Prospect Info: Bowen Byram - D [2019: 4th Overall] Part II: Now serving a side of overconfidence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
What about Ellis? You don't trade your blue-chip 18 year old defenseman for a 29 year old second pairing defenseman signed until he's 36 years old. It's certainly possible Byram doesn't become as good as Ellis but no NHL team makes that move, especially in the salary cap era.

Wouldn't do it. Just for discussions sake.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Whose the last top five pick to be traded before playing a single game for his drafting team? Wheeler? It just doesn't happen and nor should it in most cases. If you can get someone like Seth Jones or Hampus Lindholm right now then by all means go ahead but that's not happening.

See, this is where difference in opinions on players can come into play.

Personally, I wouldn't trade Byram for Lindholm. I've just never been a huge fan of his and at this stage I'd rather bank on Byram turning out a better player. Jones? I'd buy a flight over to the Czech Republic tomorrow to inform Byram personally that he was traded to the Blue Jackets for Jones.

Since we're talking about guys who aren't even remotely available(Seth Jones), a couple other Dmen I would move Byram for include Jaccob Slavin, Colton Parayko, John Klingberg... It would take Byram+ but those are Dmen that just make us ridiculously hard to beat.

I'd also have to think long and hard about Mattias Ekholm. 3 Playoff runs with Ekholm/Makar as your top pairing while Ekholm makes just 3.75M is 3 very good chances at winning a cup. Think I'd ultimately stay away just because of Ekholms age and the rugged game he plays would lead to some concerns about wear and tear.

Personally, there's a few forwards I'd consider as well. Basically, even though I really, genuinely am a huge Byram fan(And yes you can be critical of a player you still really like, breaking news I know)... I wouldn't make him untouchable if a deal for a ~25 year old Forward or Dman, with term left on his deal and who's a legit impact Top line/Top pairing level guy were to become available. If I think it can make us significantly better over the next 3-4 years I would move Bo.

Reactions: Tralfamadore

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
See, this is where difference in opinions on players can come into play.

Personally, I wouldn't trade Byram for Lindholm. I've just never been a huge fan of his and at this stage I'd rather bank on Byram turning out a better player. Jones? I'd buy a flight over to the Czech Republic tomorrow to inform Byram personally that he was traded to the Blue Jackets for Jones.

Since we're talking about guys who aren't even remotely available(Seth Jones), a couple other Dmen I would move Byram for include Jaccob Slavin, Colton Parayko, John Klingberg... It would take Byram+ but those are Dmen that just make us ridiculously hard to beat.

I'd also have to think long and hard about Mattias Ekholm. 3 Playoff runs with Ekholm/Makar as your top pairing while Ekholm makes just 3.75M is 3 very good chances at winning a cup. Think I'd ultimately stay away just because of Ekholms age and the rugged game he plays would lead to some concerns about wear and tear.

Personally, there's a few forwards I'd consider as well. Basically, even though I really, genuinely am a huge Byram fan(And yes you can be critical of a player you still really like, breaking news I know)... I wouldn't make him untouchable if a deal for a ~25 year old Forward or Dman, with term left on his deal and who's a legit impact Top line/Top pairing level guy were to become available. If I think it can make us significantly better over the next 3-4 years I would move Bo.

Pretty much all of my same thoughts as well. Except I'd likely just hold on to Byram rather than move him for a forward.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Yes we are.

giphy.gif

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
It's even worse, that poster never even said that Cale should be sent down back then. He said that if Cale struggled more...back when Cale was struggling defensively...he'd send him down to dominate the AHL for a bit so his confidence wasn't rattled.

But reading a post before you mischaracterize it is counterproductive, so I get why certain posters refuse to give it a try.
Cale was doing fine. People were overreacting like crazy.

People were starting to agree with that poster as well. It wasn't just one posted. Just like it wasn't one person dismissing Byram.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Cale was doing fine. People were overreacting like crazy.

People were starting to agree with that poster as well. It wasn't just one posted. Just like it wasn't one person dismissing Byram.

I've noticed that you prefer to just make things up, so let me ask if you can provide a link supporting any of these claims?

No? Didn't think so...

Last edited:

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
My two cents:

The hyper-focused critical posts nit-picking a prospect's game, with no counter-point extolled their positives, is what may lead some to think that a certain poster does not like, never liked, or has lost faith in said prospect. (and by that, I mean whichever poster is writing that post or chain of posts....not side-eyeing anyone in particular).

Many of us are guilty of it. And the opposite....where we gush about aspects of a players skillset while neglecting the flaws.

Is Byram perfect...no. Is he ready for the NHL...not yet. Has he looked good in this tournament...overall, yes. He has made mistakes, he has been beaten, he has not showed up on the scoresheet nearly as much as I expected, yet his game has been a net positive. His defensive game has been a pleasant surprise to me, despite the areas he still needs to work on. His offensive game is showing how much he needs to get used to playing with a skilled roster...too much time being the main guy has taught him bad habits already, or at least failed to teach him how to play as part of an elite unit. But I still see the potential...just maybe temper expectations a bit.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
People also need to remember that Bo is not that far from being eligible for this years draft. He’s got a lot of growing to do still.

This part is true and I've emphasized this quite a bit in my posts even when being critical of him.

He's an 18 year old on a Defense that's filled with 19 year olds(And a 17 year old #7D who btw looks ridiculously good for his age here today).

Look at what that extra year from being an 18 year old to being a 19 year old at this tournament did for Lafrenniere, Hayton, and Veleno.

I fully expect Byram to be the Captain and a massive, massive piece for this team at the tournament next year if he's at it.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Laf is younger than Byram.

I worded that poorly. I meant look what the extra year of development for those guys did for them at the tournament. I am obviously aware Laf is younger than Byram.

All 3 of those guys were here last year and all 3 were nothing more than depth guys who played minor roles for that Canada team.

A year later and the 3 of them are 3 of Canada's most important guys and the ones carrying this team to where they are now.

Byram will be relied up on and expected to do the same if he's at this tournament again next year.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
I've noticed that you prefer to just make things up, so let me ask if you can provide a link supporting any of these claims?

No? Didn't think so...
LMAO...You're answering your own question. i just disproved you guys when you said no one dismissed Byram.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad