Prospect Info: Bowen Byram - D [2019: 4th Overall] Part II: Now serving a side of overconfidence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Sorry for contributing to the can of worms. :laugh:

Back to Byram, I don't know if I missed this posted earlier in the year when things were crazy, but I just noticed this interview from back in late July.

Flow in full effect.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

You can really start to see as the season went on Byram is just dicking around with the competition. He needs a tougher league.

Those Byram-to-Nielsen PP one-timers will soon be replaced with Byram-to-Rantanen. :naughty:

He's probably too talented to send back to the WHL. Maybe if the season is shortened and/or condensed we could keep him in the NHL as a 6/7 guy to rotate with Cole, and possibly also let him play the WJC in mid-season to get him some more action.

Reactions: Perratrooper

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Thanks for the reminder of Byram’s talent. Those last two goals were in a comeback in the last game he played. One highlight reminds me he loves to do is while shorthanded have the goalie stretch pass it to him while the other team is changing for a breakaway.

Also reminder from the Black Book

“His hands compliment his skating ability. He has good skating mechanics, excellent two-step area quickness and solid straight-line speed which allows him to rush the puck. However, arguably the most impressive aspect of Byram’s skating is his ability to pivot using his edges. There are very few players in this class who can be as elusive as Bowen is due to how suddenly he can shift his position. This gives him a rare level of escapability in-tight spaces and when walking-the-line. When you combine the aforementioned attributes with his hockey-sense, you get a defenseman who can drive-play in the offensive-end by using a multi-faceted attack. His wrist-shot was his preferred option in our viewings, featuring a plus release point, including the ability to suddenly shift the angle of his shot while in motion”

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Those Byram-to-Nielsen PP one-timers will soon be replaced with Byram-to-Rantanen. :naughty:

He's probably too talented to send back to the WHL. Maybe if the season is shortened and/or condensed we could keep him in the NHL as a 6/7 guy to rotate with Cole, and possibly also let him play the WJC in mid-season to get him some more action.

Unless something goes seriously wrong with Makar's development, that should never happen.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think you're talented at mental gymnastics, but I don't think you're right on this one
Meh, I don't think @Pierce Hawthorne is wrong in his evaluation...just like I can't argue against the blokes who have Karlsson as number one for the Norris and other blokes who put Jones as number one for the Norris. They're both different defenders who pride themselves in different parts of the game.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Makar is a mid-range #1.

Girard is a low-end #1.

Toews is a low-end #2 / high-end #3

Johnson is a mid-range / low-end #4

Graves is a low-end #4 / high-end #5

Cole is a high end #6.
I would say...

Makar: #2 defence with defensive issues (will probably develop into an offensive #1)

Girard: High-end #3 defence with physical issues (will probably develop into a low-end #2)

Toews: Mid-pairing defence (probably between #3 to #4, but can play #3 minutes)

Johnson: Low-end #4 defence (would be a lot higher if not for injury issues)

Graves: #5 defence (straight forward)

Cole: High-end #6 defence (Agreed)

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I would say...

Makar: #2 defence with defensive issues (will probably develop into an offensive #1)

Girard: High-end #3 defence with physical issues (will probably develop into a low-end #2)

Not too stoked on the defence, eh?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not too stoked on the defence, eh?
I love them, I've argued in the past that we can win the Cup based on the overall committee instead of relying on a couple of players like other teams do. Plus factor in that Byram, Timmins, Helleson, and Barron all have pretty decent chance of increasing the overall talent of the defensive core into a better committee.

Reactions: Richard88

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I love them, I've argued in the past that we can win the Cup based on the overall committee instead of relying on a couple of players like other teams do. Plus factor in that Byram, Timmins, Helleson, and Barron all have pretty decent chance of increasing the overall talent of the defensive core into a better committee.

Gotcha. It just seemed like you had them ranked as a below average NHL defence from your ratings. But, I understand what you’re saying. :thumbu:

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I would say...

I would say Graves is a high end 5 for sure and EJ is a high end number 4 even with injuries.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
For next season I would say....

Makar: #1D, potentially Norris consideration

Girard: High end #2D

Toews: #3D and eventually Makar's partner as the season progresses.

EJ: Mid-Low end #4D

Graves: High end #5

Cole: ECHL fighter

Timmins: High end #5

That's how I see them playing next year for us.

Reactions: 95snipes

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Islanders must have one f***ing awesome defense if Toews was their #5 but becomes a #2 on a SC contender.

I get that he can be Makar's partner until Byram is ready but to label him as a #2/#3 in a vacuum is just not right.

Reactions: McMetal

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Islanders must have one f***ing awesome defense if Toews was their #5 but becomes a #2 on a SC contender.

I get that he can be Makar's partner until Byram is ready but to label him as a #2/#3 in a vacuum is just not right.

10 points in 22 games in the playoffs....on the Islanders. He must have factored into half their goals.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
10 points in 22 games in the playoffs....on the Islanders. He must have factored into half their goals.
So? He was still their #5 on their depth chart. 10 points in 22 games didn't change that.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Unless something goes seriously wrong with Makar's development, that should never happen.
You can have both Makar and Byram on the PP...

------------- Landeskog -----------
Mackinnon ------------ Rantanen
------- Makar -------- Byram -----

But yeah you're right, that's probably not the idea setup. Byram will be a beast on PP2 though one would imagine.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

He was their 4D. And I’d say their defense is pretty damn good I would say. I don’t think saying he’s a 3/4D is that out of whack. Top pairing is a bit much though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad