Player Discussion Brad Marchand X- Return of the Rat

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Needs another sit down with Bergy imho. He's not quite there on C material.

Maybe it's possible to be TOO passionate?

Agreed.

Bad look to have multiple penalties in a season for mouthing off to the refs. Too much whining from someone who is supposed to represent the whole organization.

I think the "A" was good for him when he had someone like Bergeron or Chara to reign him in.

Its funny how certain fans love to say the refs respect Brad but then they complain that Brad never draws any penalties and the refs let him get abused every night. He also gets hit with unsportsmanlikes more than anyone else I have seen.

So much for that narrative they were trying to push.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Agreed.

Bad look to have multiple penalties in a season for mouthing off to the refs. Too much whining from someone who is supposed to represent the whole organization.

I think the "A" was good for him when he had someone like Bergeron or Chara to reign him in.

Its funny how certain fans love to say the refs respect Brad but then they complain that Brad never draws any penalties and the refs let him get abused every night. He also gets hit with unsportsmanlikes more than anyone else I have seen.

So much for that narrative they were trying to push.
With all due respect (irony), you don’t seem to understand the dynamic of referee-player respect. It does not mean you’re not gonna get dinged with plenty of penalties, unsportsmanlike included.

There is zero doubt Brad is respected amongst officials.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
With all due respect (irony), you don’t seem to understand the dynamic of referee-player respect. It does not mean you’re not gonna get dinged with plenty of penalties, unsportsmanlike included.

There is zero doubt Brad is respected amongst officials.

If you are the captain you want them to respect you for playing the game the right way so that when you talk they listen instead of them just assuming you are bullshitting them.

If Bergeron/Chara go down from contact from stickwork or a greasy check compared to Marchand, who's more likely to draw a call?
If Bergeron/Chara complains to a ref about a shit call compared to Marchand, who is getting the extra 2 tacked on the majority of the time?

That is the type of respect I am referring to. The type that can have an impact on game results. Not the type where they respect him as a person, a great dad, etc.

Whatever version of respect he has now from the officials doesn't do the Bruins any favors.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
If one of my friends acts like a doosh, he’s the doosh, not me. I wouldn’t be able to change anyone’s mind. If a player gets a penalty, it’s a penalty. They aren’t changing their mind because the captain is a nice guy. Never heard of Bergeron changing any refs mind.

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
If one of my friends acts like a doosh, he’s the doosh, not me. I wouldn’t be able to change anyone’s mind. If a player gets a penalty, it’s a penalty. They aren’t changing their mind because the captain is a nice guy. Never heard of Bergeron changing any refs mind.
Once the call is made or not made, sure, it's a done deal. But subliminally...yeah I'd be shocked if at some point the Bruins didn't benefit from the respect that Bergeron earned.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Once the call is made or not made, sure, it's a done deal. But subliminally...yeah I'd be shocked if at some point the Bruins didn't benefit from the respect that Bergeron earned.

Agreed.

Also not sure who here is saying that a great captain can talk a ref out of a penalty that was called. Thats a strawman if I have ever seen one.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
To be fair, the past 5-6 games he’s been absolutely screwed by the refs multiple times.

He’s taken some bad penalties in there also, but even blatant straight forward calls aren’t being called with him drawing calls so I get his frustration with the refs.

Reactions: BBruins

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
To be fair, the past 5-6 games he’s been absolutely screwed by the refs multiple times.

He’s taken some bad penalties in there also, but even blatant straight forward calls aren’t being called with him drawing calls so I get his frustration with the refs.

Its the unfortunate human element when it comes to officiating. Refs know who Marchand is. They know he plays on the edge, oftentimes crossing it. He has some hits in his past that you could argue had real intent to injure. They know he has a history of milking calls with some acting. Marchand made his own bed in that regard.

Refs aren't going to give him the benefit of the doubt. We see it time and time again. In an ideal world refs would ignore the name on the jersey when making calls but I don't know if that has ever been the case in the history of refereeing pro sports.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I actually remember Crosby getting a penalty negated...rare occurrence but it happened.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
What do those stats look like in the playoffs?

Do they get better? Stay the same? Worse?

A bit all over the place. Looks like he lead all players in the playoffs in 2013 and 4th in 2019 ( both tops on the team ) on the two most recent runs to the Finals. I couldn't find any data for the 1st round exits.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Bruins are 7th in pims this year I think. Just can't have the captain mouthing off to refs and turning a 2 into a 4. I think it's just fairly uncomplicated.

Reactions: TD Charlie and BMC

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
that goal yesterday was vintage marchand.
prob the only good thing to come out of that game
Geekie was very good 3 points, Pastrnak was everywhere

Lindholm played great but 30 minutes in January ?

Montgomery had a tough game - I’m thinking Boston a little bit overwhelming

Tortarella, Laviolette, Maurice, Jay Leach, Sacco, Mike Sullivan

Half dozen guys who can handle this place and likely win Cup last year

8 minutes or less for Lohrei, Merkulov, Beecher and Steen outrageous

#kellyorsacco

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Glad to see he’s not washed up as reported in GDT 4 games ago

For the record, what I’d said (not sure if you’re referring to me mind you) was that we are witnessing the beginning of his descent (emphasis on beginning). Something I stand behind, and certainly not meant as a negative - we will all fall

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Geekie was very good 3 points, Pastrnak was everywhere

Lindholm played great but 30 minutes in January ?

Montgomery had a tough game - I’m thinking Boston a little bit overwhelming

Tortarella, Laviolette, Maurice, Jay Leach, Sacco, Mike Sullivan

Half dozen guys who can handle this place and likely win Cup last year

8 minutes or less for Lohrei, Merkulov, Beecher and Steen outrageous

#kellyorsacco
geekie is solid. he has a really solid stick.
im not convinced on lindholm yet. he still makes these odd plays. he made a nice pass on yhe pasta goal. but man what the hell is he doing on the 6th goal? why is he in front on swayman with nobody near him?? hes still a shell of what he was before March last year.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
For the record, what I’d said (not sure if you’re referring to me mind you) was that we are witnessing the beginning of his descent (emphasis on beginning). Something I stand behind, and certainly not meant as a negative - we will all fall
No It was someone else who may not even meant it as all posts are to get a response like what I did - so it wasn’t you I didn’t read your post

we are not what we once were - pretty much everyone on here over 30 is on the descent but nobody wants to hear about it

as of today
Marchand is a very good hockey player that’s where I land

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020

Saying that a guy 5 months from being 36 in pro hockey is starting to experience a decline isn't even a take though. Most guys retire in this 3 year window for Marchy. That he's still top 6 material is amazing, and a testament to how hard he trains. But there's no take to even be had. We already know we saw his very best hockey before now (there was a crazy 3 year period). But his level is still excellent. We knew the same of Bergy.

144 pts to pass Bergy for 3rd highest Bruin all-time (and he'd be 3rd all-time for goals too). If he does 35 more pts this year, 109 more pts. Two 55 pt seasons or three 36ish pt seasons. So that's a 3-4 year window as the captain of the Bruins before he hangs them up. Gonna be fun watching him chase down his HOF spot and get his 63 retired.

Reactions: DKH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad