Player Discussion Brad Marchand VI‎II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
the only thing pissing me off about those videos is the outfit tuukka was wearing to the club

:laugh: what do you expect though? He may be an NHL player and top-tier athlete but Tuuka is a nerd. He rocks those sweater vests, after all.

Reactions: BMC

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I agree that it's a bad look, but I've often wondered if players get as down (or as high) as we fans. And believe me, I've been through this countless times.

I grew up a Houston Oilers fan, and that has been the hardest fandom I've experienced. After the monumental playoff collapse in Buffalo back in '92, words can't describe the feelings I had after that debacle.

Yet there was Cris Dishman being interviewed THAT night out at the movies with his wife. Huh?

I also felt intense, passionate disdain for the Habs after the 2014 playoff ouster. Anything Habs made my blood boil. Yet not long into the off-season there's Milan Lucic training with his partner/friend Brendan Galagher.

Then when my Astros finally won the World Series Justin Verlander missed the parade to get married. That may be his only WS parade, while he probably has at least 2-3 more weddings in him. ;)

I'm still p****d off the Bruins blew Game 7 and acknowledge my feelings are irrational. The players move on. As one paper stated, their millionaires beat our millionaires.

Reactions: Spooner st

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Marchand's contract.
There was a beginning of a discussion on the Backes thread comparing Marchand's contract, to Backes in the sense that Marchand Contract runs into 2025.
Marchand will be at that point 36 years old. Birthday is May 11.
So Marchand will be less than a month into his 36 Birthday.

I don't see it as a problem Marchand style of play still producing at end of contract. Wouldn't be surprised if he's been extended a la Chara, 1 year at the time depending on Brad's wear and tear. comparing his contract to Backes at 32 and facing decision on what to do next.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So clearly there is a real difference in style between the two. Brad traded dollars for term- he might be a Marty St. Louis player that does keep putting up big numbers into his mid 30s. I can easily see that. However, in comparing him with Backes, I wonder how many of us would have liked signing a UFA Brad at age 32 for say 4-5 years at 6 mil or giving him a re-up at that price/term. I don't recall anyone really bringing this up when the deal was announced. Instead it was kudos all around for locking him up at a good price.

I honestly don't expect Brad to decline like Backes did, but he does take a lot of punishment night in and night out and is a smaller player. How much abuse can he take before it starts to affect his game really badly? No idea, but there will be a decline of some sort because no one is immune. I wonder where he will be at age 34 or 35 and us fans knowing he still has a year or two left on the deal. Will some say he is "blocking" the team from acquiring a needed player?

Reactions: BMC

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
So clearly there is a real difference in style between the two. Brad traded dollars for term- he might be a Marty St. Louis player that does keep putting up big numbers into his mid 30s. I can easily see that. However, in comparing him with Backes, I wonder how many of us would have liked signing a UFA Brad at age 32 for say 4-5 years at 6 mil or giving him a re-up at that price/term. I don't recall anyone really bringing this up when the deal was announced. Instead it was kudos all around for locking him up at a good price.

I honestly don't expect Brad to decline like Backes did, but he does take a lot of punishment night in and night out and is a smaller player. How much abuse can he take before it starts to affect his game really badly? No idea, but there will be a decline of some sort because no one is immune. I wonder where he will be at age 34 or 35 and us fans knowing he still has a year or two left on the deal. Will some say he is "blocking" the team from acquiring a needed player?

Backes was never a very fast player, age was part of the decline but so was the overall rise in speed of the league around him.

Sure, Brad does take a lot of punishment but most of it isn’t too harmful to him being mostly stick play and holds as players know they can get away with it. I think his ability to shake off checks and use leverage with guys on the boards keeps him away from much more punishment.

I don’t see Brad’s game declining too-too much around 35-36. The dekes and head fakes he uses to make space for himself will be a bit harder as he loses some of his quickness, but he’s a crafty players and I expect he’ll adjust.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Backes was never a very fast player, age was part of the decline but so was the overall rise in speed of the league around him.

Sure, Brad does take a lot of punishment but most of it isn’t too harmful to him being mostly stick play and holds as players know they can get away with it. I think his ability to shake off checks and use leverage with guys on the boards keeps him away from much more punishment.

I don’t see Brad’s game declining too-too much around 35-36. The dekes and head fakes he uses to make space for himself will be a bit harder as he loses some of his quickness, but he’s a crafty players and I expect he’ll adjust.
That's a pretty accurate analysis of both players.

Reactions: The National

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Still laugh that there's a small percentage of the fan base that does not like this guy. It's insane. How can you not like this guy? He does everything at an incredibly high level.

I think those who don’t like him don’t because of how he played when he was dirty and borderline dirty then the infamous 8 seconds left in game 7 didn’t help

Reactions: LSCII

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Still laugh that there's a small percentage of the fan base that does not like this guy. It's insane. How can you not like this guy? He does everything at an incredibly high level.

I think those who don’t like him don’t because of how he played when he was dirty and borderline dirty then the infamous 8 seconds left in game 7 didn’t help

He is great.

I still have a bad taste in my mouth with that peel off to the bench a few months ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad