Brad Marchand

Status
Not open for further replies.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
If Jagr was still here our 2nd line would do better.

Both Marchand and Bergeron are having a hard time netting points. And its not Erickssons fault necessarily either. It's like when CJ tried desperately tried to make the Marchand, Bergeron, Seguin trio work. But it didn't

I would try an experiment to switch up Ericksson with Kelly. You don't touch the 1st line or breakup the hot Smith-Soderberg duo. Kelly unlike Ericksson plays more physical, takes punishment in front of the net and could help rejuvanate and open the ice up for Bergy and Marchand. Marchand and Bergeron are capable to play their best in a grind and cycle , crash the net game

If switching up Kelly with Ericksson doesn't work, i would think about trading Ericksson for a power forward, like a Bryan Bickell

Yikes

mflo77

Jul 9, 2002
Visit site
double...

Both Marchand and Bergeron are having a hard time netting points. And its not Erickssons fault necessarily either. It's like when CJ tried desperately tried to make the Marchand, Bergeron, Seguin trio work. But it didn't

I would try an experiment to switch up Ericksson with Kelly. You don't touch the 1st line or breakup the hot Smith-Soderberg duo. Kelly unlike Ericksson plays more physical, takes punishment in front of the net and could help rejuvanate and open the ice up for Bergy and Marchand. Marchand and Bergeron are capable to play their best in a grind and cycle , crash the net game

If switching up Kelly with Ericksson doesn't work, i would think about trading Ericksson for a power forward, like a Bryan Bickell

double yikes.....

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I don't think it is wise for the Bruins to pay a 3rd line winger $4.5 mil. I think his game is coming around, but the production still isn't there. 8 points at the quarter mark of the season is sup bar for a guy making that kind of money. Projecting out to a full year he would finish with 12g-20a-32 points, which is not what you want from a 2nd line winger. I'm not concerned yet, he looks to be breaking out of his funk. If the production continues to come at a slow pace, then it may be time to worry. I'd give it till January.

If Marchand continue to get 0 PP time, his stats line will likely end up like the projection.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
double yikes.....

why don't you write a proper response. If you want to argue with my rant, go ahead

Bottom line is, the line is not working. 3rd line is outproducing the 2nd line since the start of the year. Marchand is not the only one to blame

Last edited:

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island

There are so many better alternatives to shaking up the line-up... but there's no need for immediate hurry in any case.

Eriksson does not play center, neither does Smith and Soderberg is looking so comfortable growing into an NHL left-winger i don't see why he should be moved to center. Yeti CAN take face-offs, but still the fact remains that both Smith and Eriksson are right-wingers.

Besides, i don't mind Soderberg taking draws when necessary but i don't want him playing center at the NHL level being practically blind in one eye... he is better suited as a versatile, power-forward-lite LW in North America.

Yes Eriksson does shoot left and can play both but as many Stars fans have said from the get-go, with Loui himself being on record saying more than once -- and the statistics bear out from his time in Dallas -- that he prefers playing RW.

So your proposal will never happen. I think it would be far more likely that Soderberg could eventually get placed on Bergy's left wing, providing a bigger body and stronger net presence to try helping the 2nd line. Yeti and Eriksson might click too.

The 3rd line is playing too well to try that out yet, though. Food for thought, it may happen in the future if Marchand continues to look out of sorts and Yeti plays like a stud.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I give Brad about another week and if nothing improves, throw him on the 4th line.

That's where I'm at as well. Hopefully he can build on his performance on Saturday and really get going. If not, park him on level 9 for 2 games and give him the kick he needs.

Mediocre play just isn't going to cut it anymore.

bostone737

Jun 21, 2011
Toronto

Whoa, you want to pair up Marchand and Bergeron with Kelly to jump start their offence?

and trade Eriksson? Little premature for that maybe?

bostone737

Jun 21, 2011
Toronto
why don't you write a proper response. If you want to argue with my rant, go ahead

Bottom line is, the line is not working. 3rd line is outproducing the 2nd line since the start of the year. Marchand is not the only one to blame

and neither is Eriksson... Bergeron has had a slow start to the season too

people have zero patience here..

Bergeron was a mess after last year and Eriksson has played 18 games on a new team, about half of them after getting concussed by a giant goofball. Let them 2 get into full gear, Marchand will come along too, he's shown signs in the last 2 weeks or so of turning a corner, he had that 1 bad bad game, vs NY I think it was, but he has looked better, skating better with the puck. Don't think the best way to get that line going is to separate them.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
That's where I'm at as well. Hopefully he can build on his performance on Saturday and really get going. If not, park him on level 9 for 2 games and give him the kick he needs.

Mediocre play just isn't going to cut it anymore.

Marchand should have the same treatment Kelly received last season.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
No. He deserves the Looch treatment.

Nice try at a personal shot tho.

Marchand will be back to his old self... Time is what he needs.
I trust the organisation to decide and manage the team.
I don't second guess them since they are aware of info that we are not.
So wen the time to cut Kelly loose is upon us... I will accept the decision.

:D

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Marchand will be back to his old self... Time is what he needs.
I trust the organisation to decide and manage the team.
I don't second guess them since they are aware of info that we are not.
So wen the time to cut Kelly loose is upon us... I will accept the decision.

:D
No he needs a seat on level 9 for a few games.

Your troll job is childish at best.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Marchand should have the same treatment Kelly received last season.

Those are different situations. At this point in his career, regardless of how you feel about him, Chris Kelly is who he is. Putting him on the 9th floor isn't really going to accomplish anything. You do it for one of three reasons. I'm can't say if any of these apply to Brad Marchand, but if you were going to put him on the 9th floor for a night you'd do it because:

1. You thought he wasn't trying hard enough.
2. You thought he was trying too hard.
3. You want a young player to take a step back and see the game from a different vantage point.

At the same time, not all motivation tactics work the same for all people. Putting Lucic on the 9th floor worked beautifully, it may have the opposite effect on Brad Marchand. It's not an action to be taken lightly.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Healthy scratch time

I actually thought he was better the last game....perhaps still not to where he needs to be, and at game 24 I don't think continuing to say "he'll get better" is particularly helpful either. We're past the quarter mark of the season.

Yet I'm loathe to break up the bottom two lines right now with how well they've been playing consistently over the last two weeks.

I was a big proponent of having Marchand sit a game upstairs, but that was also during the losing streak and we could afford to shuffle the lines a bit. Now that we're seeing balanced scoring from the bottom two lines, I don't want to mess with it.

Are people really comfortable with sitting Marchand and putting Caron in his place on the second line? I don't want to move Soderberg or Smith off the third or Paille off the fourth.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
The Bruins have a lot of duplicates. Ericsson is like Bergy. The trade reminds me of the Carl Crawford signing. Where do you put him? Trading him isn't that crazy of an idea. It's thinking out of the box. I'm listening. I bet so isn't Chiarelli also. They're going to get someone at the deadline.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH

I don't like when a post adds nothing to the conversation either but, in this case, I almost have to agree with them. I didn't want Jagr last year, Iginla either, because I didn't think either would add to the team. Jagr proved me right in his case. We'll see if Iginla earns his $6 million.

I've already made my feelings on Marchand known.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Only problem with your reasoning is that like Kelly, Eriksson HAS been a net front presence and taken punishment there, so I have no idea what your swap solves? Kelly is Eriksson minus the offensive ability, and does not deserve to be in the Top 6.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Only problem with your reasoning is that like Kelly, Eriksson HAS been a net front presence and taken punishment there, so I have no idea what your swap solves? Kelly is Eriksson minus the offensive ability, and does not deserve to be in the Top 6.

I think whatever device you're using is changing 9's to 6's.

nycbruins*

The Bergeron-Marchand-seguin line was a great one...until around March 2013. Revisionist history to say the line didn't work & Claude tried to force it. Claude pulled the plug on it a little early, if anything.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
My solution: trade Marchand to Edmonton for Gazdic and Nurse.

Play:
Lucic - Krejci - Iginla
Soderberg/Smith - Bergeron - Eriksson
Smith/Soderberg - Kelly - Caron/Johnson
Paille - Campbell - Thornton
Gazdic
Caron/Johnson

member 96824

My solution: trade Marchand to Edmonton for Gazdic and Nurse.

Play:
Lucic - Krejci - Iginla
Soderberg/Smith - Bergeron - Eriksson
Smith/Soderberg - Kelly - Caron/Johnson
Paille - Campbell - Thornton
Gazdic
Caron/Johnson

Might as well just ask Chara and Iginla to retire too.

Taz#24

Feb 27, 2002
Washington DC
Visit site
Patience with “Nose Face Killahâ€.

Unless the Jets make an Evander KANE for Brad MARCHAND, or somebody else makes that kind of pitch, give him time.

I know what’s coming so I’ll defend it now. KANE is a better player and he would thrive as a Bruin.

MARCHAND and Jordan CARON for KANE and Patrice CORMIER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad