Prospect Info: Bowen Byram - D [2019: 4th Overall] Part II: Now serving a side of overconfidence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
#1 at spins, that's for damn sure

tumblr_py44gkCkao1qh5f04o1_500.gifv

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Alright, try this little exercise and see how it goes.

List 50 Dmen in the league right now you think is better than Girard.

After making a list, definitely top 50 and can see an argument for top 30, but I can also see how others will view him closer to 40-50.

Clearly better (25):

Carlson
Josi
Hedman
Hughes
Pietrangelo
Karlsson
Suter
Theodore
Werenski
Hamilton

Chabot
Weber
Ellis
Provorov
Slavin
Pulock
Heiskanen
Doughty
Klingberg
McAvoy

Jones
Parayko
Rielly
Lindholm
Makar

Players I think are better, but argument for Girard (5):

Sergachev
Ekholm
Letang
Krug
Ekblad

Arguable Players (15):

Lindell
Keith
Brodin
Pesces
Trouba
Orlov
Giordano
Morrissey
OEL
Schmidt

Niskanen
Barrie
Klefbom
Petry
McDonagh
Burns

Not better but homers will say they are and potential to be:

Fox
Dahlin
Gavrikov (ok not really, but I like him)
Byram :sarcasm:

Reactions: Richard88

FreshFitted67

Jun 28, 2010
Tibet
www.kitchen.com
After making a list, definitely top 50 and can see an argument for top 30, but I can also see how others will view him closer to 40-50.

Clearly better (25):

Carlson
Josi
Hedman
Hughes
Pietrangelo
Karlsson
Suter
Theodore
Werenski
Hamilton

Chabot
Weber
Ellis
Provorov
Slavin
Pulock
Heiskanen
Doughty
Klingberg
McAvoy

Jones
Parayko
Rielly
Lindholm
Makar

Sergachev
Ekholm
Letang
Krug
Ekblad

Arguable Players (15):

Lindell
Keith
Brodin
Pesces
Trouba
Orlov
Giordano
Morrissey
OEL
Schmidt

Niskanen
Barrie
Klefbom
Petry
McDonagh
Burns

Fox
Dahlin

I got attacked pretty hard for my list, so I have to throw one obligatory criticism at yours :laugh: Gio won the Norris not this past season but the one before, are there really people arguing Girard is better than Giordano?

But good work putting the list together :thumbu: and I like the Byram addition:nod: lol

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Girard and Spurgeon are basically the same player, except Spurgeon has a shot. If Girard is a #1D to people, Spurgeon better be one too. If you believe both are, then we just disagree on the definition of a #1D and there isn't middle ground between those groups as we have seen in many debates. Leave it as a fundamental difference and move on.

Reactions: Nihiliste

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
The WHL just announced that their season starts Jan 7.

it the NHL doesn’t start until February, can Bryan go play in the WHL for a couple weeks before joining training camp?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Clearly better (25):

Carlson
Josi
Hedman
Hughes
Pietrangelo
Karlsson
Suter
Theodore
Werenski
Hamilton

Chabot
Weber
Ellis
Provorov
Slavin
Pulock
Heiskanen
Doughty
Klingberg
McAvoy

Jones
Parayko
Rielly
Lindholm
Makar

Sergachev
Ekholm
Letang
Krug
Ekblad

Arguable Players (15):

Lindell
Keith
Brodin
Pesces
Trouba
Orlov
Giordano
Morrissey
OEL
Schmidt

Niskanen
Barrie
Klefbom
Petry
McDonagh
Burns

Fox
Dahlin

This is certainly a better list then the last one :laugh:

I really don't see an argument for any of the arguable ones though tbh.

Gio has declined quite a bit the last year. OEL isn't very good anymore. Niskanen is retired ;).

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Girard and Spurgeon are basically the same player, except Spurgeon has a shot. If Girard is a #1D to people, Spurgeon better be one too. If you believe both are, then we just disagree on the definition of a #1D and there isn't middle ground between those groups as we have seen in many debates. Leave it as a fundamental difference and move on.

The debate now is about whether Girard is a Top 30 guy more so then whether he's a #1 or #2 :laugh:

I think he's a #2 as well but I also think he is a Top 30 D in the league.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Girard was the Avs #1 last season. Makar will be the Avs #1 from here on out. G might even slip to #3 if Byram develops as expected. He'll be an elite #3 though.

FreshFitted67

Jun 28, 2010
Tibet
www.kitchen.com
This is certainly a better list then the last one :laugh:

I really don't see an argument for any of the arguable ones though tbh.

Gio has declined quite a bit the last couple years. OEL isn't very good anymore. Niskanen is retired ;).

There has literally been 1 season played since Giordano won the Norris trophy for Best Defenseman in the league :huh:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Has there been any word about Byram's options next year if he doesn't make the Avs, and the WHL doesn't have a season, considering the WHL wouldn't let him play in Europe?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Nobody said Cirelli wasn't good. They said it didn't make sense to trade the consensus top defensive prospect in hockey for a 3C.

Reactions: avsfan09

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Tbf it'd be for a 2C as he'd knock Kadri down to 3C. But I'm also not advocating it'd be smart to trade Byram yet.

It's possible it could play out like that, but it's more likely it won't. They brought in Kadri specifically to give him more opportunity as a 2C instead of the 3C he was in Toronto.

Kadri also has career highs of two 32 goal seasons and 61 and 55 points. Last season he was on pace for 31 goals and 58 points.

Before last season Cirelli had career highs of 19 goals and 39 points. Last season he was on pace for 19 goals and 53 points.

So even in Cirelli's contract year, Kadri was still better.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It's possible it could play out like that, but it's more likely it won't. They brought in Kadri specifically to give him more opportunity as a 2C instead of the 3C he was in Toronto.

Kadri also has career highs of two 32 goal seasons and 61 and 55 points. Last season he was on pace for 31 goals and 58 points.

Before last season Cirelli had career highs of 19 and 14 goals, and 39 and 37 points. Last season he was on pace for 19 goals and 53 points.

So even in Cirelli's contract year, Kadri was still better.
I mean offensively Kadri has him currently, but as has been pointed out before Cirelli is more of an ROR type, so with his 50 points you're getting elite level defense. I mean it's splitting hairs though because Cirelli is obviously not coming here.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I mean offensively Kadri has him currently, but as has been pointed out before Cirelli is more of an ROR type, so with his 50 points you're getting elite level defense. I mean it's splitting hairs though because Cirelli is obviously not coming here.

Yeah but lets not forget Kadri is a pretty high end defensive center himself. A lot of his reputation is based on shutting down top opponents all by himself.

Also, offensive production is usually what determines whether a coach puts a player in the 2C or 3C role.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
That depends. When Cirelli wins a Selke before Byram is even off his ELC can we laugh at the ones who didn't think he was that good?

Cause I'll gladly sign up for that list.
Seriously... people need to watch Cirellli. He’s elite defensively and very solid at ES. With decent PP time... he’s a 60 point player now. Maybe 65-70. He’s ROR that can skate and will lay a hit. You’d think people here would appreciate that.

He’s not offersheeted because they are rare (will be more so in a flat cap world) and Tampa takes care of their own. They always do, so players fall in line. Point could be getting almost 4m more a season if he wanted to play in Montreal. Took less to stay in Tampa and stick with that organization, who will take care of him when his bridge is up.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
That depends. When Cirelli wins a Selke before Byram is even off his ELC can we laugh at the ones who didn't think he was that good?

Cause I'll gladly sign up for that list.
Yeah and if Byram hits his ceiling we will all be laughing. This has nothing to do with how good Cirelli is and everything to do with not getting a Byram level player unless you draft them.

Would love to see the look on Sakic’s face if you were to ask him about this trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad