Prospect Info: Bowen Byram - D [2019: 4th Overall] Part II: Now serving a side of overconfidence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Like Jost?

do we get get to do the same to the posters who constantly defend the prospect only to then turn out wrong?

Is this what this site needs to be? Everyone pointing fingers at everyone else whenever they’re wrong?

sounds utterly childish to me.

This is literally the reason people end up keeping their opinion on prospects to themselves. Because there always has to be the few guys going around having to correct what a wrong opinion from the past.

precisely why I barely comment on prospects. Much more enjoyable to avoid the guys who have to point and tell me how wrong I was.

If you pay real close attention... Certain posters around here essentially are here strictly to do this.

Best is to just ignore them and laugh at them from afar.

Reactions: LTC Pain

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
This is how I personally would do it:

Girard - Makar
Toews - Johnson
Graves - Timmins
Cole

Timmins won't be starting for Cole. No chance. What has he shown to deserve a starting role on a cup contending team?

Also, coaches love their old dependable veterans. Cole may be the whipping boy around here but he is still a solid veteran bottom pair Dman..

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Graves - Makar
Girard - Toews
Byram - Johnson
Cole

Timmins gets called up when the blue line inevitably gets torn to shreds due to injury.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
It’s going to be such a blend on the D this year. With the amount of flexibility there is, i don’t think we’ll have a set pairing all season unless all 3 are working well.

Reactions: MarkT

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Graves, meet Cole. Cole, Graves. Bednar has a love of veteran Cup winners and Graves you just signed a fancy new contract, but you both are not Top 4 material. So you two will be glued at the robotic hips to each other as the 5-6 for the whole season. Who gets top bunk in the bubble?

Reactions: LTC Pain

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I prefer
Toews-Makar
Girard-Johnson
Byram-Graves
Cole
Did Graves ever play on the right side? Seems like a recipe for disaster.

Also where is Timmins?

Timmins won't be starting for Cole. No chance. What has he shown to deserve a starting role on a cup contending team?

Also, coaches love their old dependable veterans. Cole may be the whipping boy around here but he is still a solid veteran bottom pair Dman..
You may have missed the part that says how *I* would do it, it wasn't how I think Bednar will do it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Did Graves ever play on the right side? Seems like a recipe for disaster.

I don't think they ever really tried Graves on the right. I have a vague recollection of maybe one or two shifts out of necessity, but he's almost exclusively been on the left.

Girard, Zadorov, and Cole have been the LD that they've usually moved to the right.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

As for Byram, he believes he could step into an NHL job tomorrow “with how I feel on the ice now.”

“After being there with an NHL team for so long, I think I can play,” said Byram. “Everything is really in my hands. You can look at their roster. You can talk about guys they have, guys they don’t have, what they need. I just have to go and show that I’m ready to play.

“If you’re good enough to play, they’re not going to send you down. That’s just my mindset — go ready to play and go thinking that I’m going to play.”

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

As for Byram, he believes he could step into an NHL job tomorrow “with how I feel on the ice now.”

“After being there with an NHL team for so long, I think I can play,” said Byram. “Everything is really in my hands. You can look at their roster. You can talk about guys they have, guys they don’t have, what they need. I just have to go and show that I’m ready to play.

“If you’re good enough to play, they’re not going to send you down. That’s just my mindset — go ready to play and go thinking that I’m going to play.”

So much cock. Love this kids attitude. Now go get an NHL job young blood.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Oh I see how it is, he's trying to replace EJ as my favorite Av once he retires. :thumbu:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He was good last year just not exceptional. Wouldn't say he was mediocre.

Regarding the world junior tournament?

Maybe by the end of the tournament he was playing good, his first two games were much worse than mediocre though.

Canada's entire Defense was prettt underwhelming last year tbh. Hard to be too critical of them considering they won gold but that team was carried by some elite offense really. The defense was never great, just managed to be "good enough" by the end of it.

I expect Bo to dominate this tournament this year. And play some stupidly high minutes akin to what Chabot did a few years ago.

He and Drysdale for that matter should play 25 minutes a night. Largely because the rest of the Defense is pretty underwhelming once again IMO.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I thought Bo was fine at last years world juniors. For his own standards I’m sure he would have liked to produce more, but I thought he played well defensively. He was unspectacular, but got the job done.

The big role should be great for his development this year.

On another note, I hope Newhook is played at centre for camp and the tournament.

Reactions: Foppa2118

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah I think offensively Bo underwhelmed at the last WJC. But by the end of the tourney he was playing some impressive shutdown defense and played a big part in Canada getting the gold.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Byram didn’t get the easy points as he was not on the PP1 unit but he was playing a more conservative game and not rushing the puck as much. After the first game they expanded his role and he was on the first unit PK as well. In the gold medal game he played the most of anyone including over 9 minutes in the third period alone. He was only on ice for 2 goals against the whole tourney and that includes PK.

Making the WJC is a blessing and a curse. I try to keep that in mind.

I don’t think Newhook is going to play center with the options Canada has.

Reactions: Foppa2118

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Byram didn’t get the easy points as he was not on the PP1 unit but he was playing a more conservative game and not rushing the puck as much. After the first game they expanded his role and he was on the first unit PK as well. In the gold medal game he played the most of anyone including over 9 minutes in the third period alone. He was only on ice for 2 goals against the whole tourney and that includes PK.

Making the WJC is a blessing and a curse. I try to keep that in mind.

I don’t think Newhook is going to play center with the options Canada has.
I honestly like that he was given the defensive roles at the tourney. It will serve him well in the NHL, because we need him to become a two-way force, not another Makar. I'd love to see him become an EJ type where he kills penalties and take defensive roles, his fundamentals are sound in that regard already and anything to nurture that aspect is good for him.

That's the big reason I want him far away from the WHL next year. He'll develop bad habits defending at a lower level, getting his lumps in against NHL talent is going to be the best thing for him to improve there. With his IQ and mobility, I think he can adapt pretty quickly to defending.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I honestly like that he was given the defensive roles at the tourney. It will serve him well in the NHL, because we need him to become a two-way force, not another Makar. I'd love to see him become an EJ type where he kills penalties and take defensive roles, his fundamentals are sound in that regard already and anything to nurture that aspect is good for him.

That's the big reason I want him far away from the WHL next year. He'll develop bad habits defending at a lower level, getting his lumps in against NHL talent is going to be the best thing for him to improve there. With his IQ and mobility, I think he can adapt pretty quickly to defending.

Maybe I’m too low on Byram, but I don’t think he could become another Makar even if he wanted to.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Maybe I’m too low on Byram, but I don’t think he could become another Makar even if he wanted to.
No, I think you're 100% right. I just mean that putting up big point totals and driving offense doesn't need to be his game in the NHL for him to be a good pick.

Makar is a special talent that could be bordering on generational, it's no slight to Byram to say he isn't going to be that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig