Brad Larsen - move on or ride it out - poll

Brad Larsen - Move On or Ride It Out?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
Lars seems like a great players' coach who needs to have top notch assistants to do most of the scheming. I don't think we have that

Reactions: MoeBartoli

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Need to shake something up. I'd start with a new defensive coach. If Larsen isn't agreeable to that I'd show him the door too.

To be almost 10 games into the season and look as lost as this is inexcusable IMO.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I say hurry up and fire him so we can hire the next guy to fire in a little over a season. I like riding the coaching carosel.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Proceed with the current staff for now. But something has to change at some point if the losing trend continues, whether it's the personnel or scheme.

FO and coaches might still be hopeful that players will learn to execute the new defensive system better which would eventually stop the bleeding, but they can't be patient forever. If they play like trash tomorrow and vs the Avs maybe then Jarmo tells Lars to switch tactics to a simpler, defense-oriented game plan as a desperate attempt to right the ship. They would have plenty off-days after the Finland trip to go through another scheme change and they could test it against not-so-tough opponents on paper, such as Habs and Philly.

My prediction for the next 12 months is that Larsen continues as HC, they do some tweaks here and there with the game plan and team starts to play well enough to finish just below the WC spot in the standings. Roster moves in the off-season and the classic Jarmo slogan "internal growth within the org" bring new hope for 2023-24, no coach gets fired but they add a Brad Shaw type veteran voice behind the bench to consult Larsen. Maybe they promote Haviland from the Monsters to serve as an assistant.

Then they hope Jackets actually start winning. But if they repeat the 2022-23 start, then Larsen will be gone.

Last edited:

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
fire larsen.jpg

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
How much leeway does Lars have to change systems?

I was wondering if they brought him in to be the fun offensive coach, the Anti-Torts. Jarmo has mostly furnished him with offensively geared rush players. The stiff backbone is gone. Would Jarmo support switching to a defensive system?

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017

I was wondering if they brought him in to be the fun offensive coach, the Anti-Torts. Jarmo has mostly furnished him with offensively geared rush players. The stiff backbone is gone. Would Jarmo support switching to a defensive system?
You would probably end up with the same mess when they changed direction on Torts and went from a strong defensive team to a soft offensive minded team. They aren't built to switch to a defensive team.

If Jarmo hired Larsen to be a fun, anti-Torts guy instead of a serious coach, then that was a huge mistake by Jarmo.

As much as people talk about developing the young kids right, changing coaches and systems too much would hurt them more.

As far as Jalonen goes, I'll pass on the international coaches as a head coach.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021

You would probably end up with the same mess when they changed direction on Torts and went from a strong defensive team to a soft offensive minded team. They aren't built to switch to a defensive team.
I'm not sure if Jarmo has ever cared about roster matching well with the philosophy of HC. Gudbranson, Peeke and Gavrikov aren't tailormade for fun offense system either and yet all of them are their top-6 defensemen. Not to mention Jenner as 1C.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen, perhaps they would be simultaneously looking for a trade partner to "upgrade" the roster with some defensively strong player. Use Boqvist and Bean as trade baits.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I'm not sure if Jarmo has ever cared about roster matching well with the philosophy of HC. Gudbranson, Peeke and Gavrikov aren't tailormade for fun offense system either and yet all of them are their top-6 defensemen. Not to mention Jenner as 1C.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen, perhaps they would be simultaneously looking for a trade partner to "upgrade" the roster with some defensively strong player. Use Boqvist and Bean as trade baits.
Don't know if I feel comfortable switching to a defensive team with any of those guys. Plus we would need more defensive forwards that could still produce enough offence.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The defensive issues may be a scheme issue, I’m not sure, but the lack of offense is NOT a scheme or a talent issue. It’s a lack of compete. Being a rush only team is what junior league teams are, and it won’t work in the NHL. That’s on jarmo, not Larsen.

I don’t think it’s correctable either, not in season at least.

I’m all good with and advocated for going away from “torts” hockey of winning 2-1, but you can’t go the complete other way either. There needs to be a balance.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
The defensive issues may be a scheme issue, I’m not sure, but the lack of offense is NOT a scheme or a talent issue. It’s a lack of compete. Being a rush only team is what junior league teams are, and it won’t work in the NHL. That’s on jarmo, not Larsen.

I don’t think it’s correctable either, not in season at least.

I’m all good with and advocated for going away from “torts” hockey of winning 2-1, but you can’t go the complete other way either. There needs to be a balance.
You're right. They may have gone too far the other way at the expense of toughness. You don't need a bunch of goons, but you need to be more physical than they are. Watching the Ottawa game and seeing Tkachuk score, we kind of need someone like him. A pest with some toughness that can score. A younger Foligno type guy.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Would the CBJ hfboards fans embrace/support going back to a “defensive system”??

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Would the CBJ hfboards fans embrace/support going back to a “defensive system”??

Given where we are as a team: My number one criteria for judging Larsen is whether he is making our kids better hockey players. My number one criteria for judging Vogelhuber is whether he is making our kids better hockey players. My number two criteria for judging Jarmo is whether we have the right people in place to make our kids better. (Number one is whether he has/is acquiring the right pieces.)

To me, I want a system the kids can learn and grow from. I could give a crap whether it is offensive or defensive. Hopefully it is a bit of both. I was willing to sacrifice some defense if there is offensive growth. I am willing to sacrifice some offense if there would be the chance for defensive growth.

Right now we are a dumpster fire. Yes our schedule isn’t helping us, but we looked awful at home against possibly the worst team in the league. I don’t know if the kids are learning and being developed. It might be too early to judge.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
You're right. They may have gone too far the other way at the expense of toughness. You don't need a bunch of goons, but you need to be more physical than they are. Watching the Ottawa game and seeing Tkachuk score, we kind of need someone like him. A pest with some toughness that can score. A younger Foligno type guy.

I don’t like the “mix” of the forwards or the defense.

What continues to stare us all in the face and a huge reason for the teams issues, is them lacking another ACTUAL top pairing defenseman and the overall mix and quality of the players playing center.

Jenner should be used on a “defensive” or “2 way” line that logs HEAVY minutes. What wingers could we play with him in a defensive role, playing “top 6” minutes?? We definitely lack another GOOD “two way” forward, Kuraly/Robinson ain’t it.

It’s held against him because he’s the only guy on the roster ACTUALLY CAPABLE to be able to center a NHL “1st line”.
He’s not a “good” fit with our top wingers, but, he’s still the best fit, because of what Laine/Gaudreau AND our other centers lack.

We have guys who could play with Laine/Gaudreau that would fit better “stylistically” and would probably look better in the offensive zone, but, would more than likely be a net negative, as they would be outplayed in other aspects all over the ice.

Not to mention, the lack of overall mobility and puck movement coming from the defense.

Sdrawkcab321

Oct 12, 2014
Cleveland
Throw a boat load of gold at trotz. I don’t see any reason why this would be a bad move. We should be actively attempting this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad