Confirmed with Link: Brad Richards signed with the Wings in 2015, so chat about it

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Well I hope they retire his jersey. But was just pointing out we get a very quick glimpse into that.

The fact both Modano and Weiss avoided the number is encouraging for people in the retire his # camp.

Richards will be telling in this regard in my opinion as he will request it and have to be told no.

I'm not so sure he'll request it.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Not crazy about this contract, though the fact that it is only 1 year means there is no risk involved

If he is bad he gets limited minutes/ scratched and leaves next summer, or maybe we find someone willing to give us a pick at the deadline if he really isn't fitting in and wants an opportunity elsewhere

If it means Cleary doesn't get a contract then it instantly becomes a much better deal IMO :)

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Weiss couldn't be on the roster next season if he was just going to sit in the press box. Now explain to me how that post was criticizing Ken Holland?

You demanded Weiss not be on the roster, and then carped about Holland once he was off the roster... as you'll likely hammer Holland for doing whatever he does or doesn't do moving forward.

I have never criticized Holland for signing Weiss. If i had known Weiss was going to be replaced with Richards, i would have just elected to keep him for another season. Weiss needed to be bought out because he was wasting a roster spot. Now that roster spot is being wasted by Brad Richards. Hooray!!!!!!!!

You do understand that Richards is only signed for a year though, right? And that Weiss was signed for this year and two more? And that by going from Weiss to Richards a roster spot will open two years sooner than it would have otherwise? And that just maybe a 19 year old kid taken late in round 1 may not be ready for a full NHL schedule before he can buy a beer?

I'm surprised you wouldn't love my team if that were true. You love teams that are built to go nowhere in the playoffs.

I love teams that are built to withstand the first bit of wind before they capsize. You want the hull about half an inch above the waterline.

Prospects that look good in the AHL need NHL experience to determine exactly what you might have. There is no way around that. Excellent AHL production doesn't equate to excellent NHL production. Otherwise Brendan Smith would be amazing right now.

I agree. I disagree that just being decent in the AHL means you need to get an NHL look, and if you're pining for a bunch of 2014-15 AHLers to get looks, that's your standard.

Wow Nyquist played 18 and 22 games over the span of two seasons. Meanwhile Dan Cleary was still being brought back by the Wings and Mikael Samuelsson was wasting a roster spot. Two signings that should have never happened.

And they wouldn't have had Nyquist been anything but invisible in two callups which spanned HALF A SEASON.

Yeah if a prospect is playing as well as a vet, you play the prospect.

And that's why your strategy eschews depth, is open to be washed under the waves of the first injuries, and is ultimately self-destructive.

You are getting more value out of every point, since they are cheaper than vets. That's how you succeed in the NHL today.

Yes, there are lots of teams who are succeeding by following your ideas. They are...?

You should love that. I know how much you care about seeing the Wings make money for Mr.Ilitch.

Illtch hasn't made a dime off of me in years. I think you're confusing being aware of reality with an implicit support of it.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I would've rather had Justin Williams, Joel Ward or Beleskey for some offense/depth. Richards is a waste of cap space. And for some reason, ever since I saw the Rangers - Caps 24/7, I just can't stand him.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I would've rather had Justin Williams, Joel Ward or Beleskey for some offense/depth. Richards is a waste of cap space. And for some reason, ever since I saw the Rangers - Caps 24/7, I just can't stand him.

None of those players are centers.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015

Neither of those guys play centre. And Beleskey was looking for term, which wouldn't have been smart to give. It's a 1 year deal. No worries.

I was kinda ambivalent about this signing to begin with. Didn't hate it, and didn't love it. But the more I think about it, the more I think I like it.

Hammerheart

Now how about a hug?
Aug 1, 2011
Yeah, not spend it on Brad Richards, and give Sheahan an opportunity to earn that spot or one of the prospects like Larkin.

Datsyuk won't be back until November, and who knows if he'll even stay healthy after that point. We need some veteran depth down the middle with that sort of doubt, and Richards put up 40+ points last year. For 1 year using money that we could afford to spend isn't the end of the world.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
It just smells like a bad Holland signing to me.

it is 1 year

it isnt like we are a team that is one piece away from a cup and we needed this player to be special

he is a vet with cup pedigree/ experience who helps with roster flexibility (stacking 1st line with D+Z)

only downside is that he might block Sheahan from getting opportunities, but Blash isnt Babs, so we will wait and see on that

regardless, you can't call a 1 year deal a "bad Holland signing" , there isn't anything at risk here on-ice or in a cap sense

spost

Oct 12, 2014
I'm realizing I'm the only one that's going to be excited about this, lol.

You can count me in too. It's not a GREAT signing but it certainly is a solid one, especially if it enables us to take a stab at another decent piece.

We can take Z off the C and spread the PP a bit, which already looks promising with the addition of Green, another solid signing.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
You can count me in too. It's not a GREAT signing but it certainly is a solid one, especially if it enables us to take a stab at another decent piece.

We can take Z off the C and spread the PP a bit, which already looks promising with the addition of Green, another solid signing.

Likewise, count me in as excited about this one.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Datsyuk won't be back until November, and who knows if he'll even stay healthy after that point. We need some veteran depth down the middle with that sort of doubt, and Richards put up 40+ points last year. For 1 year using money that we could afford to spend isn't the end of the world.

I have not read anywhere that Datsyuk won't be back til November.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
I like it.. Only because it's 1 year. Don't understand most of you calling it a "terrible signing". Sure, let the kids play... But Larkin/Mantha weren't going to be playing this year anyways. Also, they could both still ****ing flop.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Well I hope they retire his jersey. But was just pointing out we get a very quick glimpse into that.

The fact both Modano and Weiss avoided the number is encouraging for people in the retire his # camp.

Richards will be telling in this regard in my opinion as he will request it and have to be told no.

Just no 90, that number has some bad juju :) But, I believe Weiss and Modano were trying to avoid the number 9 (retired, Gordie Howe), not 91.

Realistically, don't you think that if the Wings were going to retire 91 for Fedorov, that would have happened already?

Should we be mad at Nyquist for wearing 14? After all, Shanny's in the HHOF?

At the end of the day, they are only numbers. There are more important things in life to worry about.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Just no 90, that number has some bad juju

I forgot, since Weiss was bought out it would seem Tatar finally gets his number. I have to imagine he is wearing 90 next year.

I think Tats can turn that number around.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
Not crazy about this contract, though the fact that it is only 1 year means there is no risk involved

If he is bad he gets limited minutes/ scratched and leaves next summer, or maybe we find someone willing to give us a pick at the deadline if he really isn't fitting in and wants an opportunity elsewhere

If it means Cleary doesn't get a contract then it instantly becomes a much better deal IMO :)

This is a good point. If he isn't clicking I'm sure we can at least get something at the TDL since he's an expiring contract. Plus his playoff pedigree should be an appeal even if he's doing awful.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Not nearly as thrilled with this as I am with the Green signing, but it's one year and the injury to Datsyuk has to concern folks. Seems crazy that they are talking about Richards being the #1 or 2 guy next year while Zetterberg is still on the team, but the conversion to wing seems like it's a pretty set in stone thing at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad