maybe he doesn't.
Maybe a camp invite catches on.
Maybe a trade is made in the offseason, during the season, or at the TDL. We don't know. I would argue the roster is better on paper than last year provided Pav comes back. No reasons for doom and gloom. A 1 year deal for Richards is far from our biggest worry.

Any center gets hurt and one of the young centers will get a shot. It's bound to happen. Richards just gives us more depth which is a good thing. He might have a great year and put up 50 pts. He might put up 35. He might get hurt in game 2 and get replaced by the best center in camp.

I would still keep the Weiss contract in the concern list since we will be paying 1.5 million for nothing over the next 6 seasons.

Not really. They budgeted 5 mil for Weiss. They paid BR 3 mil. They actually gained cap space while upgrading the position for this year. Next year Larkin, AA, Nosek are all in the mix and any of them will be cheaper than Richards until after Weiss falls off the books.

Last edited by a moderator:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I actually won't care of Richards is as abysmal as Weiss at regular season.

Brad was hired to make us stronger at the playoffs, just like was for the Hawks at last season.

I think it's easier to trust a guy who has won a Conn Smythe than a guy who had 7 game career playoff experience...?

Who wouldn't love proven winners?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Sorry for bumping this thread but I was curious how Richards has played for you guys

Haven't watched a lot of Wings this year and was wondering if this may be it for Richards

His play was slipping these past few years and he will be 36 yrs old soon

Still very happy with his one year as a Hawk

Lgw

Feb 4, 2016
He's done what he was expected to do I would say. It's hard to rack up points on a team that can't score goals.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Sorry for bumping this thread but I was curious how Richards has played for you guys

Haven't watched a lot of Wings this year and was wondering if this may be it for Richards

His play was slipping these past few years and he will be 36 yrs old soon

Still very happy with his one year as a Hawk

He occasionally makes a nice pass and every goal he scores seems to be in a clutch situation. Otherwise he's been terrible. Too slow and can't do any of the other stuff well enough to make up for it.

mikerooooose

Nov 7, 2009
Michigan
How do people not like Brad Richards?! He plays a very simple, effective, clutch game. He's not going to be a top player on any team, but he's great for a supporting role.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
How do people not like Brad Richards?! He plays a very simple, effective, clutch game. He's not going to be a top player on any team, but he's great for a supporting role.

I agree. He takes a lot of hate on this board but he's actually been very steady. We can't score goals but Richards is the least of our problems. I think the expectations were way too high.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00