TSN: Brad Richards has been BOUGHT OUT.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Brad Richards did a lot of good things for the Rangers but lets not forget how out of shape he showed up to camp during the lockout year. Richards earned this buyout, is not the type of player that will age well.

Yes, the team will miss his leadership but this was a no-brainer.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
bradrichards_4690-430x298.jpg

Been real Brad. Liked you as a person, and enjoyed the success the team had with you in the line up in the playoffs the last three seasons.

Going to be a challenge to replace a 50 pt 2nd line center, but the legs just weren't there any more.

This. I loved everythign about the guy except his lack of game anymore :(

Good luck Brad. No doubt someone will sign him for $4M

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Not too worried about our center depth.

I think Brassard can be a good enough 2nd line C. Stepan needs to be more consistent to be a complete #1. Can see that happening.

D. Moore 3C. Boyle 4th line.

Not dynamic in scoring, but was it when we made our runs in 12' and 14'? Not worried.

Boyle will be gone. Moore is nice, but probably won't even get 10 goals. Asking more from others and putting more pressure from others may not be a good thing. The center answer may not currently reside on this team.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
At the end of the day he was a disappointment.

But he was also here for the best 3 year stretch in 2 decades, and was at times a huge part of it.

I am glad the team has moved on. But I wont be looking back on his tenure here with any resentment. He had his moments.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Yeah. Pretty sure those 66 points his first year, .72 ppg plus numerous clutch goals were all meaningless. Give me a break

I don't think you understand.

Brad Richards wasn't a 65 point center before signing with us. He was much better and playing some of the best hockey of his career. His play dropped dramatically when he signed with us. Most of that likely in part to being out of shape, which he publicly admitted to.

It's fascinating how someone could lack the understanding to comprehend this. If McDonagh comes out and plays like he did his rookie year next season it will be quality defenseman play. In the scope of his career though it's crap, and we would all be very upset. Understand?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
100% the right play timing-wise. Give the man a last week with his teammates. Bury the news leading into a weekend.

Agreed.

They weren't the first team to buy guys out. They showed the proper amount of respect here. But it was a move that had to be made.

Sits games 4 and 5 against Boston in 12-13
relegated to the 4th line against LA

the end was coming and he had to know it. But I think the team did the right thing delaying the inevitable here.

Wish it would have worked out different.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
I will always cherish the memory of being in the building for that tying goal against WSH. Thanks to Richards for what he did for us.
Agreed. Richards has scored some big goals for us. Tying goal against WSH, Winter Classic Winner, Game 7 vs PIT winner.

His tenure was disappointing because of how dynamic he was prior to coming here, but he was a good player for us for 2 out of 3 years.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I honestly think Richards really helped guys like Stepan/Mcdonagh/etc.. and in his 3 years here we did make the ECF and the SCF.. you can't say its been a complete bust.

and I don't understand the "one year too late crowd".. we just made the SCF with him.

Completely agree with this post

Blueblood2

Nov 14, 2011
The Rangers had to do this because of the ridiculous contract and this is what happens when players get overpaid in FA. He has no one to blame but himself. That being said I have had the pleasure of meeting Richie at several events and he is truly a genuinely quality and caring person and true professional. I wish him well.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The right move. He wasn't worth his cap hit now let alone 6 years from now and the cap recapture thing--just too much. The last thing was the playoffs--two pretty good series followed by two lacklustre ones. The guy didn't have enough gas to go a full regular season and 4 playoff rounds. I don't blame him for that but it tells me if the Rangers were ever to go back to the finals he'd be an absolute passenger by the time we got there. Can't have that. You need everybody contributing if you're going to have a chance. Anyway his point play can be real iffy. We need to find someone better to handle the point on the pwp.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Hes yet another swing and a miss when it comes to free agent centers.

Stastny will be the next one. DONT DO IT, GLEN.

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
Unfortunate, but it had to be done. This was two years in the making. Glad that we kept him this year, because he was a vital cog in the regular season and the first two rounds of the playoffs.

Also of note, and obviously this will change in the coming days, but as of right now Rick Nash is the only forward we have signed beyond next season: http://capgeek.com/rangers/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad