Prospect Info: Bowen Byram - D [2019: 4th Overall] Part II: Now serving a side of overconfidence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
9D35D381-AE06-4FF8-80D4-C5DF0D4762BB.jpeg

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Byram for Ekholm? Sign me up, that's an Iginla for Nieuwendyk trade if I've ever seen one and its hard to say it didn't work out for Dallas

Byram may be great, Ekholm already is, and that contract is insane

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Byram for Ekholm? Sign me up, that's an Iginla for Nieuwendyk trade if I've ever seen one and its hard to say it didn't work out for Dallas

Hard pass. Ekholm is very good but is 29. Byram could easily be the better player of the two. I'm only trading Byram for a current top pairing guy who's like 26 maybe 27 or under. And that's pretty unlikely to be available.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
When did Ekholm go from a 1st pairing defenseman to a 2nd pairing defenseman

Edit: I don't mean 1st on Nashville, I'm aware Josi exists. He'd be an ideal partner for Makar, and if you win the Cup even once with Ekholm, you make that trade 10 times out of 10.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
When did Ekholm go from a 1st pairing defenseman to a 2nd pairing defenseman

Edit: I don't mean 1st on Nashville, I'm aware Josi exists. He'd be an ideal partner for Makar, and if you win the Cup even once with Ekholm, you make that trade 10 times out of 10.
I mean he plays second pairing and has for a long time. But I get your point, he’s top pairing quality.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

You'd trade all of Byram's career for a 29 year old who capped out as a second pairing? IMO, that's Byram's floor and he's f***ing 18.

Reactions: milehigh11

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Hard pass. Ekholm is very good but is 29. Byram could easily be the better player of the two. I'm only trading Byram for a current top pairing guy who's like 26 maybe 27 or under. And that's pretty unlikely to be available.

While I wouldn't complain about Bo maxing out at Ekholm's level, a) he could well be even better and (more importantly) b) Ekholm is too much older than Bo and would also be out-of-sync with our forwards, with the core forwards likely to still be in cup-shape when Ekholm starts falling off.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Ekholm's age in relation to the rest of our roster is a factor. Not much else being brought up is

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Career high 44 points and his next best years are all in the mid-to-low 30's. Being 29 and having played on a dominate team for years, you'd think he'd put up better numbers than that in his career.

Great defenseman, no doubt, but he needs more production to be considered 'top pairing' IMO. Great shutdown defenseman top four absolutely, but second pairing. Absolutely not worth giving up Byram for.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Career high 44 points and his next best years are all in the mid-to-low 30's. Being 29 and having played on a dominate team for years, you'd think he'd put up better numbers than that in his career.

Great defenseman, no doubt, but he needs more production to be considered 'top pairing' IMO. Great shutdown defenseman top four absolutely, but second pairing. Absolutely not worth giving up Byram for.

You're under-selling Ekholm. If he had played for us that entire time he'd have been the best blueliner we had between Blake & Makar, by a decisive margin.

His age means a Bo-Ekholm swap wouldn't make sense for us, but he's been a highend #2 for a long time now; like Hjalmarson back in the Hawks cup-days

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
It's very easy to have a best-case scenario outlook with Byram, a guy who while undoubtedly talented and young is having a not-fantastic D+1 year. He could be Cam Barker for all we know

Mattias Ekholm is not Cam Barker, would be top pairing on our team, and is signed for 3 years at $3.75. Hit me with that action all day every day, because we are in our window right now, not when Byram may or may not peak

Edit: the admitted negative caveat to acquiring Ekholm would be the temptation to sign him long-term when that may not be a great idea

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's very easy to have a best-case scenario outlook with Byram, a guy who while undoubtedly talented and young is having a not-fantastic D+1 year. He could be Cam Barker for all we know

Mattias Ekholm is not Cam Barker, would be top pairing on our team, and is signed for 3 years at $3.75. Hit me with that action all day every day, because we are in our window right now, not when Byram may or may not peak

Edit: the admitted negative caveat to acquiring Ekholm would be the temptation to sign him long-term when that may not be a great idea

We're in our window now...or will be as soon as the blueline catches up...but we should also still be in our window when Ekholm expires; especially if Mack was serious about taking less & Landy doesn't screw us with his next deal.

That's the problem with moving Bo for Ekholm, we still end up with our forwards & blueliners out of sync only in the opposite direction. Which is also why I'd look for a cheaper stopgap to play with Cale like Murray, while letting Byram develop into whatever he's going to grow into.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If Ekholm was 25 or 26 I think there wouldn't be much pushback on that proposal. But at 29 it's just not a smart move imo.

*as much

Folks would still get mad at moving futures for what you hope those futures become...see how much I got yelled at for suggesting we use "a pick that could end up just as good as Drae" on drae before Chia was fired lol...but yeah. If Ekholm's age lined up with MacK n Mikko's, the idea would make a lot more sense.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
You're under-selling Ekholm. If he had played for us that entire time he'd have been the best blueliner we had between Blake & Makar, by a decisive margin.

His age means a Bo-Ekholm swap wouldn't make sense for us, but he's been a highend #2 for a long time now; like Hjalmarson back in the Hawks cup-days

I agree with this but I think it says more about the Avs defensive history than it does about Ekholm. I'm just not as high on Ekholm as you guys are around apparently. I think he's a fine complementary defenseman, sure fire top 4, but that's about it.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010

IMO Byram if he doesn’t work out is more likely to be an EJ or JBouw type disappointment relative to draft position than a Barker-esque disaster.

Reactions: Ararana and AvsGuy

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Hey we found a worse trade than Seth Jones for Ryan Johansen and Nashville (a division rival) ends up on the right side of it this time sweet ...

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Gah, Ekholm's already 29!? Damn, I'm getting old. I was just lamenting the fact that I remember Howie Long playing in his prime, and now his friggin' son is even retired from the league.

I'm pretty much with the consensus--I think that's probably a decent trade if Ekholm is still in his mid-to-late twenties, but now? Pass.

I don't think there's anything keeping Byram from being an Avalanche player unless someone serves up an offer Joe can't refuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->