Brad Larsen - move on or ride it out - poll

Brad Larsen - Move On or Ride It Out?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Larsen thoughts withstanding, I'd really like to see Burnette given the chance to coach this team.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Larsen thoughts withstanding, I'd really like to see Burnette given the chance to coach this team.
I agree. I think he'd do a great job with our young players. I just don't think he'd give up the NJ job to move backwards in a rebuild cycle with a new team. Larsen is clearly not the answer, but I don't know who might possibly be available who is a better option for a young team still having growing pains the next few years.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Haven't changed my vote from ride it out camp because the tank shall go on, but there has to be a change after season.

I can understand the bad even strength results, but 1.5 years into being the head coach, these Powerplay result with the available players are unacceptable. 15PP% alone will kill any playoff hopes next season

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Haven't changed my vote from ride it out camp because the tank shall go on, but there has to be a change after season.

I can understand the bad even strength results, but 1.5 years into being the head coach, these Powerplay result with the available players are unacceptable. 15PP% alone will kill any playoff hopes next season
Keep him until the season is over and then replace him. It can’t get worse.

Reactions: behemolari and Fro

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Since Lars seems like such a likeable dude, can’t he just be hired as a locker room guy? That would leave a apot open in the roster instead of having a vet who’s “great in the locker room” but sucks on the ice? 😂

Reactions: Fro

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Veteran defenseman Erik Gudbransoncommented after a particularly ugly 9-4 loss to Buffalo on Dec. 7 that the Blue Jackets hadn’t “really been practicing the greatest lately.”

It seemed a fairly innocuous comment — one directed as much at himself and fellow players as the coaches — but it took on greater meaning two days later when Gudbranson was asked by the team to apologize and “clarify” his comments after a morning skate.

Clearly, what Gudbranson said touched a nerve.

Sources have told The Athletic in the weeks that followed that several veterans have been frustrated by light practices and what they feel has been insufficient accountability for some players in the face of consistent losing, but it’s unclear if those veterans went to Larsen to ask for the temperature to be turned up in practice.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

“Accountability for some players in the face of consistent losing”

To me, that has to point to Gaudreau and Laine right? Mostly to Gaudreau since he’s actually been around to practice.

I have a hard time thinking Nyquist, Gavrikov, Kuraly, etc are having issues being held accountable. Elvis is being held accountable by his playing time, so I doubt it’s him.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL

To me, that has to point to Gaudreau and Laine right? Mostly to Gaudreau since he’s actually been around to practice.

I have a hard time thinking Nyquist, Gavrikov, Kuraly, etc are having issues being held accountable. Elvis is being held accountable by his playing time, so I doubt it’s him.
I mean, I know it involves more than this, but 13 and 29 are putting up points...what they were signed to do...

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Quite the confirmation bias there . Hell of a thing to randomly throw out those players names .

Reactions: behemolari

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Johnny was always going to put up points but his play in general hasn't been overly impressive. He's been making a lot of bad turnovers.

I'm not calling him out, the team he's stuck with is comical.

The question Brad should be asked is why some guys like Marchenko are still being played 10 minutes a night and others like Jack are getting #1 PP time.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The article also brought up this issue of how do you hold these guys accountable. Do you insert Carsen Meyer and Foudy into the line up when you sit them down? Larsen has no bullets in his accountability pistol.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
My hope (albeit low odds) is if Colorado misses the playoffs Bednar gets the boot and comes back to Columbus. Familiar place, I mean he'd remember Werenski and.... well we still have Werenski

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
The article also brought up this issue of how do you hold these guys accountable. Do you insert Carsen Meyer and Foudy into the line up when you sit them down? Larsen has no bullets in his accountability pistol.
Damned if he does anything, damned if he does it the complete opposite.

Our fan base is seeming split on what they think would be the “correct choice” on almost anything, so you will get a large amount of people attacking him for anything he does. Was the same with Torts.

What I’m fascinated by is that people seemingly think that Larsen is responsible for guys making mistakes or not reading what is happening on the ice quick enough. Can’t make a break out pass, neutral zone turnovers and not covering wide open players/defenseman in the defensive zone is Larsen’s fault??

Elvis not being able to catch a puck or kicks out every rebound into the slot, or being off his angle, is Legace’s fault??

Most times guys being incapable of being “coached” is on the players, not the coaches. They aren’t doing what the coaches WANT them to do, yet many around here treat it that way.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Most times guys being incapable of being “coached” is on the players, not the coaches. They aren’t doing what the coaches WANT them to do, yet many around here treat it that way.

I don't believe there are players in the NHL who are "incapable" of being coached, if no one was ever able to coach them, they'd never make it to NHL.

Anyone can tell players what they want them to do, but not everyone is able to both get that message through and then drill it into the players to be able to execute it.

It's a two way street and not everyone responds the same. Yeah, an ideal hockey player would respond perfectly to any type of coaching, but likewise a perfect coach would use a method which works best for an individual player - or group of players as a whole, which adds a whole different level of group dynamics. It's people, they are never perfect and it's part of a coaches job to be able to work with people.

Of course you can always go super old school and just yell at everyone all the time, some people respond well to that and it also makes sure the ones that don't will fail so miserably they won't be in the team for long, but that's not very good asset management because the return for those players would be quite poor and I think especially in a salary capped league it's important to make the most of what you have.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Unfortunately Larsen isn’t going anywhere for at least the next season

How did you come to that inference?
I think he's safe this season next season he's gonna be on the hot season. This team can't take 3 more seasons to finally start pushing for a spot. I think it'll be more telling after the TDL and after FA period. If Jarmo makes some moves to stabilize the D and center, and if he does I think it means we're expecting to compete sooner rather than later.

Barring another 500 MGL season we should be starting to chase the WC next season and start to be in the perennial playoff team in the seasons following. Anything less is a failure

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I think he's safe this season next season he's gonna be on the hot season.
Somewhere in the south I suppose since winters in Ohio are kind of chilly? :sarcasm:

Seems like my prediction from October isn't aging so terribly after all.

My prediction for the next 12 months is that Larsen continues as HC, they do some tweaks here and there with the game plan and team starts to play well enough to finish just below the WC spot in the standings. Roster moves in the off-season and the classic Jarmo slogan "internal growth within the org" bring new hope for 2023-24, no coach gets fired but they add a Brad Shaw type veteran voice behind the bench to consult Larsen. Maybe they promote Haviland from the Monsters to serve as an assistant.

Then they hope Jackets actually start winning. But if they repeat the 2022-23 start, then Larsen will be gone.

Reactions: CBJx614
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad