Player Discussion Brad Marchand VI‎I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Quick bump because Marchy is on a tear right now, it seemed like he started the season a little slow but he's basically in overdrive right now with 45 points in the past 28 games (1.6PPG)

Since 2016 Marchand is behind only McDavid, Kucherov, Kane and Crosby in total points (4 behind Crosby but with 6 less games played).

Top 5 PPG: McDavid (1.33), Kucherov (1.29), Malkin (1.18), Marchand (1.17) and Crosby (1.16).

Now who saw that coming 3 years ago? Insane, he elevated himself to an actual top 5 (arguably top 4 offensive player in the league) while being arguably also a top 5 defensive winger in the game.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
We knew it was coming. Every year for the past what - 3? 4 years? He spends half the season on a ridiculous PPG pace.

And the crazy thing is he was having a "slow year" up until now pretty much - and he has been PPG all season. He's that good. He's still top 10 and climbing and in one of most impressive scoring seasons in recent memory.

EvilElf63

Mar 27, 2012
Catskills
At the start of 2011, when Marchand was still breaking into the league, it feels like he earned his way up on the top line by scoring shortie after shortie on the PK. Upon reviewing the stats he scored (only) 5 that year in Nov, Nov, Dec, Jan, and March (and of course one against Vancouver). In my mind it seemed like more, because I remember distinctly watching one of his shorthanded goals, thinking "he does this all the time!" and deciding that he was my new favorite player on the Bruins, because of his fire and energy killing penalties, matched with the finishing skill that still makes him lethal whenever he's on the ice. When he signed his extension a few years later I bought his jersey, the first one I bought since my youth. There have been plenty of shenanigans throughout the years, but, golly, I must say, I get warm and fuzzy inside anytime 63 gets a goal while the other team has the advantage. Grats on his 25th.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Was looking for his thread, couldn't find it until now

Sometimes I think with the excitment that Pasta brings, as well as that he's not yet buried 30+ goals so far this year, Brad has been kind of underlooked to a degree this year. He's still the terrific player he's always been, and as far as defensive ability goes, he's an absolute threat on the penalty kill

That is something every team wishes they had, i'm sure

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I always feel like this guy short-changes himself in the scoring race. He got going way too slowly this year and he's still passing up too many shots. He could have finished top-3 for the past three years and might have won a Rocket Richard trophy.

All that said, who cares about the awards. He's entertaining as heck. His latest thing with whacking defenders sticks away is awesome.

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
hqrgcw5ogyi21.gif

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
It just occurred to me how much of a missed opportunity it is that Marchand's name doesn't start with a "J". PB&J would have been perfect.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Nice bit by Fluto in the Athletic on his move against Karlsson

Doing the 'impossible': How Brad Marchand negates defenders'...
...It was not always tucked inside Marchand’s toolbox. He credits Pavel Datsyuk as his inspiration. The former Red Wing was a master of manipulating his stick and those of others. There was one instance when Datsyuk used it on ex-Bruin Loui Eriksson, who, in his prime, was no slouch at executing textbook stickwork.

“In overtime one game,” Marchand recalled. “He was holding onto the puck. Loui tried to pokecheck him. He knocked his stick out of his hand. It was basically a three-on-two for him from that point because Loui didn’t have his stick. When I saw that, I was like, ‘It’s a great play.’ It’s also a defensive play ...

Reactions: sooshii

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
The guy is just an incredible hockey player.

I HATED HIM IN JUNIOR .His team came back on his late game heroics to force a game 7 which they won 2-1.Chris LeTang was his teammate and a much bigger dick.Still remember him giving fans in our rink the finger after they won game 5 in OT.Marchand took a ton of abuse that series but stayed the gentlemen .Hats off to him for making it big cause he earned it.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I HATED HIM IN JUNIOR .His team came back on his late game heroics to force a game 7 which they won 2-1.Chris LeTang was his teammate and a much bigger dick.Still remember him giving fans in our rink the finger after they won game 5 in OT.Marchand took a ton of abuse that series but stayed the gentlemen .Hats off to him for making it big cause he earned it.

Don't you mean Christopher Letang? :laugh:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
one of the ten best players in the league for the past 3 years... we are so lucky to have this guy playing for us. I think we could find better things to post about him then play up the agenda OUTSIDERS want to stigma him with

the freaky thing is... I still think hes only showing me around 80-90% of what I know he has to give and he is still just tearing up the league unstoppable.

I may have backed off my argument last year that marchand deserves to be mentioned in same breath as McDavid {I got to admit, McDavid has grown on me}

but in that next class of player... the kucherov… the mackinnon… Crosby... you got to put marchand somewhere in this mix.

and I know every thread that doesn't include Matthews as the second best player in the nhl turns into a Toronto thread... let me say he might get to marchand's level someday, but he isn't there yet {and isn't even in begeron's league}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad